HTC 10 - Can't enable Hi-Res Audio for Wired Headset

jstarfireb

Hi all, hoping you can help me with my HTC 10 on Android 7.1.2 (Pure Fusion ROM).  I am trying to get hi-res audio output working with my wired headset.  However, the only option I see in Poweramp Alpha 704 is for a USB DAC.  I see Wired Headset/AUX under OpenSL ES Output but not under Hi-Res Output (Experimental).  A quick search shows that others have gotten hi-res output working on the HTC 10.  What am I missing?

Have to agrree it is the rom's fault, nothing Poweramp can do to fix it, for high res output to work you need a rom that has those audio paths enabled, most people who make these roms have no idea about them or how to make them.

OK, thanks all.  That's what I was afraid of.  I guess people who made it work must have been on stock Sense ROMs rather than AOSP.

I was able to get something passable working by flashing the ARISE sound mod, but it uses a 16-bit Lenovo DAC instead of the 24-bit hardware DAC.  Better than nothing, but not as good as stock sound.

• 9 months later...

AOSP roms for HTC10 have all the needed magic to use the dedicated DAC (what do you know it exposes the same interface as the Snapdragon integrated one only has different hardware) and DSP (you can check Lineage OS sources).
It's just that Poweramp doesn't use any of that.
I have HTC 10 on stock Android 7 and Poweramp is one of the few players that doesn't output HiRes (at least not proper HiRes).
I tried all  v3 versions and found that:

- HiRes Experimental: outputs HiRes but always resamples everything to the selected sample rate. Causes some 1.8 seconds of latency.

-OpenSL (both normal and HD): same as above, always resamples to target.

-AudioTrack: Works well but resamples to 48KHz.

With other players using AudioTrack logcat shows info about the native Android decoder handling all sample rates up to 192KHz and all bit depths up to 24bit.
So this is an issue with Poweramp using a custom audio decoder.
Modern Android doesn't need this anymore since the integrated MediaPlayer and ExoPlayer do a great job at offloading audio decoding to DSP units.

Btw using Poweramp drains the battery really fast (~10% for an hour of playback).

I'll do some screenshots of how the logcat looks like when playing audio later.

5 hours ago, Albert said:

- HiRes Experimental: outputs HiRes but always resamples everything to the selected sample rate. Causes some 1.8 seconds of latency.

-OpenSL (both normal and HD): same as above, always resamples to target.

In PA, when you select high resolution output you select your desired sampling rate in the Settings screen and it will then work at that rate. It does not currently dynamically adjust for different file types.

Andre

On 7/30/2017 at 6:13 PM, jstarfireb said:

OK, thanks all.  That's what I was afraid of.  I guess people who made it work must have been on stock Sense ROMs rather than AOSP.

I was able to get something passable working by flashing the ARISE sound mod, but it uses a 16-bit Lenovo DAC instead of the 24-bit hardware DAC.  Better than nothing, but not as good as stock sound.

Just use viper or leedroid rom. 

Archived