manage current playing

mephisto

Hi, here's a new request:

I saw that we have access to the current playing list, but only to play further songs, no managing options seem available. For me, it will be usefull to make this list as a temporary playlist, so you can add a song/album/artist from the library in the current playing playlist. For exemple, when you long press a song, you have + playlist as usual, and play now (will play immediatly, current playing song will be back after the one inserted), play next (will play after the current playing song) and play end (songs will be played after the last song of the playing list).

I'm not sure that it's clear, but you can have a look on Lithium player, it is also a great player, the one I was using.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the ability to manage ANY playlist would be helpful. Basically, more powerful management features (move items up and down the list, select multiple items to delete from a playlist or add to a playlist, etc). Also, sorting options would be useful (sort by artist, title, etc). These are common features in desktop players, and would easily woo people away from other players with these kinds of features (Coreplayer comes to mind).

Thanks for the request!

PowerAMP currently focused on Folder Playing, support for Library and Playlists will be improved in next versions, still it will be kept as simple as possible (there won't be 10+ buttons to add to various playlists as in other players).

PowerAMP playlists are live, i.e. if you're playing giving playlist, you are free to add songs to it and they will be peeked up automatically without the need to reload playlist as in other players. This way ADD TO PL actually works as enqueue to playlist, when the playlist is currently played.

Current playlist entry seems to be useful though - either via additional top item in select playlists dialog, or via some icon for current playlist in that dialog.

Also, standard android os player uses conception of "current list" which always resides in memory and it contains the songs you previously selected. (This approach copied by many other players, which just use modified sources of standard player in this department). If you select single song, current list will contain only this song, for example.

PowerAMP doesn't follow this approach. Instead it actually plays the selection made by user, there is no intermediate "current list". If you select single song, it will continue to next song in the list, etc. This approach better fits Folder mode, it takes less memory, it can be optimized better, shuffle history can be non-limited length (it's limited in other players), and, I think, it's less confusing and more usable.

But if we're not listening to a playlist but an album, we can not enqueue an other song we want to listen without stoping lecture. This is for me different from playlist as they exist yet in Poweramp. In Lithium, it seems to be very simple: long press on a song/album open a pop-up menu with "play now", play next', "play last", "add to playlist", "edit" and "delete". I don't know if it will fit with your layout, or the application architecture, but it will be great. Otherwise we have to create a "playing" playlist, and erase it every time... A little bit annoying when you've reach such a quality with the others features.

Thanks

I understand you concern. It's possible to add "play this next" action (PowerAMP will move to that song after current one finishes), but adding many songs to queue without current playlist will require "current list" approach. It may be possible to implement some virtual queue though, I will think about this more.

Thanks anyway!

I agree with the simple "enqueue to active playlist" philosophy.

I was just wondering if it's possible to edit playlists. Moving items up and down and selecting multiple files to add/remove are important when making a playlist. Currently we have to add items one by one, and we can't rearrange the playlist once made. We have to start from scratch if we want to play one song or one folder before the others, for example.

An enqueue option similar to WinAmp's, that is, when you play a song outside of a playlist and want to queue up several songs without creating a playlist, but rather a song queue, would be a great feature addition and put it over the top.

Once you add the ability to enqueue, I'm sold.

+1 on this feature request. Even if the playlists are live, it still would require user to maintain a currently playing playlist. Please give us a "Now Playing" playlist and a long-tap on list item will give us option to either add to a playlist or Now-Playing along with other options. I believe it is more natural way of playing music for users also.

+1 on this as well. Its not about playlists, just about knowing what album (or two) I want to listen to next.

Btw, Poweramp is absolutely brilliant. Android really needed a music player this good. Iphone has Itunes, and both PalmOS and WinMo have Pocket Tunes - Android seriously needed Poweramp. Thanks!

I support this request as well. It's the one differentiating feature that keeps me using WinAmp over Poweramp. I couldn't care less about playlists, all I want to do is enqueue multiple albums, exactly like WinAmp lets you do. My typical use is, I find and album I want to listen to, click play, find additional 2-3 albums and enqueue them up so they will play in order, uninterrupted. I don't want to create playlists for this.

