Android car head-unit Bluetooth streaming/phone sharing options

jamespheely

Hi all - I'm seriously considering purchasing the full version of this app but I'm not sure whether it meets my needs for using with my android car head unit.

What I'm looking to do is somehow mirror the Poweramp library stored on my android phone to Poweramp on my android head unit. Is this possible by Bluetooth?

If not does anyone have any suggestions? The only other resolution i could think of was to either have my phone and head unit sync the music folder upon connection but that could be time consuming. It also might be possible to have the phone somehow connect as a virtual drive on the head unit and have power amp folders pointed to that location?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated

Thanks 

No, Poweramp simply uses the Bluetooth car stereo head-unit like any other output device (headphones, speaker, etc). PA can pass the currently playing track metadata to the output device (such as song title, artist, album) on some devices, and it can accept commands from the Bluetooth device (Play/Pause, change track, etc) but that's it. The BT device only acts as a loudspeaker and a limited controller for Poweramp on your phone, nothing more.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

No, Poweramp simply uses the Bluetooth car stereo head-unit like any other output device (headphones, speaker, etc). PA can pass the currently playing track metadata to the output device (such as song title, artist, album) on some devices, and it can accept commands from the Bluetooth device (Play/Pause, change track, etc) but that's it. The BT device only acts as a loudspeaker and a limited controller for Poweramp on your phone, nothing more.

Andre

Thanks for confirming Andre.

In that case do you know how PA would react if I could somehow get my android head unit to connect my phone as a virtual usb device. Could I then simply point PA on the head unit to the 'virtual' usb device and effectively share the library that way?

I guess it's going to be trial and error.

Thanks

James 

Using external USB devices with PA is a bit fraught with potential issues. Mainly if the device powers up before the USB connection to the phone goes live, your saved music library will be cleared and then rescanned as 'new' tracks once the USB-connected phone is found. Perhaps better to install PA on the Android head unit and use some form of memory which is more reliably present (perhaps an actual USB stick?). There is a two week free trial period for you to give it a go before committing to buy the app though.

Andre

Archived