Music ratings lost - Help please

Argon

Hi Folks,

Apologies for the newbie question but having acquired a new phone I thought transferring my extensive music collection would be easy as it's all on the SD card however; I re-installed Poweramp on my new [phone and inserted the SD card and all my music is there except........I have lost all of the ratings and my play lists!!!

The playlist I'm not so bothered about but I would really like to get my track ratings back as I have over 3000 tracks.

Any help you can offer would be gratefully received.

p.s. Old Phone = Sony Xperia Arc : New phone = Sony Xperia Z 

Regards, Mike

I had a similar problem when I flashed a new ROM. Had a backup of the playlists, but lost all the ratings (though I only had about 600 songs).

I think the problem/issue is that Poweramp, like iTunes and many other players, doesn't save the ratings actually TO the MP3 file (even though they support it); instead, I think, its own internal database keeps track of the ratings

If anyone knows any info regarding this, I'd be interested too! :)

~Ibrahim~

Hi Ibrahim,

For sure they are buried in a file somewhere on my old phone but I have no idea where or how to retrieve them. I have powered up my old phone and put the SD card back in it and the ratings are all still there so I know they are not completely lost they are just not on the SD card so don't transfer to my new phone!?!

Hope someone can provide some help :)

Rgds, Mike

Hi Andre,

Titanium requires the device to be ROOT'ed and neither my old or new device is. Whilst I don't really mind messing about with the old one (even though I have no idea how to ROOT a phone)  I don't want to invalidate any warranty on my new phone so would prefer to try some other method that didn't require some form of alteration to the shipped configuration

Regards, Mike.

1) It is stored in Poweramp's app data. As seen in the TODO list, "- rating sync'ing from/to tags" has not been implemented. :( Wish I could "upvote" that one suggestion, :)

2) I thought you didn't have the phone--I'm sorry! If you do, use Helium on the Play Store to backup the data. It doesn't require root, but does require a computer. Then, install Helium on the new phone and copy over the backup from the old phone. Restore and let's see what happens! :D

~Ibrahim~

Hi Ibrahim,

Just picked up your note and will have a go later today when I get back home. I still have my old phone and have checked out Helium on the Play store. It looks really promising and if it works I'll owe you big time.

I'll post results later but wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to come up with a possible solution  :)  

Rgds, Mike

p.s. I too wish that the guys would implement the ratings sync.

Hi Ibrahim, 

Regrettably that option didn't work. Helium is not compatible with my old Xperia Arc so won't load at all and in the notes it also has issues with the Xperia Z (my new phone)

If you or anyone else has any more suggestion that would be helpful

Regards, Mike

Ahhh, crap! I forgot some of the Sony devices didn't have adb backup (the method by which Helium works).

Fudge nickers. Hmm..the ratings are stored in a special partition that only root can access. ADB backup is, otherwise, a magical tool because it gets around that.

Technically, you might be able to use recovery (like a safe mode), which isn't root, to make a backup and then extract the data, but that would require effort and technological know how similar to just rooting it and restoring the data would be an even bigger pain.

From my end, the only other option I see is to temporarily root the phones. You can root it, copy the data, and then unroot it. There is no permanent change (tbh, it's just adding another user account on your phone). But, it'll take some time, patience, and trust in what aren't perfect plans.

And, really, in the end, I'm not sure how Poweramp will react when it gets a transplanted database from a totally different phone. It's a wonky method that might only be worth a bit of time...I was hoping we could quickly try it, just to see.

I'll think some more, but nothing is coming to me know.

Thanks again Ibrahim.....I'll hang on a while longer before going down the ROOT method and I think I understand what you are saying i.e. no lasting damage but if anyone else has an alternative that would be best for me. I'm no technical expert and the thought of accidentally "bricking" my new phone by trying to ROOT it does not fill me confidence :D

Thanks again, you've been really helpful so far :)

Rgds, Mike

p.s. I have managed to move my playlists now and one of them was all 5 Star tracks so all is not completely lost, sure would like my ratings database back though :).

Archived