OPUS codec

inagy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

nearly 10k views and 2 years later, still no opus support?

now this have to be a record

if the excellent opus codec is gonna get any traction, developers really need a hard butt kick

a opus file with a bitrate of 64k is better than a mp3 file at 192kbps, its closer to aac at 128kbps

you can think of opus as next generation vorbis

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just installed Poweramp about 2 weeks ago and it's now nagging me to buy it, which I had every intention of doing since it's a great player. My very near future intention is to change my mobile library from OGG Vorbis to Opus. All my music is stored on a FreeBSD ZFS array in FLAC format so format shifting is just a simple transcode away. Before plunking down my hard earned money for this player I decided to make sure my purchase would be at least a little future proof in supporting the highest quality, free, IETF standard codec currently available. Instead of finding a wonderful check mark on a critical feature for this kind of application I have found a 2.5 year old thread with promises, nearly that old, of support to be added "soon".

Needless to say my purchase is now indefinitely on hold. If/when Opus support is implemented I'll revisit Poweramp unless I've already spent my money on another app which cared enough to implement support for the best free standardized lossy codec there is in a timely manner.

As far as I know, it is intended to be part of the upcoming major v3 update (which includes a complete rebuilt of the whole audio engine) but that update has been delayed for a while now. Keep watching here for news.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for, but Poweramp is a one-man project rather than being run by a large company, so unfortunately we all have to accept that things can take a little while around here.

Andre

• 3 months later...

Opus is successfully added to current Poweramp dev builds, including opus in .opus and .ogg files, full gapless and replay gain support.

Thanks!

Ridiculous...almost two and a half years ago.

Welp, I'm buying GoneMad for a dollar with my Google Opinion Rewards. I'll probably come back when 3.0 is released, I just want to move my phone's library to Opus.

Also, please support downmixing multichannel tracks, GoneMad does. Right now Poweramp just glitches when I try to play an 88.2KHz 24bit 6 channel FLAC file. No audio, the seekbar shows it playing much faster than real time, and it can't be paused in app nor paused or stopped from the notification.

For fun, a comparison of 5.1 uncompressed 16.5MB to 5.1 Opus 512Kbps 1.7MB https://googledrive.com/host/0Bw-IN9ioFaCcQTNILTZFOUNvQm8/5.1-Unc-vs-Opus.html

Works in Chrome, doesn't in IE or Firefox yet.

Edit: I had 20.4GBs of music that I wanted on my phone, I converted it to Opus and now it's 3.91GBs. Lossless surround music converted to 512Kbps, lossless stereo to 320Kbps, and lossy to 128Kbps.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally gave up and just bought Gonemad. While I would have preferred to support Poweramp, the lack of Opus support this long after it was ratified as a standard is unacceptable. This many years worth of empty promises just doesn't inspire me to invest in a product. Gonemad so far has been rock solid, and it supports everything I've thrown at it without issue. I've transcoded my library to Opus at 96kbps. OGG Vorbis was already quite fine at 96kbps but with the improvement in quality Opus provides it has glossed over virtually all the few rough spots Vorbis had at that bitrate.

• 3 months later...

It seems best at this point to move onto a different music player that does support it, I know I have. Poweramp is only my backup player now. The rewrite has been pending for YEARS now, and it's supposed to be in two different phases. It will be a very pleasant surprise if it shows up, but hoping that it does at this point doesn't seem worth it.

• 1 month later...

Archived