• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Beta-test Build 790 Now Released   04/29/2018

Poweramp v3 BETA TEST preview build 790, including brand new user interface, has now been released - 30 April 2018. This is not quite feature-complete yet, so only install if you are happy to test with a slightly reduced set of options.  Missing features should be completed during May. Please report any issues in the testing forum thread, and remember to backup your previous build before testing.  
andrewilley

Poll: Where should the Title/Artist/Album wording be displayed - overlaid over Cover Art or below it?

Where should the Title/Artist/Album wording be displayed?   265 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the Title/Artist/Album wording be displayed - overlaid over Cover Art or below it?

• It's great just the way it is, no need to change anything
    • It's fine where it is, but I'd prefer the boxes to use the current colour scheme and have rounded corners to match the overall theme
    • I would prefer a user-selectable option to allow the wording to be displayed underneath the cover art rather than obscuring it (for example, at the bottom of the scrolling navigation bar area)
    • I'd definitely like the option to display the wording below the cover art, but if the user does choose the overlaid boxes mode then they should match the overall theme & colour scheme - i.e. both (2) and (3) above
    • I really hate it, I want to see just the cover artwork without ever having it obscured by overlaid text

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 posts in this topic

A lot of people in the main discussion thread for build 790 have been saying that they don't like the way that Title/Artist/Album text is currently overlaid in solid black boxes obscuring the lower-left of the album artwork. This occurs in both the main Player Screen and also in Grid View library lists. I thought a poll might be interesting to crystallise those views, and gauge what the overall userbase really thinks - maybe the majority are happy just the way it is?

For clarity, we're talking about the black boxes containing the wording "Breakfast in America" and "The Very Best of Supertramp" in this sample image:

Screenshot_2018-05-08-09-28-49.png

This is not binding of course, but it'd be interesting to see the results.

Andre

Imo , cover art shouldnt have anything on it. Exception might be only random and shuffle transparent  buttons. However , i dont think anyone would watch cover art closely. But seeing it clear is just something i would prefer over other options.

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

A lot of people in the main discussion thread for build 790 have been saying that they don't like the way that Title/Artist/Album text is currently overlaid in solid black boxes obscuring the lower-left of the album artwork. This occurs in both the main Player Screen and also in Grid View library lists. I thought a poll might be interesting to crystallise those views, and gauge what the overall userbase really thinks - maybe the majority are happy just the way it is?

For clarity, we're talking about the black boxes containing the wording "Breakfast in America" and "The Very Best of Supertramp" in this sample image:

Screenshot_2018-05-08-09-28-49.png

This is not binding of course, but it'd be interesting to see the results.

Andre

For me they just need some rounding and matching to the current theme however since many people want nothing cluttering their album art .. hence ive selected the 4th option

Possible long press option on the album art brings up album info? The current rectangles look out of place with all the other rounded corners.

If it so happens that there's no option to move the text away from the cover when the final release comes I am going to cry. (not really)

I do see how this interface feels less cluttered. But covers just aren't made for this… Sometimes they aren't a square. Sometimes they have text in them. Sometimes they have the main elements of the picture right where the overlay is now! And I will notice every single time it fails, and then I'll cry. So please, please, please give us an alternative scheme.

If it was transparent, then there is no reason to move it at all.

17 hours ago, opreax said:

just place tags where meta is now

I agree that there should be a way to merge the track name with the meta. Perhaps show track normally and then allow clicking to display additional album, meta and ouput info. Then have a 3-second timer to return the display to the track name. The font would need to be larger and possibly put on 2 lines.

Those info such as Track title,album & Artist name should be on the Top & Middle from both side(I mean from right & left)

I would move all of them (incl. like, 3-dot menu, etc.) below the equalizer, shuffle, etc. buttons. Reduce the height of the track progress zone.

I'd like to only see the artwork and everything else disappear plz :)

Offensive comment to both the dev and other users deleted. Make your voice heard by voting, not insulting other users.

Andre

Well I think the overlaid word is no matter if they have some transparency and can also match the color of the album cover.

BTW, we can see that if the dpi is low(aka display size=small), the layer is no matter because it is so small on screen.

All I want is hi-res XD

6 hours ago, moyu said:

Well I think the overlaid word is no matter if they have some transparency and can also match the color of the album cover.

BTW, we can see that if the dpi is low(aka display size=small), the layer is no matter because it is so small on screen.

All I want is hi-res XD

Yeah it kind of looks good the way it is and will be better if the above improvements are applied .. however i would like the option to a clutter free album art aswell

I have actually put some thought to it and here's my take.

Ideally the Album Art shouldn't have an overlay with information that is already offered BY the album art.
On the other hand, not all songs have an album art (and IIRC Poweramp still doesn't auto-search for missing album art).

So my take is this: First of all, forget the boxes.
If you HAVE to have text overlaid on top of an image, go subtitles style. That is, white text with a THIN black outline (could also be colored as per the background). That would be a lot less distracting than now.

However ideally I would also prefer the option to completely HIDE overlays with information that the album art already offers.
The proper way to do this programmatically would mean that Max should first have to check if there is indeed an album art and then decide whether to show the overlay, but a quick-and-dirty approach to this would be to simply change the ORDER that Max overlays the various objects.
Specifically, if the album art is overlaid last and OVER the text overlays then the text is still there but invisible. In songs with no album art the text overlays are overlaid last and thus visible. :)

EDIT: I forgot to clarify that the above are for the Playback screen, the grid view library list is jsut great the way it is!

Lastly, the Song title (which obviously isn't mentioned in the album art) could appear bellow it or where the metadata currently are.

Just my opinion, but —

1 hour ago, Feilakas said:

go subtitles style. That is, white text with a THIN black outline

— Yeah, no. I'd rather have full black background like in the screenshot… That sounds terrible…

Unless the font was absolutely beautiful, that's not going to look very nice. And if you were to use another font, how are you going to handle titles with weird unicode characters? Noto will do just fine, but it's really not that pretty. And using a more good-looking font would most likely just end up using Noto as fallback for anything outside latin characters. I like my ñ's and my CJK how they are now, all in a similar font.

The more customisable they better, providing that they're are still a few simple default options for n00bs and lazy people.