A more easy/convenient way to create file-based playlists, or less losing tracks on sd card unmount

I have a MP3 player that supports multiple microSD cards simultaneously. However, invariably, whenever I have cause to restart or turn off the device, when turned on again it's usually slower to read or scan the second; every time I turn the device on I'm resigned to losing tracks located on one of the two cards from any playlists referencing them. Since this amounts to maybe half of the music on my playlists, it's getting a bit annoying.

File-based playlists might be more resistant to this, and I've seen references to exporting playlists as files, but it doesn't seem possible to do this to specific playlists, or to create playlists as a file-based playlist in the first place. A more convenient means of creating playlists as file-based would be useful.

Poweramp creates m3u playlists and i do  not understand how you can have specific playlists which do not allow the creation of m3u playlists. The export facility in Poweramp does what it says on the tin, there is no "more convenient" way. My app also creates m3u playlists but does it in the same way as Poweramp.

Be aware that even with m3u playlists, you will still have to endure the re scanning each time you remove or add an sdcard. If you do this a lot, then you must create m3u playlists otherwise your normal playlists will always end up empty.

On the reference to pls, i am not sure these would survive sdcard removal and insertion, m3u certainly will.

Ps i assume when you talk about mp3 player, you mean an android device and Poweramp is your preferred music player

I think the OP was saying that it'd be nice if PA could export individual playlists from a menu, rather than having to export the whole lot as a 'backup' function. Also it would be nice if PA could create (and also update) M3U playlist files directly, rather than only being able to create/modify internal database playlists.

Andre

Yeah, I mean being able to directly create file-based playlists rather than needing to:

1. Create regular playlist.

2. Go to fairly-unrelated other section of the application.

3. Export all playlists as file, not just the one you made.

4. Go back, delete original.

Even just being able to create and export a single playlist to file is less than ideal, because it just condenses 2 and 3 there into one step. As far as I've noticed, the functionality of file-based playlists is more or less the same as Poweramp-specific playlists (they sometimes show different names due to differences between filename and internal name, and file-based things are obviously more portable and don't lose tracks so much) once they're made, so it seems a little odd that we can't just create a playlist as file-based in the first place, within the application.

Archived