Seekbar is out of sync

Ok I'll go straight to the point. I'm facing this bug since V2 and it continues to pop-up on V3 beta.

This barely happens, but the seek bar goes out of sync with the actual playback time. It happens on mp3 files only. Even if you slide the bar, the player may start from the beginning while the seekbar doesn't reset and continues from the moment you chose to play.

Screenshot_Poweramp_20180511-124826.png

Some files don't seem to have header length information set correctly, which means that for songs with very large cover images, the seekbar counter can get offset. Try removing the cover art from a song which exhibits this problem and see if it then works correctly for you. (I use TagScanner on my PC, but there a lots of ways to edit/delete embedded tags)

Andre

On 5/11/2018 at 3:13 PM, andrewilley said:

Some files don't seem to have header length information set correctly, which means that for songs with very large cover images, the seekbar counter can get offset. Try removing the cover art from a song which exhibits this problem and see if it then works correctly for you. (I use TagScanner on my PC, but there a lots of ways to edit/delete embedded tags)

Andre

Thanks for your response.

My problem is PA-specific and I don't have such problem on any other media player in any other platform.

I guess I misunderstood your explanations. The large album art makes the seekbar miscalculate the track duration? (!)

I usually sync the metadata with MusicBrainz, therefore any probable corrupt tag must have been changed with the standard one.

6 hours ago, Mehrshad Shafaghi said:

I guess I misunderstood your explanations. The large album art makes the seekbar miscalculate the track duration? (!)

Correct, it can do. Did you try what I suggested and remove artwork from a song file and see if it still happens?

Andre

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Correct, it can do. Did you try what I suggested and remove artwork from a song file and see if it still happens?

Andre

Yep, the problem is solved.

But tbh, is solution is a bit awkward XD. Is this a thing with MPEG format or other formats have the same problem? I mean, should I encode my songs in AAC from now on or...?

It's because PA needs to know how much of the file contains non-music 'metadata' content (such as text, cover art, etc), which with ID3 tags is located at the start of the file, before the music. The header info is meant to contain an offset to say where the actual music part commences (so PA knows that the start-to-end of the scrollbar should only refer to that later portion of the file) but if that is missing, or VBR tags are wrong, then it has to guesstimate based on the total file size - and hence if 25% of the file is metadata, the calculated seek positions are wrong by the same offset.

I've seen this happen on a few files, but by no means all, so having cured the problem with a sample file perhaps it would be worth using a tag editor (I use TagScanner on my PC) to re-embed a new image (or even the same one if you saved it back to disk) into the file and see if that then works normally?

Andre

Archived