Mediamonkey and Playlists and Poweramp, Oh My!

metoo

I Just starting using Poweramp today after a few years with Winamp. I like the sound quality and control and skins of Poweramp better, BUT...

*>> I'm totally frustrated trying to get my playlists working! I spent some time scanning this forum for an answer, but haven't found a real one yet.

I use Mediamonkey 4 on my laptop and it works great for loading my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S [android 2.2] with music and .m3u playlists.

*>> I can't get Poweramp to include new playlists when they are sync-ed onto my phone. I have the Folders/Library Scanner set to use Auto-scan, Initial scan, USB Disconnect scan, File Manager events, and System Media Scanner/MTP. All I can get from that is a list of "File-based Playlists" that are for some reason "not loaded yet".

> I've run "Import System Library Playlists" from the settings menu, but that's a horribly awkward way of getting playlists to work (don't have to do that in Winamp), AND, if I do that each time I sync my phone from MM4, it makes duplicates [...triplicates, etc.] of all my playlists! Yikes! I normally have 20-30 playlists on my phone [i teach yoga and keep a big playlist library on my phone to use in classes].

It wouldn't make sense to me that Poweramp couldn't just automatically incorporate the sync-ed playlists, but I feel stupid that I can't figure out how to make it work  :/

My music is sync-ed to the external sd-card: music in the /Music folder, and playlists in the /Playlists folder, and I set 'Folder Selection' to have those two folders checked.

Help?

EDIT: [too much 'stupid' in original post]... ha! maybe I'm only 50% stupid... I moved all my music and playlists to the internal phone memory, from the external sd card, and that actually solved the problem. Sort-of. On the external sd card those 'File-based Playlists' showed as empty--0 songs in them, but after I moved them they at least now have all the songs in them and work as playlists.

Now if they could just lose the confusing 'not loaded yet' message and the .visible '.m3u' file extension next to the playlist name...

Ok, this is maddening. The problem changed today.

Now, when I re-sync my phone from MM4, the m3u playlists are empty in Poweramp! I can't find a way to get it to see the files in the playlists... This is exactly the problem I was having on the external SD card, and now it's happening on the internal card. If I "Re-scan", then all the playlist get erased! Completely gone!

I've seen other discussion about playlist problems, without any of them being resolved in any straighforward way. This seems like it should be so simple.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be happening? What I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Ok, looks like I'm talking to myself in here, but whatev.... sometimes thinking out loud helpsl  ;)

I'm now getting convinced the problem is in the widget or lock screen. I've disabled both, cleared the app cache, wiped out all the music and playlists on my phone, and then re-loaded them from MediaMonkey. Guess what...

It's working again! 

The .m3u playlists are showing up again with all their songs, and I can play them directly! Yay!

We'll see how long it lasts, and maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try the widget or lock screen again.

• 1 month later...

Howdy.. .came across this trying to find out the same thing. Figured it would just be easy to update my playlists, dump them into the playlist folder (or wherever) and Poweramp would re-scan and update them. No such luck...  I appreciate that you fould a workaround... but, damn, it seems like this should be a really basic function of Poweramp...  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived