Poweramp v3 beta-preview-build-790 - Not yet feature-complete, read first post before commenting

maxmp

3 hours ago, darkblak said:

I don't think the DAC is being utilised by PA v790 on LG v30. I find the music quality so much better using built in player or USB Audio Player Pro. PA v790 may report it's being used - but I don't believe it is. I think PA v790 is down sampling the music and then passing it to the DAC

The quad dac should be being used if it is turned on and poweramps's hi-res works on both Oreo and Nougat so music shouldn't be downsampled. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that the stock LG player resamples all audio to 16 bit/48khz. I generally use USB audio player pro as well.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

The quad dac should be being used if it is turned on and poweramps's hi-res works on both Oreo and Nougat so music shouldn't be downsampled. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that the stock LG player resamples all audio to 16 bit/48khz. I generally use USB audio player pro as well.

I've got USB Audio... set to Bit Perfect mode.

23 hours ago, BROKEN said:

Do you know about the bug in 705+ and 790 that when trying to control volume while screen is off, it will not work?

Trying to use volume will actually trigger shortcuts like camera ect.

If I go back to 704, it works normal.

yep!

26 minutes ago, pinkylove said:

Hey im new to this forum..which is the newest version...thanks

709 is the latest test build that is 'feature complete', and features high-res audio and some other new features such as visualisations. It is suitable for daily use, and works with some older versions of Android.

790 is a test version of the new user interface, but it is lacking in a number of fairly major features (such as many of the Library and Playlist facilities). It is very pretty, but not really ready for daily use until the missing features are brought into the new interface system. It only works with Android 5.0, and is the direction that the app will be going for the main v3 official release.

Andre

Tried running the newest 709 build on my HTC One M8 - seems like the "High Res Output (Experimental)" option has disappeared from my device with this update?

Rolling back to version 703 restores the option, with the variant "Snapdragon 24-bit PCM" listed.

Is there a way to get the High-Res output feature back and working on the new 709 release with my device?

6 minutes ago, Neosiris said:

LOOOOOOL, are y'all seriously hoping for the final version to be released before June as max said in his statement? 

It's never gonna happen haha! Unless he forgot to add the 2034 as the year of release

Don't you have anything better to do?

I don't have that many issues with this build except for using Bluetooth in my car. The compatibility went from "literally perfect" to "basically nothing works" when I updated my phone to Android 8.0 (phone is the original OnePlus3). The situation in this beta got even worse compared to the previous Alpha version.

Basically, my car supports full ID3 tag display, seekbar with time, fast forwarding and rewind, toggling of shuffle and repeat, and of course play pause and skipping back and forth. I'm pretty sure it also supports browsing the music library but I've never seen it work on Android (I've seen it work on some iPhones).

On Android 7 on both the alpha and the regular version everything was just perfect, I could even triple click the fast forward or rewind button to go to the next album or playlist, it was the best thing ever.

On Android 8 on alpha only the audio streaming works but nothing else, there is no display of seekbar and ID3 info, buttons don't work except for play/pause, and there are major skips in the sound.

Since this is a mandatory feature for me, if you need a beta tester to check out BT compatibility I will offer myself volountary. I do not have this issue with other player, besides, on Android 7 it worked just perfectly.

My car is the Toyota Aygo  2015 which uses the same system as the Peugeot 108 and Citroen C1 2015.

On 03/05/2018 at 10:46 AM, Death-Dealer said:

F ing thank you for not being a fanboy! 

I'm glad to see there are other people out there don't automatically love shitty things because they're new and shiny. If it's new and fancy, it's automatically awesome no matter how objectively awful it is.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:27 PM, Ameya28 said:

Well they are a PIA if you have butter fingers of course! Plus the wavebar is something exclusive to Poweramp right now and is not implemented other than SoundCloud quite fine in working. What you are suggesting will degrade the ui forget making it better . I get that people would love to have both the options but it isn't easy to implement.

They're a pain in the ass by their very nature, tap is more natural than swipe, overswiping is far too easy, accidental swiping is far too easy, and buttons are, in fact, more intuitive. Buttons are an obvious function, swiping isn't, if you have to figure out how to do something, even if it takes a second or two, then it's by definition not intuitive, intuitive means just picking it up and using it without having to think about how.

And so TF what if the wavebar is exclusive to PA? That doesn't make it good, it just means Poweramp is the only app that uses. Ever think that maybe there's a good reason for this, because it's a pointless eyesore that takes up far too much screen space and serve no useful purpose? And this just demonstrates the point I made to Death_Dealer, your entire argument for the wavebar is that it's new and exclusive. Your argument is that it should stay because it's a novelty, not because it's useful, not because it adds anything, but because it's new, and fancy, and shiny. Fanboys will be fanboys.

What I'm suggesting would improve the UI, which wouldn't be hard, because the UI is crap. Complete crap. On every single conceivable level. Sticking with idiotic plans simply because they took a long time to make and changing them would be hard is just as idiotic as the plans, themsleves.. I'll gladly wait another two years if it means Max comes out with a new UI that isn't utterly horrid in every way.

[Obscenities and personal insults deleted -- Admin]

3 hours ago, Devin said:

They're a pain in the ass by their very nature, tap is more natural than swipe, overswiping is far too easy, accidental swiping is far too easy, and buttons are, in fact, more intuitive. Buttons are an obvious function, swiping isn't, if you have to figure out how to do something, even if it takes a second or two, then it's by definition not intuitive, intuitive means just picking it up and using it without having to think about how.

The interface is intuitive and stop. Material design app have also introduction screens: when the app will be complete maybe there will be one with the description on how to do certain things like skipping etc. Other thing: the wavebar use is evident; you can fast move through the music and you can see most important frequencies. Last but not less important the fact that ui is crap is just for your own personal way of thinking that isn't universal. There is no need to be rude. And not, I'm not a fanboy. Bye

4 hours ago, Devin said:

And so TF what if the wavebar is exclusive to PA? That doesn't make it good, it just means Poweramp is the only app that uses. Ever think that maybe there's a good reason for this, because it's a pointless eyesore that takes up far too much screen space and serve no useful purpose? And this just demonstrates the point I made to Death_Dealer, your entire argument for the wavebar is that it's new and exclusive. Your argument is that it should stay because it's a novelty, not because it's useful, not because it adds anything, but because it's new, and fancy, and shiny. Fanboys will be fanboys.

What I'm suggesting would improve the UI, which wouldn't be hard, because the UI is crap. Complete crap. On every single conceivable level. Sticking with idiotic plans simply because they took a long time to make and changing them would be hard is just as idiotic as the plans, themsleves.. I'll gladly wait another two years if it means Max comes out with a new UI that isn't utterly horrid in every way.

UI is subjective and I can't call anyone's opinion on the matter right or wrong. The new UI works better for some and not so much for others and progress might not always be good but MD will make Poweramp more accessible to more people. I personally miss the buttons and I also hate gestures but I can live with them. Maybe a future update will bring back the buttons.

6 hours ago, Devin said:

If you really think you're that intelligent and have such blind arrogance. How do you over swipe using these gestures? Is your phone that laggy?

The gestures have a snap to them and a set animation they're not a revolving door. 

Also I used the 790 build since release and its my first time EVER using Power Amp. Didnt need any explanation of the gestures. But it doesn't take a genius either smh. Went back to the old UI just to see what it was like for a few minutes and I thought it was pretty jarring tbh. Very outdated.

That being said the new UI is great on the NP screen and i personally dont mind this but everything else right now is plain. Understandable, your attitude isnt. Essentially the UI is an alpha build and no doubt will have many options in the future plus skins.

Would also love to see an option to have the artist page as start page and have it like the album page but on a bigger grid. As well as having an option to turn off the drop shadow around album art on NP screen or just in general for everywhere there's albums/artist images.

EDIT: Oh dang I forgot to try pinch zoom on lists for weeks haha, didn't realize it changed the grids!, 3x3 looks great on my s8+ max res. A 4x4 grid would be nice too!

While I'm at it I just want to say amazing work on the sound and new UI so far. @maxmp

12 hours ago, Devin said:

Well if you didn't find a use for the wavebar it tells how much into UI you are .. not saying your outlook towards ui is old .. but u are trying to forcefully perceive it as that.. U may be liking clicking on something u see and know .But there's no need to..still the 790 has more buttons than the previous ones I'd say ? and they have boxes for them also.So its an irony u feel that the new Poweramp is gesture plagued and shiny and stuff. Its just better... More clean and more intuitive . And yes.. u can wait 2 more years for a new ui so do it then.. cos we all are enjoying what we've got right here and couldn't care less☺️

I would also agree with you, the new dress is very beautiful but also 
I found myself better before and to me of the dress, however, I never 
imported it. But it is also true that if the mass wants this "innovation"
Max the product he must sell, and he will work in this sense. The "fault"
 is not of the offer, but of the demands of the user.
but anyway, I say that in the face of this further improvement on the audio front,
I do not care about the dress, whatever it is.
I hope only those small bugs are solved as the screen off controls, 
fundamental and a check on consumption, because the drainage compared to version 
704 is quite a lot and it's not good.

8 hours ago, Xeltos_ said:

EDIT: Oh dang I forgot to try pinch zoom on lists for weeks haha, didn't realize it changed the grids!,

I think that one line has ironically completely made the previous poster's point about how non-intuitive gestures can become. A menu button marked "View Options" would be an obvious and intuitive method to change the view options, however pinching or jabbing at the screen in some random way to see what happens (and finding it after three weeks) is very obviously not so intuitive.

For the record by the way, I really like the look of new interface in general terms, and I love the animations. I think Max has done a really great job. My concerns are more operational, in that it is too gesture based and prone to accidental operation (I too prefer simple and unambiguous buttons and menus); there is too much clutter over the album art (which for years users here have been asking to be as clean and unobstructed as possible); the seek bar doesn't let you move around the whole track (although it is now much better for small movements within a long track, which is a real plus).

Andre

Archived