how to add artist name to an album/tracks?

JohnB47

Hi. Ive digitised a cassette tape recording of an album. I have put the tracks in a folder and named that folder with the album name. Each track in the folder has the track name. When I call it up in Poweramp, each track shows 'unknown artist'. How can I assign the artist name to the whole album? I see how I can do this on a per track basis but not for the whole album.

Sorry, second question - does Poweramp automatically search for album art or do i have to instigate it each time i add a new album or music to my tab? Thanks.

In Poweramp menu: Settings=>Album Art=>Down Load Album Art, also you may try Full Rescan option in Settings=> Folders and Library menu, that should help you with your issue.

Thanks. Any thoughts on my other question?

Hi. Ive digitised a cassette tape recording of an album. I have put the tracks in a folder and named that folder with the album name. Each track in the folder has the track name. When I call it up in Poweramp, each track shows 'unknown artist'. How can I assign the artist name to the whole album? I see how I can do this on a per track basis but not for the whole album.

You need to add mp3 tags to each track (that's assuming you've recorded them as mp3 tracks?). If you don't know what they are then Google is your friend. On a PC you use a program called 'mp3tag' to add/edit/remove them. See ... http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ... 

However, Poweramp does now use one tag that you would find very useful (as would myself and many others!) and that is the 'album artist' tag. Instead it seems to use one of the track artists as the album artist. Saying that though, it's only really with compilation albums that it causes a problem. If your album is all one artist, and each track is 'tagged' correctly, then there is no problem as any 'random' artist from it's track list is going to be correct!

HTH

You need to add mp3 tags to each track (that's assuming you've recorded them as mp3 tracks?). If you don't know what they are then Google is your friend. On a PC you use a program called 'mp3tag' to add/edit/remove them. See ... http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ... 

However, Poweramp does now use one tag that you would find very useful (as would myself and many others!) and that is the 'album artist' tag. Instead it seems to use one of the track artists as the album artist. Saying that though, it's only really with compilation albums that it causes a problem. If your album is all one artist, and each track is 'tagged' correctly, then there is no problem as any 'random' artist from it's track list is going to be correct!

HTH

Excellent reply, thank you. Actually I use flac files but I see mp3tag works with those too. I'll download it and have a play. Looks like it will do just what I want. Thanks again.

Archived