• 3 weeks later...

YES PLEASE!

This is my biggest gripe with Poweramp too. I'm afraid you're reinventing a perfectly good wheel here maxmpz ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72&hilit=queue&sid=0c9d07d720b28cbd2fae7a9c036221b6#p205 ) and the invention seems to be actually "more confusing and less usable". What I and apparently many (most ?) other users need is really just a simple plain old WinAmp style playqueue to which you may add files from a) folder view, B) library view and c) playlists (I don't personally care much about c) or even B) for that matter but I understand others may). The whole concept of "live playlists" is just strange and I end up having just one folder playlist (which I naturally call "folder playqueue") to which I add single songs and whole folders to be played. It is obviously possible to live with that but it is extremely cumbersome and the fact that the playing order cannot be manipulated and songs can only be added from the folder view and not the library view only adds salt to the wound.

Please reconsider your approach and consider adding the following features which are repeated in many posts in this thread:

1) simple central WinAmp (PC) style playqueue instead of "live playlists",

2) play order manipulation in the playqueue (PlayerPro does that pretty well),

3) multiple item operations in the playqueue (remove from playque, move within playqueue).

Am I forgetting anything?

Anyway thanks a lot for a great player, the design and some of the functionality are unparalleled on Android, it's really awesome (apart from the a-bit-too-original approach to playlists/playqueue)!

Petr

I think for folders everyone gets what is pretty expected - sequential or random(shuffle) playing of files.

For the library - yes, it's a bit different from stock player, as it applies the same approach as for folders - sequential playing of songs from the list without creating intermediate virtual current playing list.

Queue support will make it very similar to virtual current playlist - and it will also work for folders. Also, there will be option not to stop after queue ends, but to return to the last position in the latest played list and continue.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for queuing songs.

I wanted to add a song to the dynamic queue yesterday and was surprised that a player with so many features didn't support it.

I have Amarok on my desktop PC and I use its queuing ability all the time.

Would be really nice if we would see this in Poweramp soon.

+1 on this one.

I am still using Winamp on my Desire (2.2), even though I really like the bass boosted sound of Poweramp and the blue look better.

The only thing that keeps me clinging on to Winamp is that I also like to "play DJ" for myself when I'm on the road. While listening to a song I browse through the library and find songs I enqueue to be played next. Winamp then also allows you to change the order of the "now playing queue" by dragging the songs up and down. To be honest, that's a really nice feature... :ugeek:

Today I decided to install the Poweramp trial again to see if such a feature has now been added. I'm happy to see that there might be something coming and hereby wanted to add my voice to the (minor) choir :D

Good luck developing and you'll definitely have my cash as soon as the queuing is happening ;)

+1

I'm also showing my support for this request. Creating a playlist just to manage a list of songs I don't necessarily want to save seems wrong. It needs to be similar (if not identical) to Winamp's enqueue feature. My preferred music player on the desktop (http://banshee.fm), has this feature. Also, I used it in Winamp when I was on Windows heavily.

If and when this is implemented, I'll be buying this player.

Thanks for taking the time to create Poweramp. Other developers need to realize that a good UI is important.

P.S. You're name is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Cubed has my favorite implementation of current playing list, and I've never seen it implemented anywhere else. I'm probably going to do a bad job explaining it, but it goes somewhat like this:

• [*:1nqalspy]Clicking "Play Now" on a song clears the queue and makes it the only song in the queue.
    [*:1nqalspy]If there are no other songs in the queue, then the player will just play songs straight through an album, and advance to the next album when done. The currently playing song is the only song in the queue, the song before it is always removed from the queue after playing.
    [*:1nqalspy]If a song is added to the queue, then the player will advance to that song after the currently playing song. The original song is removed from the queue after it is finished.
    [*:1nqalspy]The player always plays straight through an album, unless there are songs in the queue.

Essentially, the player would always play music non-stop. If the queue/playlist ends, then the player would player the rest of the album, picking up from the last song in the queue. It made it easy for me to queue music for car rides without having to mess with the player after the end of a playlist.

Archived