All user data disappeared

gaurav.nema

Automatic playlists- most played, top rated and other data like user ratings and user playlists disappeared.

No reinstallation, am not using third party cleaner app or anything. Not sure why this happened.

I am using Motorola Moto X play

Android 6.0.1 

Your phone hasn't updated its version of Android has it? Android 6.0.1 could be using a slightly different directory path to previous versions, which will cause all files to seem to be removed and then reappear as 'new' songs as far as Poweramp is concerned. The same can occur if you operate the phone with the SD Card removed, even for a brief period.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the Samsung Galaxy S8 and setup all my music and playlists and once I restarted my phone everything had gone. 

Lost all my playlists and had to 're import them all again.

This happens my my S4 previously where my music was saved to a memory card.

Never an issue on my S6 which was internal only. Still disappointed this is happening as seems no change in 2 odd years with this issue for me. 

This is a well known issue and has been discussed previously. When you move your sdcard to a new phone or reinstall your music to a different device, android rescans the media and repopulates its database. All internal playlists will not exist on the new device. It will use unique keys for each of the tracks etc. These keys are held on your android playlists. Any playlists saved on a different device will contain different keys. In addition, your sdcard may no longer be recognised as sdcard but is now called something totally different. Any exported playlists (as m3u or m3u8) will now hold an invalid path for each track. You can use a text editor to check this. How did you reimport your old playlists?

I used an app which backed up everything to Dropbox and I reinstall to new device. That was ok until next day when all had gone. 

Seems it didn't like me rebooting phone and possibly taking out my card draw briefly. 

This was same as on my old S4. Used to turn off for plane security and when I turned on again playlists had gone. 

Very annoying. 

when you state "backed everything up" do you mean your music or was your device rooted and you backed up the /data/data/com.providers.media folders ?

If your interest is simply in preserving playlists, make sure you export them as m3u playlists. Poweramp has this functionality. You will find though that these m3u playlists will probably not work but not to worry, you can import them into android using my app. Once in android, Poweramp can import them.The import   does not care where you place the tracks.  It has the added benefit that you can also back up your Poweramp ratings or even write the ratings to the track itself.

Archived