• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered what people use A-B Repeat for in the real world, but a lot of people do seem to want it. I've had it on CD players, etc since they were invented in the 80s, but not once in my life have I actually used it! I just can't see why I'd want to repeat-play a short portion of a track in casual everyday use. Sure for editing purposes, but not on a regular player.

Max: if you were to implement this, it might fit in well with the revised playback options that we were discussing a year ago? Just add an extra seventh option, thus:

Play One Song
Play Current List

Play All Lists

Repeat Current Song
Repeat Current List
Repeat All Lists
Repeat A-B

If the user selects the Repeat A-B option, that would define the current playback position as the 'in' point, and the option wording would change to Repeat A-B (set endpoint). When the endpoint has similarly been selected, the track would repeat continuosly between A and B until the user selects a different option. Long-press on Pause button (i.e. Stop) could revert to the previously selected playback mode.

Thoughts?

Andre

I want A-B repeat so badly :) ....It is especially good for Instrumental and Classical music where segments of the track sound the finest but also good for audio Podcasts too.

I hope it can get implemented soon. Btw, this is not the request forum

• 4 months later...

In addition to playing music like most users (I guess), I use my music players (recorders) for 3 addtional purposes:

1- Learning languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian).

2- Listen to a same section in order to find/write out notes and chords in songs (mp3, flac, wma), in order to play piano accompaniment later time.

3- As part of languages learning, I need to listen and repeat the same section (A-B segment) of reading/singing voice (vocal) to improve (and perfect) the pronounciation.

As such the A-B repeat function is very important.

Currently I still have to use the old and trustworthy Sony minidisc player or the VLC program in my Windows laptopn to accomplis the above tasks.

Definitely this feature will attract many Android owners. It will give Poweramp a definite advantage over its competitors.

Not directly related to the A-B repeat but relate to people who listen to non-music recording: an option to select and play the continuation of the previously played item (only the last or select among a limited number of bookmarks).

I often use Poweramp to listen to audio books when travel by bus, of course it is not possible to finish the whole book in one bus ride. In the next restart of the Android, it is very difficult and time consuming to browse and fast forward to the last played chapter!

In addition to listening to music the same way as most users (by playlist, shuffle, ,,,), I use my music players (recorders)
for 2 addtional purposes:

1- Learning languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian).
As part of language learning, I need to listen and repeat the same section (A-B segment) of
reading/singing voice (vocal) to improve (and perfect) the pronounciation.

2- Repeatly listen to a few measures in a instrumental/vocal songs in order to find/write out notes and chords in songs (mp3, flac, wma). This helps me playing piano accompaniment (and may be sing) for these songs at later time.

As such the A-B repeat function is very important.

Currently I still have to use the old and trustworthy Sony minidisc player and the VLC program in my Windows laptopn to accomplish the above tasks.

Definitely this feature will attract many Android owners. It will give Poweramp a definite advantage over its competitors.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in the title. Please add this function. I haven't seen a single player which can do this. I think everyone would love this function and this would separate this player from all others.

It would be awesome to repeat specific parts of the song and listen to it over and over again. I personally need this function so I can easily memorise some important parts of my recorded lectures. (I am a student)

So what do you guys think?

I think it would be great to have the ability to mark/bookmark where you are in a certain mp3 so that you can go back there in the future. I listen to a bunch of podcasts and audiobooks, many have multiple mp3s. I want to mark where I am in one mp3 file and then go to another audiobook, listen to it, mark where I am, then go back to where I was in the previous audiobook. Anyone want this functionality as well? It'd be a huge help. (Also, it would have to remember to play all of the subsequent mp3s of that specific audiobook associated with the bookmark)

• 2 weeks later...

Scanning the feature requests, I found this request had been submitted more than once.

One among the replies seems to come from a Poweramp's staff.

It's understandable for Poweramp to give priority to more flashy and easier to implement features.

I like the Poweramp and use it mainly with my Android.

For this A-B feature, if desperate needed, I use the "VLC media player" on Windows XP or my Sony minidisc player.

In not too distant future, I hope some Poweramp's designers find the solution and are allowed to implement it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This feature was requested 7 years ago and we still don't have it... I WANT IT TOO

Also it would be nice if there'd be an option for A-B repeat via Loop Tags in the song file tags. This would be great for looping game music.

This way I could loop my Final Fantasy 14 songs via the tags provided by the game itself.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/25/2013 at 3:44 AM, hgn said:

I Want It Too!

People who want this feature, instead of just reading this request, you should post a reply at least with a few word "I WANT IT TOO".

With your response/reply/comment/feadback, Poweramp may be aware of your need.

I WANT IT TOO

Please add A-B Repeat

• 5 months later...

Hello maxmp and others, it's a bit scary to think that I requested this feature 9 years ago. Scary in how time rapidly can fly.

I still really would love this feature to be implemented.

I HATE having to resort to using jetAudio+ just to use A-B Repeat function when Poweramp is obviously the superior app.

Looking at the UX (user interface) of Poweramp v3 which I use, I can suggest that it could be implemented by tap+hold of the file length time which would then enable prompt to set an A marker and a B marker for the loop. See screenshots below:

powe1111.thumb.jpg.e6a07e9ec620f2dbde68e311ee2341e6.jpg

Importantly there should also be Playlist support for adding your A-B loops to either a separate A-B playlist of any general user created playlist as long as the file and file path remains in tact.

Please maxmp listen to us and please don't ignore or dismiss this request as non-essential. I really need it for my musical pleasure on long length music - typically offline Radio mixes in the form of an mp3.

Please!

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, haddy said:

Hello maxmp and others, it's a bit scary to think that I requested this feature 9 years ago. Scary in how time rapidly can fly.

I still really would love this feature to be implemented.

I HATE having to resort to using jetAudio+ just to use A-B Repeat function when Poweramp is obviously the superior app.

Looking at the UX (user interface) of Poweramp v3 which I use, I can suggest that it could be implemented by tap+hold of the file length time which would then enable prompt to set an A marker and a B marker for the loop. See screenshots below:

powe1111.thumb.jpg.e6a07e9ec620f2dbde68e311ee2341e6.jpg

Importantly there should also be Playlist support for adding your A-B loops to either a separate A-B playlist of any general user created playlist as long as the file and file path remains in tact.

Please maxmp listen to us and please don't ignore or dismiss this request as non-essential. I really need it for my musical pleasure on long length music - typically offline Radio mixes in the form of an mp3.

Please!

This feature is a necessity for learning languages.

• 3 weeks later...

I listen to long 2 hour Radio mixes (legally free to download).

Rather than chopping up the 300mb mp3 file into small pieces on a desktop computer, I'd rather just set a point A and point B during PA use and enjoy listening to that segment repeatedly.

This helps with my long night shifts!

I don't want to switch to inferior music apps just to achieve this while keeping Poweramp paused in the background.

Lastly I'd like to save each of my A-B to  Playlists so that I can launch straight into back into it at any time. Think of it as a shortcut file with a time reference.

I also enjoy the existing Tempo changing and Cross-fading in PA so would use all of it in combination.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm is there any comment from the developer on this?

Perhaps it could fit into to the existing Repeat options when long-pressing on 'repeat'. Then upon being selected from the list of repeat modes it would simply display an overlay on top of the main seek bar to be able to set point A and point B (along with the ability to add your AB as a playlist)

Kind please 😊

Any comment from Max?

Still no updates from the dev? I really need this feature too for listening and memorizing a recitation where I have to repeat a specific part of it. There are already apps that are made/designed to help people memorize recitations but those apps don't have reverb feature(which make the reciters sound better) and can't produce good sound quality like Poweramp. Please implement it...

Sorry for the bad writing and English..

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for the dev I'm afraid, but to my mind it seems a relatively simple thing to implement technically (not sure about how to do it without cluttering the interface though). Perhaps it might be something @maxmp has in mind for his proposed user-defininable buttons in the player screen (such as changing the function of Visualisation, Timer, etc)? Although it would seem to be a more logical fit for the Repeat button.

Andre

On 5/25/2013 at 12:25 PM, andrewilley said:

I've often wondered what people use A-B Repeat for in the real world, but a lot of people do seem to want it. I've had it on CD players, etc since they were invented in the 80s, but not once in my life have I actually used it! I just can't see why I'd want to repeat-play a short portion of a track in casual everyday use. Sure for editing purposes, but not on a regular player.

Max: if you were to implement this, it might fit in well with the revised playback options that we were discussing a year ago? Just add an extra seventh option, thus:

Play One Song
Play Current List

Play All Lists

Repeat Current Song
Repeat Current List
Repeat All Lists
Repeat A-B

If the user selects the Repeat A-B option, that would define the current playback position as the 'in' point, and the option wording would change to Repeat A-B (set endpoint). When the endpoint has similarly been selected, the track would repeat continuosly between A and B until the user selects a different option. Long-press on Pause button (i.e. Stop) could revert to the previously selected playback mode.

Thoughts?

Andre

Yes Andre, this is actually precisely how it should work by just adding another Repeat mode function (long-press the Repeat button). What you state is the same as how Neutron Music Player does it.

I now think that Poweramp should do it in the same way as Neutron does it, by simply using the existing Repeat mode options triggered by the long-press gesture. The waveform seekbar would then slightly alter in colour during the A-B session.

Below are screenshots taken of Neutron's A-B feature from a Samsung Tablet.

594259007_NMPA-Brepeat.thumb.jpg.f27bf182364c22e399f221d9eefcd0d6.jpg

Below are some mock-up screenshots of how Poweramp can implement it and also implement a menu option to be able to add A-B to a Playlist.

(OMG Imagine an A-B function in Poweramp integrating perfectly with my existing Tempo and Cross-fade options, especially Cross-fading) :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

long-press the Repeat button to bring up the options menu for the list of different Repeat modes

1580739694_A-Brepeat1--proposedforPA.thumb.jpg.f5432016e23475f33aa38a55d91e05f1.jpg

long-pressing the Repeat function in Poweramp to trigger the mode (the seekbar waveform would colour to indiccate that it's in session)

1584471196_long-pressinpowerampforA-B.thumb.jpg.7180eeff5574940fb0a907926be4d4af.jpg

ability to add A-B to playlist

1482397418_A-Brepeat2--proposedforPA.thumb.jpg.573e6df32ac5b7710c074b4ae6fc6d33.jpg

Neutron, although arguably on the same advancement level as Poweramp still has an inferior UI to Poweramp, IMO.

Much like the Pitch feature it definitely has it's use case scenarios with a variety of music, podcasts and live audio speech analysis.

---------------------------------

What is the A-B Repeat function - Sony TH

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/articles/S500019685

Goodness, talk about bumping an old thread - over seven years old in fact! :)

I still hanker wistfully for my original simplified Repeat terminology suggestion though, which dated back at least another year before the post you quoted. The 'Advance Category' wording never seemed to me to be the most understandable phrase for new users, when all it really means is to continue to play all categories, thus:

Play One Song | Play Current Category | Play All Categories | Repeat One Song | Repeat Current Category | Repeat All Categories

Adding a Repeat A-B would fit in rather well there too - but you first need to convince Max of the worthiness and usage cases of such a feature. Maybe he might have something already in mind for his previously-mentioned configurable icons system (currently fixed as Viz, Sleep, etc) in the Player screen?

Andre 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andre for elaborating on the Repeat terminology.

I too am not keen on the 'advance category' wording and what you've stated seems more comprehensive, uniformed.

For me to elaborate on the Playlist suggestion for A-B can I state the following:

1.) It should use automatic naming sequences when adding A-B song to playlist, for example = AB01, AB02, AB03 etc which the user could rename later if they choose to. The prefix naming of AB01, AB02, AB03 etc would then get displayed on the player interface and library lists itself as a naming prefix on the song title and album title. This then clearly indicate that it is an A-B track within a playlist. This is similar to what already exists when creating a new playlists in Poweramp using the "add to playlist", user is presented with default editable names of Playlist 1, Playlist 2 etc.

2.) A darkened transparent overlay could display over the album art with the large text saying "A-B track" to signify that it is a user-added A-B repeated song. The waveform seek bar would look a little different in colour and style too.

3.) During playback of playlist A-B, then the only function that would be grayed out would be the Repeat A-B since the song playing is already a user created A-B, this to avoid confusion. So in this case the user would have to go back to the original full song file if they wanted to add more A-B to a playlist.

-------------

I hope that clears all that up 😉