"All Songs" Option for Folder Hierarchy

catnip720

I, like many users it seems, organize my music library through folders. My primary desktop music player/organizer, MediaMonkey, has an excellent feature where you can display all the songs contained below a folder, even if those songs are not directly contained in that folder.

For example: My first folder level is sorted by gene, and after that by artist, after that by album. I would like to be able to play all the songs in my electronic genre folder, (not possible by using the library genre sort, as I have 20+ subgenre's of electronic music) instead of only being able to play one album at a time. Similarly, I would like to be able to play all the songs under an artist's folder, or any other folder that I wish, that may contain multiple subfolders.

I have been a Poweramp user since I got my first android device 4 years ago. I hope others will find this as useful as I do, and that it adds value to an already outstanding product.

As long as you have got Repeat mode set to "Advance List" (yeah, I know, perhaps not too obvious wording) then that's how Poweramp should normally behave - you start playing the first song in the first subfolder, and it will then carry on playing the contents of each subfolder in turn until you tell it to stop.

Andre

Right, but this only allows you to shuffle between the songs of one artist at a time, or one album at a time. What I am proposing is a feature that lets you see all the songs contained in a sub directory, without having to actually put them all into the same folder. An example of how this could be implemented is by having a folder at the top of the list in a hierarchy view that says "all songs" and would direct to a list of all of the songs in the folders below it. Here is an example hierarchy:

>Classic Rock

>All Songs

>(List of all songs in Classic Rock folder, which contains the Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and Aerosmith folders)

>Led Zeppelin

>All Songs

>(List of all songs in Led Zeppelin folder, which contains the BBC Sessions and Mothership folders, but nothing by Jimi Hendrix or Aerosmith)

>BBC Sessions

>Mothership

>Jimi Hendrix

>Aerosmith

This is obviously not the only way to implement this feature. Another way could be to add an "All Songs" option to the folder options overflow. This could direct the user to suddenly generated playlist with all the previous songs, without having to add them to a playlist.

Something that I thought I addressed in a post immediately after my first is the possibility that something like this already exists, and I just haven't located the option or setting. Hopefully this is the case, and if so please post directions to said option/setting!

Ah, you're talking about the folder view rather than just the playback order. Sounds like you're saying you'd like a full view where all folder contents are expanded by default.

Maybe an 'Expand All' tickbox for all view modes would be a good idea, so whether you are looking at Folders, Albums or Artists, you would see the full contents of every subgroup in one long list.

Andre

Optimally, yes. It's been an indispensable option on my desktop media player; having this option makes it easy to quickly play a group of songs without having to make a playlist, physically move files around, or re-navigate to the Library view that has a different organization structure than my folders do (I group one hit wonders in their own folder to reduce the number of artist folders that I see at one time).

I have just over 9000 songs in my library, and the "expand all" feature, as you called it, really helps me to listen to some artists that I really like but have forgotten about. It's a way to rediscover your music when you have such a large library, and to do so without mixing in songs that you don't want to hear, like just shuffling all songs and listening to heavy metal, then classical, then folk. It's just weird. Instead, with the right sub folder structure, I get a nice assortment of songs from various artists that are all similar enough to avoid genre collisions. And when I'm not in the mood for an assortment, I can still navigate quickly to an album and listen to it all the way through and appreciate the work as a whole. 

I want to be able to do something similar to the suggestion above. I want to be able to have one seperate library for my classical genre and another for the rest. My collection is extensive. Basically when I scroll through artists or hit shuffle all I do not want to see or hear the opposite library.

Archived