Poweramp TODO list/features in progress

maxmp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to inquire about the coming version of Poweramp. I am curious about the new engine and how it performs in respect to efficiency. As I understand, with the release of KitKat Android provides the means to properly utilize the DSP, offloading the signal processing from the CPU and thus saving precious CPU cycles and improving battery life. Do we benefit from this with the new engine? Most flagships have this properly implemented, which is why you might want to make it an option to just use what the device provides.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Two suggestions:

1.) Suggested by me in another thread: Pinch to zoom grid size in folder and album view. Current 2x2 grid would be furthest zoom in, smallest would be whatever is best given the DPI and resolution variance of Android devices. Text/detail/list view would be farthest zoom-out, but should require repeating the action, so when zooming out, there would be a "stop" on the smallest thumbnail size.

2.) Crossfade length should also be a text-editable setting, in addition to current slider. Stopping on the desired length is hard enough on a tablet, so must be really difficult on a smaller phone screen.

• 2 months later...

Would people find it useful if I created a new 'Requested Features' sticky post, with short bullet-point descriptions of common feature requests, and links to the threads that discuss them?

Andre

Yes.

Also, adding DLNA support so I can stream from my NAS at home would make this the perfect music player app IMO. Hope this happens ... soon? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ratings tags... PLEASE! I've seen posts from 2011 begging for ratings support that would allow ratings to be edited in the metadata to be synchronized between desktop and phone.

Isn't this low hanging fruit? A (relatively) easy fix with great reward for (obviously) many?

Ratings tags... PLEASE! I've seen posts from 2011 begging for ratings support that would allow ratings to be edited in the metadata to be synchronized between desktop and phone.

Isn't this low hanging fruit? A (relatively) easy fix with great reward for (obviously) many?

I thought this already was implemented? Perhaps it depends on what file type you're using?

No, still not implemented for any file types I'm afraid, ratings are stored in a database not in the individual song files.

Andre

Huh, cause I have a faint memory of accidentally setting a rating on my PC on a song that showed up in Poweramp after I copied the file to my device.. I might be mistaken though, or perhaps it just reads rating tags but doesn't write to them?

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, cause I have a faint memory of accidentally setting a rating on my PC on a song that showed up in Poweramp after I copied the file to my device.. I might be mistaken though, or perhaps it just reads rating tags but doesn't write to them?

I have rating tags in all my sonngs (I use mainly MP3 and Ogg Vorbis) and I've never seen a file with rating displayed in Poweramp.

It is not as easy to implement as many think, but for an experienced programmer it shouldn't take more a day. I implemented it for MP3, MP4 and Ogg in a couple of days and I'm really not an experienced programmer. The ID3 article on Wikipedia is a very good source and Celemntine music player sources were also a great inspiration for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Signed up to suggest a feature that would let us bookmark specific folders so they come out on top of the list everytime i switch over to folders. Also is there any way to change the tags  for multiple songs or are we stuck with only one at a time? 

Batch tag editing is best done in a specific tag editor program - I use TagScanner on my PC, but there are plenty around.

To force folders to the top of the list, use a higher level folder which is named so it sorts to the top. For example inside my top music folder I have folders called "10 Podcasts", "20 Films", "30 TV", "50 Songs", and all my other album/etc folders are contained within those (no actual files are stored directly in those folders though, only in subfolders, otherwise you see those numbered folder names in the list, and they are only there for sorting purposes). I use "Sort by Path" and "View As List" at the folder List Options level. Then in my folder list in Poweramp I see all the podcasts at the start of the list, then film and TV soundtrack albums, then regular music albums. You could just use "Favourites" and "Other" if you wish, or make the ordering more detailed if you prefer.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Other default sort options in folders mode. Currently uses Track number / Track title (don't know where Artist fits in, Album title doesn't matter). An alternative I would like to have available is Album title / track number.

For example, suppose I load 26 files in a folder, 13 of them have album title "The Wall (disc 1)" and are numbered 1 to 13, and the rest have album title "The Wall (disc 2)" numbered 1-13. Currently the default order is to play both track 1s first, in alphabetical order by title, then both track 2s alphabetically by title, and so forth. The suggested alternative would have them default to playing "The Wall (disc 1)" from 1 to 13, followed by "The Wall (disc 2)", 1 to 13.

There are workarounds. My current preferred workaround is to tag-edit disc 2 to make the track numbers 14-26 (in this example). That's not much work for a 2 disc set but could be prohibitive for a 19-disc audiobook. I tried adding an .m3u playlist file to the folder to see if it would use it (no, it didn't in folders mode, though of course you can if you switch to playlist mode).

2 hours ago, mwalimu said:

Other default sort options in folders mode.

When you are viewing folders (or Albums, Artists, etc) press the Menu button and select 'List Options', which lets you choose the sort order and display nesting style you require. There is a separate set of List Options to allow you to customise every category view, and another for the songs inside those categories. e.g. you could set the Folder level for sorting by Path and Directory name, but the songs inside could be sorted by Track Number. 

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

When you are viewing folders (or Albums, Artists, etc) press the Menu button and select 'List Options', which lets you choose the sort order and display nesting style you require. There is a separate set of List Options to allow you to customise every category view, and another for the songs inside those categories. e.g. you could set the Folder level for sorting by Path and Directory name, but the songs inside could be sorted by Track Number. 

Andre

Ah, that particular option wasn't available when I tapped List Options from the list of folders, only when I opened a folder and then tapped it. Another case of a feature that's anything but obvious...

...which it turns out doesn't even work as I would have hoped. I tried loading the very album from my earlier example, viewed the folder after changing it to sort by album, and it does indeed have all of disc 1 before disc 2, but the tracks of each disc are sorted alphabetically by title. No way I could find to tell it to use track number as a secondary sort field.

As I said, when are viewing at the SONGS level, use Menu > List Options at that level to change the order to By Track #. Each level for each category can be adjusted individually.

Note: the Disc # tag is not currently supported, so to avoid two track #1 followed by two track #2 etc, name the different CDs in the set as different Album titles (e.g. Title them "ABBA Greatest Hits CD-1", "Abba Greatest Hits CD-2", etc).

Andre

I don't use the Disc# tag; it was incorporated into the album title similar to what you describe. Unless and until there's a way to specify both a primary and secondary tag for ordering, I don't see a way to make it work.

• 7 months later...

Archived