OPUS codec

inagy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please add this opensource codec decoding support !

All of the few players that can play this have awfull sound.

The source code is free available, there's no restriction to build the decoding library, or use the common ffmpeg library.

• 3 weeks later...

When such updates will be ready, I'm hoping in once-per-month update rate. The next one will include updated decoders, opus-support, various tag/format related enhancements.

Thanks!

It seems like it's finally coming soon, although it's seemed like that for over half a year now, so who knows what will happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read somewhere (maybe on HydrogenAudio) that Rockbox now has an ARM optimized decoder for Opus. Maybe you can incorporate that into Poweramp.

By the way check out the new 1.1-beta demo page: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/opus/demo3.shtml This release improves a lot on tonal samples. I'm using 96kbps files encoded by this version on my ultrabook for daily listening and i'm very satisfied with the results.

Any update by the way? A year has passed by and nothing new on this topic :(

• 2 weeks later...

Opus is successfully added to current Poweramp dev builds, including opus in .opus and .ogg files, full gapless and replay gain support.

Thanks!

Seems that the dev build is not working :D

I've got the pro version and i would like to see opus in the next changelog, cause it is the best lossy codec at the time.

I wish support for the OPUS audio.

This is the best audio codec so far.

OPUS 64 kbs is similar like MP3 192 kbs.

OPUS 62 kbs

800px-FSsongmetal2-Opus-exp7.20120823-62

MP3 160 kbs

800px-FSsongmetal2-MP3-LAME3.99.5-158kbp

MP3 160 kbs is still worse than OPUS 64.kbs.

I think MP3 192 kbs or even  256 will be the same quality like OPUS. 

OPUS 128 kbs has quality like MP3 320 kbs.

I tested on my headphones  BOSE QT 15 and sound on  OPUS 64 kbs is excellent. 

PLEASE support the OPUS audio .

Hi Guys, little off topic but what  program do you use to convert your .flac (and other stuff) to OPUS? Trying to convert my library to OPUS just in case OPUS support comes to Poweramp. The good quality on let's say 62 kbs makes it attractive for small SD cards (Like the 32gig HTC One:( )

EDIT: Used Foobar2000, can't wait for the OPUS support for this wonderful media player!

Hi Guys, little off topic but what  program do you use to convert your .flac (and other stuff) to OPUS? Trying to convert my library to OPUS just in case OPUS support comes to Poweramp. The good quality on let's say 62 kbs makes it attractive for small SD cards (Like the 32gig HTC One:( )

EDIT: Used Foobar2000, can't wait for the OPUS support for this wonderful media player!

you could use taudio converter too

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Opus v1.1 was just released. They also have optimized decoders for ARM and NEON (and x86), so it should be minimally easy to add now.

Poweramp is the best, but it's starting to fall behind. GoneMAD and Neutron already support Opus.

Since I saw some other recent posts by Max saying that there is a new audio enginge coming out, I'm going to guess this will probably be part of that update. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Have anyone tried viper4android app with combination of Poweramp ?

No words to say except awesome.... 

Why Poweramp staff or developers ignoring about this item, when I reminded them about it.

If anyone has tried, tell the importance of it to others..

You feel the power of Audio with viper4android app plug-in, that even will not be gotten by Sony

• 1 month later...

Still nothing :(

I would love to stay with Poweramp but i've waited just too much for Opus decoding to happen. :( Common i've asked this almost two years ago.

I've started looking after other players which are capable of playing Opus. GoneMad looks good but sometimes it laggs unacceptably. Reconfiguring the buffer sizes doesn't help. Also it screws up my A2DP car headunit, handling of calls gets unpredictable.

VLC does play Opus but it's UI is a joke, as well as the amount of settings available. Also it's designed mainly for playing video.

Does anyone knows about other players capable of playing Opus? I've just came across FreeAmp this morning which is based on the Android BASS media library however it doesn't contain the Opus decoder module. Also it's very basic, however it's open source and i'm thinking about taking part in the development and improving it.

Sadly, Opus support seems tied up in the audio engine rewrite (and maybe the UI overhaul) which we keep hearing about. Hopefully maxmp can give us a status update (like how many work items left type deal). Seems like it's been in process a long time.

Max, have you thought of setting up a g+ community along with beta releases? Might let people see more what you're doing and help test it out sooner.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a sidenote the developer of FreeAmp solved my Opus decoding need in an hour  :lol: https://bitbucket.org/recoilme/freeamp/issue/27/opus-decoder

I'm still waiting for Poweramp to support Opus since it's UI is still way ahead in user-friendliness than anything else on Play Shop.

Thanks for the information inagy.

Opus support is a dealbreaker for me, and I am amazed that Poweramp does not have support for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived