Support for "Album artist" filed.

kamil_w

ID3v2 has had several useful tags (album arist, year, composer, ...) for some times now.

I find them very powerful to organize my musical collection, except on Android I could not find the "perfect" player, every one is missing something. So far the best for me is Poweramp, if it did support a few more tags it would be so close to perfect...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just registered to bump this. I understand you want to update the app to 3.0 as directly as possible, but it's been almost a year since you replied to this post saying Album Artist view is coming. Couldn't you just implement it? Shouldn't be too messy. This is really the only thing that makes me cringe in Poweramp.

I'm here, for the same reason as epeTm.. just registered to ask for this feature!

This is the # 1 feature to be included!

Please, please, please!

I've loved this player from before it went to the Marked, when it was found and testet from XDA Developers page.. Best player, hands down!

Just please make it totally super perfect! ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh god yes, can you please add this. Will make it so much easier for navigation to artists and will allow a properly tagged library rather than having to tagg an entire compilation as just the album name or something. Its a bloody pain that this isn't already an option! Its part of the ID3v2 standard so why can't we pick it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just signed up for this haha. I just recently bougt a new SD Card so I'd have more Space on my Phone, and now I also noticed the problem with the compilations.. Would be awesome if you could implement this feature since you announced it more than a year ago, I don't know that much about techniques but I can't imagine that it's that big of a deal. Anyways Poweramp is the player no. 1 but would become much more awesome with that so please make it happen! =)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Please add 'Albumartist' (not to be confused with the existing 'album by artist' to the list! And if the Albumartist tag is empty in an track it should take the 'Artist' tag by default. This way classical music will be sorted under their composer (where the artist tag is usually the preforming orchestra) and the popmusic without albumartist tags will be sorted under their regular artist tag. 

For instance:

Albumartist                        Artist                             Album

Mahler                              NY Philharmonic            Complete Symphonies

Mahler                              London Orchestra         Complete Symphonies

*Empty* [read artist tag]   Pharrel Williams             Happy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Max, Poweramp version 3 is meant to be out "this summer".

However as far as I know, this is a complete audio engine overhaul, but with the same basic UI as we've got at present, so I can't say how many of the many requested (and requested, and requested...) features will be included in that first release. I'm not sure if improved tag handling counts as audio-engine or user-interface.

Max, could you update the eagerly awaiting masses out here who are mostly quite happy with the overall sound quality of Poweramp, but really want new operating features? Thanks.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

New user here. Came from Apple iPhone 4, 4S, iPad 4 then also iPhone 5. Because of Apple and iTunes (which introduced me to AAC and the "album artist" tag) my collection is finally perfectly tagged. Now I have a Xperia Z2.

Because the stock Android as well as the Sony Walkman app weren't able to list by "album artist" I thought about buying a player app because an app I have to pay for must have this feature. I bought the best rated. Poweramp. I thought the best rated app I also have to pay for definitely must have this feature.

I was deeply disappointed!

Get the sourcecode of the currently released version, copy the "Album" list code, paste and rename it to "Album by Artist" (or if whitespaces are not supported "AlbumArtist" is acceptable too ... for now) and change the tag readout from "ARTIST" to "ALBUMARTIST". Save & Build and publish to the Play Store. Yes, it's that easy ... more or less.

Or if you don't want to implement this extremely simple feature go and fix the corresponding bug which is much more work (in Album list sorted by Artist Poweramp chooses a random song of a compilation and uses its Artist tag for sorting purposes). That bug completely sucks because sometimes the album is sorted below A (artist Axxxx), sometimes below F (artist Fxxxxx) and so on. Not even Windows Media Player does this crap!

Maybe you should do a poll and ask your users if they want an audio engine overhaul or faster/better feature request implementation. I definitely would chose the later because I really don't give .... about any "audio improvements" you may think you are able of.

At the same time of sending this posting I also send a feature request / bug report to Sony about their Sony Walkman app not being able to use the AlbumArtist tag. Let's see how's faster with this one!

Maybe you should do a poll and ask your users if they want an audio engine overhaul or faster/better feature request implementation. I definitely would chose the later because I really don't give .... about any "audio improvements" you may think you are able of.

In all honesty, I must confess that would be my own preference too. There are so many people out here who praise Poweramp's existing audio quality to the hilt (me included, I'm already very happy with that side of things) but bemoan the fact that new UI and general functionality features are getting left way, way behind as nothing really significant has been added for a couple of years (although there have been a few nice tweaks and little items added). There are a lot of features that get requested again and again and again (better tag handling, editing/saving tag ratings and album art, bookmarking, etc) that I'd far prefer to see implemented before a new audio engine.

However I'm a forum mod rather than in the development side of things, so I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I use Poweramp because of the great UI. I can't speak for the rest of the user base but I never use EQ and I don't know anyone who does.

Pretty much everyone has a few compilation or mix albums though. Right now I'm stuck doing one of two things:

* tag tracks with the track artist and not be able to search by DJ (album artist)

* tag every track with the album artist and not have artist names for individual tracks.

Both options are disappointing, especially in an app that's so polished elsewhere (great on-the-go queuing, fantastic list system that lets you shuffle by artists or albums while keeping songs in order, etc).

Please include this in the next release! I know it's not necessarily as simple as an3k is making it out to be, but I think many people would appreciate it if you made it a priority (take a look at how many replies the thread has).

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to spoil the party here, but I have the same issue, and after a while of research, here is what I have come up with:

I have downloaded the trial version of Poweramp to try out its features, and so far I am very pleased. I have the one or other minor Issue with the UI Structure, but other than that, everything is near perfect. What immediately struck me is that many other music players on other platforms do support the Album Artist filter (e.g. iTunes, Foobar, etc...). Android on the other hand seems to lack this feature entirely. This is not only a problem that Poweramp has, other music players suffer from lack of this feature, too. I have installed Cyanogenmod's Appollo as well as PlayerPro Music Player on my Device, and both failed to sort by Album Artist correctly.

Why? Here is my Theory:

Poweramp, as well as PlayPro and Appollo, as far as I know, make use of the Android MediaStore to query all the songs. Looking at the MediaStore Documentation (MediaStore.Audio) it turns out, there is no way to query Album Artists, only Albums, Artists, Genres and Playlists. So it seems, that this is not in fact a problem that lies within reach of the Poweramp developers, but is Android's (Google's) responsibility. It is not in fact as easy as pulling the source code and changing up a few parameters.

BUT!:

Out of curiosity I installed Google's own music player (Google Play Music) and to my big surprise: It sorts by Album artist just fine! I have no Idea why, and I am still convinced that the problem is not poweramps, but somehow Google made it work.

But fact stays:

tl;dr:

As of now, Android simply does not support queries by Album Artist! Still want the feature, though.

Happy to get into this forum and to read the buzz about it. This is my first post and I've been using Android for two weeks and I'm loving it. Poweramp was the only player on this platform that caught up my atention. Yes, Google Play Music supports album artist grouping but seems that it lacks gapless playback in certain devices, a feature that puts Poweramp at the top of all players for Android. For a better experience, I think album artist should be the default artist grouping scheme and on the settings people can disable the option "group by album artist" if they wish to see all the track's artists in library. Anyway, +1 for the album artist support.

Congratulations Max for the incredible work to the Android user comunity. Glad to hear my albums on Android the way the artists intended them to be!

Peace,

Edu.

Archived