Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Which core features of the release product (currently build 588/589) are broken for you?

As for the timescale, yes the amount of time that programming takes frustrates me too - but as I've said in the past, if you feel you can do it quicker or better then you are very welcome to write your own app, and I'm sure we all look forward to seeing it.

Andre

It's a bit disappointing when a person, who seems to be the last, who is talking with community at all, say someting like this. Thank You for great advice...

I described my story in one of the last posts, I never ever think about updating Poweramp, until it's broken. I've bought this app many years ago, all I need (and I think - we, as community) is just an information. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As for the timescale, yes the amount of time that programming takes frustrates me too - but as I've said in the past, if you feel you can do it quicker or better then you are very welcome to write your own app, and I'm sure we all look forward to seeing it.

Just noticed it. @AdamZamoyski is right to be dissapointed. No one forced the developer to do it or do it alone. It was his choice and his alone. If @AdamZamoyski (or any of us for that matter) had the will, time, skill and resources to start developing he would not be here as a user.

On the other hand I can understand @andrewilley as he is literally caught in the middle and this often creates frustration, especially if one of the parties is completely non-responsive. Seriously though, if Max continues to act this way then I'm sorry to say, this forum serves no purpose at all!  

This thread is called "Poweramp v3 Project Update" not "Express your frustration here".
8 pages of useless "soap opera" as somebody earlier observed... Now people feel entitled to question his personal life, twitter posts, etc. Lame... Get another player, or get a life!
I would lock this thread and open it when there is an UPDATE to post and to discuss. I come here to look for an update not for endless complains.

1 hour ago, KopaneDePooj said:

I would lock this thread and open it when there is an UPDATE to post and to discuss. I come here to look for an update not for endless complains.

I have considered locking this thread, but at least it keeps all the ETA requests in once place. I have deleted some of the more excessive personal comments about other users though.

Andre

On 20/04/2017 at 5:20 PM, jomaga said:

I have bacon with 7.1.2 installed (Resurrection remix rom). Hi res audio is available for Wired Headset/AUX and USB DAC. I have it working with my headset without issues. Unfortunately, bluetooth audio don't support Hi-res

I rock the same rom. Can you share screenshot? 

Also I would hate to have video playback.  The current integration of Mp4 files is getting on my nerves. It keeps scanning video clips in download folder.  At least have option to avoid scanning of certain filetypes. 

19 hours ago, andrewilley said:

While I have no idea why Max isn't able to spare a few minutes to post a brief message here himself (I have asked him several times if he could), what makes you think the Twitter account is manned by him?

And having checked, I don't see any trolling of users who were asking for updates anyway. There is a rather cute reply to someone who posted a picture of Cookie Monster waiting, which asked if a cookie would make him happier... is that what you meant by trolling? I so, please let me welcome you to the internet.

Andre

As for the first part, its an assumption.  If the guy will not pay/does not want to have others helping him with core dev work as a sole developer.  I would assume that desire for complete creative control of your product would extend to the official Poweramp twitter account.  

And yes.  A "rather cute" reply is a troll.  I don't see the term as malicious, but rather just making fun of.  That can be lighthearted and funny.  In fact, it is lighthearted and funny, but it also has to be taken in context.  With that context, it doesn't look too good.

The other reply that you keep echoing, the "make a better product" is completely true.  No one has managed to do it so far, but I talked about that in my reply.  I think that if people had the incentive to make money, a better product (who knows if it would have been an equal) may have come out by now.  But the constant carrot dangling dissuades development, because if you spend your time on something good when a new version of a million dollar app could be released at any moment you might not see the financial incentive in doing so.  Even if the app were to be "better" it would be extremely hard to get people to switch over en masse unless the Poweramp dev made it clear that updates were going to be as infrequent as they have been.  If someone knew that they could have capitalized in the past year on there being no updates, the financial incentive to develop a new player would have been higher than it was.  Again, I do not think this is malicious on the devs part (or at least I certainly hope not.  There isn't much reason for it to be), but this may have been the effect that it had on other devs.

Hi @andrewilley. Can you consider locking this thread?! It is starting to become really useless and a deposit of frustration about a music player. 

I come here once in a while to see news or/and some new technical advices for the app itself. But this thread looks like a YouTube comment section... In videogames this kind of thing happens a lot.. Recently one developeralmost give up of his game because of comments and other kinds of abuse. Let's just hope Max will never read this comments... But something tells me he all ready did. 

Probably it was better if it was a closed alpha. Just some selected users. 

Advice to all: go back to V2 - the app that you bought - not this free alpha sh** one... 

Ну и где новая версия? Автор обещал в конце февраля, потом в конце марта, потом в начале апреля, сейчас конец апреля и тишина, причём даже намёков нет. Очень похоже на простое втирание очков. 

On 4/21/2017 at 3:08 PM, andrewilley said:

Which core features of the release product (currently build 588/589) are broken for you?

Andre

Are we discussing the release product on this thread? Even if we were, how about Hi-Res playback on Nougat? I know its experimental, but, I guess its still a core feature. I guess its one feature that only a couple apps have, which makes it even more important.

And although I cant write a better app myself, @guyverzero perfectly explained why no other developer might have seen the incentive to write a similar competing app.

But, I rest my case. Never had the intention to start an argument or to talk anyone down. My apologies if that's how it turned out to be.

Just now, djdarko said:

@andrewilley Would it be possible to add us to a mailing list, and just send out a mass letter to inform us of important news, or when the update is released? It would help most of us to relax and forget about the update until something relevant happens.

+1

3 hours ago, djdarko said:

@andrewilley Would it be possible to add us to a mailing list, and just send out a mass letter to inform us of important news, or when the update is released? It would help most of us to relax and forget about the update until something relevant happens.

Just subscribe to (using the 'Follow' button) the Test-Downloads page, http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/files/category/2-alpha-test-builds-of-Poweramp-v3/

Andre

On 4/3/2017 at 9:11 AM, Kado said:

I really don't get what's wrong with Poweramp's interface besides not being "material". It's kinda "dated" but it's neither ugly or difficult to use. 

My only issue is lack of a volume control on the main screen. 

I'd rather have network support and other advanced audio features like compressors and audio normalizers but that's just me. 

+1  

UI = Exceptional, as always, in all respects.

But having the ability to access, via SMB, NFS, FTP... etc, my home network and stream tunes from my 500+ GB music library  =  Still No Worky. ?

Sadly, I've had to resort to using BubbleUPnP to stream my tunes at home. I haven't opened up Poweramp in a couple months (I've just been using Viper to enhance the audio, and nothing else).

For me, being able to *easily* access & stream all of my music that's shared on my home LAN, from a single app, is worth a thousand skins, or that one more really cool feature, and/or the FIX to solve the bug in that same aforementioned cool feature. ?

I only mention this now, after 5 years without it, because that particular functionality not only exists today, but has for some time now, and is dangerously close to "the norm",  in terms of common features found in the latest media apps. 

I hold you, Maxim, in the highest regard, sir. I think emotions run high for both Russians AND Italians (me), eh?  Well, that's me when it comes to this one feature! 

Cheers

14 minutes ago, crashjant said:

GUI

image.jpg

And now the question. Why do some people have information and even screenshots, and for us, the community, there is no time for a simple answer?

Where did you get this?4pda?

1 hour ago, crashjant said:

GUI

image.jpg

And now the question. Why do some people have information and even screenshots, and for us, the community, there is no time for a simple answer?

If True, Maybe Max has a very limited group of friends testing on different devices and one has leaked it. 

If your Max reading through this forum, would you release a beta with limited availability? Most of the comments are sadly quite negative, it would only spawn more negativity.

If this is true we must be getting close to a beta release.

14 hours ago, woper map said:

If True, Maybe Max has a very limited group of friends testing on different devices and one has leaked it. 

Well if he has, it doesn't include me. :(

[Edit: Apparently that sample image is genuine. Shows what I know!]

Andre

Sorry for the delay)

I think I'm quite good at programming, but unfortunately, I'm bad on managing other developers, so basically I do everything by myself.

That of course is not speeding things up.

Also, I try to polish each feature until it works 100%. It's not possible to predict how long exactly that or this feature will take time to complete.
Especially on Android, when you may need to write whole functionality from scratch as platform-provided one is buggy, is not reliable, or plain doesn't work on some devices/ROMs.

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

Archived