Google Music Support

I've been using Poweramp for 2 years. It's the very first app I bought and been very happy since. Right now I stopped using it because I have all my music (6000 songs) on Google Music.

The fact is google music app for android sucks and is nowhere near Poweramp, not only for the eq which is awesome but a lot of other things. So I really hope there will be an integration with it in the near future

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been using Poweramp for about a couple years now and am new to the forum. I too am really looking forward to Google Music integration. I will continue to use Poweramp, as it is just amazing. For now, I'll download via Music Manager and copy to my Nexus 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Google allow another app to access Google music the way users here are asking? There are many features Google may want to keep limited to their app. Such as the new subscription service. It may leave some volunerabiliy open for hacking. Don't know.

I have found that if you use Google play to listen to your music, if you go into power amp and hit the rescan button, it will load the music you have previously listened to. You will have to rename the tracks as it will only list them by numbers. This is the one way i found to intergrade tracks from Google play. Its a pain but works.

So yes it is caching the music and the one thing that sucks is that you have to play the song thru google play and the rescan you folders thru Poweramp for it to work. i like using Poweramp when im playing drums because i can adjust the sound level and quality to best fit my needs. I will be so stoked when they get it going!!!!

• 5 months later...

Please Max, would you let us know about the realistic ability of Poweramp recognizing (the way it does other formats) Google Play music in the future? Is this truly realistic, or just "wishful thinking"? Due to the time that has lapsed since people started inquiring about it, it has the appearance as though you're just like the rest of us and are just "hoping" it will come about. If Google just keeps on refusing to you the rights (or whatever) for you to do so and they won't budge in their stance, just be upfront about it and let us all know. It would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Unless GOOGLE releases an official API, Poweramp cannot integrate with Google Music properly. Poweramp streaming the music is off the table without the API. Poweramp can only access the cached music on the device, which is not tagged I believe, so you're left with untagged sogs. The only workaround is using GMusicFS, which requires root.

ramenchef,

Thanks for that explanation. I had never quite understood how the process works. It appears that Google Music (GM) isn't in any rush to release the API. I haven't looked around yet, but are there any other players that have had an API released by GM for their app?

My guesstimate is we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for GM to release an API for PA. This is certainly not a knock on PA because PA is a very good app for what it does do, but unfortunately it just doesn't have the ability to play GM nor does it appear it will any time soon. Again, not a knock on PA, it just is what it is...

• 5 months later...

Similar to the requests for spotify support, I really don't see this as a useful feature. If you're keeping your music in the cloud then that is your priority - not control of your music in terms of location/format/quality/eq. You've locked yourself into a system but want the best of both worlds.

Get your music downloaded so you've got your files and control of them. Buy mp3s from Amazon as (even though they are a cloud system) when you click download in the app mp3 files come rather than a cached/encripted mess.

If you use a cloud system you gain space & subscription music but the price is control. Control is important to me-that's why I use Poweramp

Same here, all of my music files are stored locally, in the folder structure I defined for them.

I just don't trust cloud-based systems enough as yet. Sure they are getting there, but mobile connectivity is just not good enough yet - especially on the move (for example, have you tried listening to your cloud-based music when you are actually in the clouds on an aircraft without internet?).

That's not to say it wouldn't be a nice feature of course, just not one I would personally use.

Andre

• 5 years later...

Archived