Album List - Sort by Album Artist

bdmarvel

Personally, I don't really use tags much at all, apart from Title and cover art. I organise my music by folders and files, so I control how it works rather than the system trying to do it for me.

But then that's pretty-much why I went down the Android path rather than iPhone in the first place.

However none of the above is a reason not to support Album Artist for those who need it, as you say it's another very long overdue feature.

Andre

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I want to understand things here?

currently I have to go to the tiny folder icon -> artist -> and pick album -> pic song. Now in the player I can advance to next album ( not really album of the artist, just next in list ) or advance to next song. Personally I’d like a way to see all albums under this artist or at least go to next album of this artist only. Is this what you guys are after?

If so, yes that'd be great.

Registered just to support this. Just made the switch from PlayerPro and am much happier, but this is definitely long overdue.

And not quite the same feature, uloa. This is for sorting the 'artist' library by the album's artist instead of the just the artist tag.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this should just be called "the iphon features".

This explaines it well

Personally, I don't really use tags much at all, apart from Title and cover art. I organise my music by folders and files, so I control how it works rather than the system trying to do it for me.

Most i-people will not do this as i-products do a lot with tagging but the file/folder method works great if you are a non i-person.

One more vote. Many albums especially in Jazz use one name in the Album Artist metadata field and different names in the Artist field for different tracks. Without the ability to browse by Album Artist it's impossible browse albums of artists in Album Artist.

• 6 months later...

October 2014 and still no solution to this? Or am I missing something?

Come on! Why GoneMAD player can do it while Poweramp can't?

Well, I actually remember the times when maxmp used to reply more than once in a month. I guess those times are gone now. But well, I do have the hope of seeing him saying something to this.

I agree Poco. This basically breaks compilation albums completely. The artists need to show up in the artist list as "Album Artist" and albums need to be able to be sorted by Album artist too. I cannot believe that this has not been implemented, it seems such a basic thing. Maybe its really hard to do?

• 2 months later...

another +1.

To be honest its the ONLY missing feature from Poweramp. As it currently stands i have to re-tag all my compilations to show "Various" in the artist field, and append the actual artist name to the track title. Its a pain in the backside and something i hope can be fixed! - LONG overdue by the looks of this thread! 

Can someone make a statement if this will ever be implemented?

This feature is so essential for me, that i would Buy the GoneMAD Music Player instead of Poweramp, even i like Poweramp more, but without this feature Poweramp is useless.

Just with 4 Sampler Albums the whole Artist bar becomes useless, as i have over 200 Artist to Scroll through.

All i want is a Music Player that recognises the Album Artist Tag, where i can put "Various Artists", so 40 Different Artist from an Artist won't show in the Artist bar.

Just checked: GoneMad does the same thing, but havent checked the settings yet.

To my Surprise the Google Music Player recognises the Album Artist Tag, and Shows all Artist from a Sampler under various Artist.

OK, I may be slightly old school, but I prefer to manage my library by listing albums sorted by album artist.  I've tried numerous android apps, but Poweramp is the only one that comes close.  Unfortunately only being able to sort Albums by Artist and NOT Album Artist presents some issues...

I've currently got 277 albums on my SD card and generally never had a problem until recently.  I've got 4 separate albums by different artists called 'Greatest Hits'.   Other apps such as DoubleTwist are able to recognise they are different albums, yet Poweramp has merged them together.  Imagine my surprise when I thought I was listening to The Red Hot Chilli Peppers 'Greatest Hits' album only to find it was mixed with tracks by Bruce Sprinsteen, Sly and the Family Stone and Fleetwood Mac.

Whilst many here regard this as a Feature Request, you could easily assume this to be a bug - especially as other apps can differentiate between the separate albums.  I've checked the metadata tags for 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' and they are correct.  I could get round this problem by renaming the albums to reflect the Artist name in the title, but I shouldn't need to do this - it should be the app that is updated.

It's disappointing that Poweramp does not have option in place given that most users will have this metadata in place from using desktop based libraries.  I manage my library using iTunes and tranfer it to my Samsung using DoubleTwist.  I prefer Poweramp as a player though.

Processing Album Artist fields is a regular request here, which has been raised with the developer for inclusion in a future version of Poweramp.

In the meantime, as you say, the easiest fix is to just edit the MP3 files to use the full proper album titles - e.g. "Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits" and "Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits". You can do this file by file in Poweramp, but I'd suggest a batch tag editor (I use TagScanner on my PC) would be easier and would do the job in seconds. iTunes may even be able to do it, but I can't really comment on that as I don't allow it on any of my computers.

Andre

The easiest solution so far at least for me is to simply don't use the library at all. I browse only in FOLDERS view....

So I have:

\_Various_Artists\Album 1\songs...

\_Various_Artists\Album 2\songs...

\Artist 1\Album 1\songs...

\Artist 1\Album 2\songs...

\Artist 2\Album\songs...
\Artist 3\Album\songs...

\Artist 4\Album\songs...

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for this feature

The easiest solution so far at least for me is to simply don't use the library at all. I browse only in FOLDERS view....

The problem I have with this is that I frequently use the new feature 'All Artist Songs" which can't work in folders view.

Archived