OPUS codec

inagy

OPUS is a new codec from the Xiph guys who are behind the Vorbis and Theora projects. http://www.opus-codec.org/

OPUS is a low delay royalty-free open source lossy audio codec which was initially developed for telecommunication purposes but as it turned out it's very good for archiving and streaming purposes aswell. It can be used to encode music, speech and mixed content. It's actually two codecs integrated into one: CELT (the pilot codec behind OPUS) and SILK (originally used by Skype for speech encoding). It can target bitrates from 6kbps to 510kbps and has VBR and CBR modes.

Tests shows that Opus easily outperforms HE-AAC at 64kbps (http://people.xiph.o...eg/opus/ha2011/) and scales very well with bitrate. It also has a very good error correction mechanism for streaming.

The codec just became an IETF standard and the latest Foobar beta now includes a decoder built in. There's an exp branch which focuses on optimizing the quality (similar to aoTuV by Vorbis).

I think it would be a very cool addition to Poweramp to support this codec. It is embedded system friendly; as i know there's already an integer only decoder available in the source package.

What do you think? HydrogenAudio guys are very excited about the codec :)http://www.hydrogena...showtopic=86580

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also love Opus support. Speaking as one of those "Hydrogenaudio guys", yes, this codec is very exciting. I'd like to help test, and one of the best ways to help test is to find places where Opus fails. One of the best ways for me to do that is to encode a bunch of music as Opus and then listen to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also vote for Opus support!

Opus will be optimal music format for me on Android phone. I have audio player with 60 GB HDD and ogg music coded @ ~160kbps, but want switch to android with Poweramp as primary music player. And for the phone with 32 GB SD card which common for all phone apps small bitrate is prefered. But at small bitrate Opus is a format with the best sound quality (according to hydrogenaudio tests).

So I also request to add Opus support to Poweramp.

Thank you very much for your support.

Since very early beta I'm doing test why CELT and now OPUS codec and I think it is a very promising codec since it approaches HE AAC V2 quality on some sample at 56 Kbps and the quality exceeds all other lossy codecs at 128 Kbps.

I have converted all my lossless library in HE AAC V2 at 56 Kbps (fraunhofer codec) and it take less than 14 GB space on my android system. It is surprisingly small but the quality is just enough to beam sound on car speakers or bluetooth portable system (like my bose sound link), but not enough to listen with headphones.

Hope to test OPUS coded files with my embedded android system and my Sennheiser HD650.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great! Please make sure to add a preamp option specific to Opus though, since its replaygain implementation use a reference level of 84 dB, 5 dB lower than normal Replaygain. It would be nice to be able to match volumes between Opus and other codecs.

Edit: on second thought, it might be simpler to systematically adjust Opus reference level (84 dB) to Replaygain reference level (89 dB). If users prefer the 84 dB reference level, they can always use the preamp.

Opus is successfully added to current Poweramp dev builds

Great work. But I have not found a download link for the dev build. Can you tell me when this feature is released with an official update or give me a hint where to donwload the dev build ?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived