Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly it has been many months since we got the first update. One thing that set apart Poweramp from rest of the players is its sound quality. Now more and more players are coming out every day with decent output quality and new features. So it is interesting to see what updates Poweramp has got when it is going to be released. The expectations are huge.

8 hours ago, DevilSlayerDante said:

I'm sick to death of material design, and now I won't be able to get v3 on my KitKat device...

You seriously? Kit Kat hasn't many stuffs of Android 5+ and without it no difference v2 vs v3.

2 hours ago, clever_man said:

You seriously? Kit Kat hasn't many stuffs of Android 5+ and without it no difference v2 vs v3.

I'm actually with that poster on this one. I've recently switched from my lovely stock KitKat ROM on my Galaxy Note 3 (which was kinda forced on me due to several important apps no longer supporting Android 4.x in updates) and I really do dislike many of the changes. I especially hate the Menu hardware button (which I use all the time; "Overflow List" pah, what a bloody stupid concept!) being remapped as Recent Apps (which I never use) - although I've at least worked my way around resolving that issue via Xposed modules.

There are a ton of other things I dislike, and very little that makes me think "that was a clever idea". For example the wake/lockscreen needing two separate unlocks if you use a pattern/PIN is another stupid one, why not place the pattern/PIN within the first wakeup screen? (And no, I don't want my wake screen covered with notification crap). And three-button headset buttons are now locked to the Volume key  functionality in firmware, whereas I could easily alter them in 4.4.2 (although I suspect that may be a Samsung issue). And don't get me started on stupid floating buttons! The list goes on and on. I really would be much happier with my KitKat ROM back, but I need certain apps to work. :(

Since Android 5, Google have been steadily going further and further down the Apple "you will like this because we say it is good" mantra. It really is a case of the Emperor's New Operating System.

Change-for-its-own-sake  !=  Improvement.

Anyway, drifting off-topic here! :)

Andre

14 hours ago, DevilSlayerDante said:

I'm sick to death of material design, and now I won't be able to get v3 on my KitKat device...

Thanks a lot "Max", I am not impressed

You cant expect softwareupdates for outdated OS Versions forever.

And in a lot of cases it would not be that developers don't want to support it anymore (as the android life circle is rather short and a lot of older ones are still used) but more they cant if they want to make use of improvements of it which could only made by dropping support for older OS.

On 6/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, lvwytemike said:

I appreciate the info to get 704! Literally just got the s8 plus and was so disgruntled to not see the hi res... That fixed it thanks!

I've got an S8 plus but when I set up as a beta tester and it downloaded the new version in Play, it only updates it to 703, not 704.  Have I done something wrong?

25 minutes ago, neekos said:

I've got an S8 plus but when I set up as a beta tester and it downloaded the new version in Play, it only updates it to 703, not 704.  Have I done something wrong?

You can download 704 here. You need to login and find downloads in the menu and just choose 704.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:04 PM, maxmp said:

Currently, planned v3 beta release month is set to May. This will be full featured v3 (it's basically alpha3 + new UI + fixes for recent ROMs, but not more).

Thanks!

Guys.. stop debating about beta release, ETA or asking about it. You must be understand that beta release is set to May, but next year, not this year. May 2018. Keep silent. Lets Max doing his best. Dont disturb him.

Case closed.

4 minutes ago, Mohax said:

Guys.. stop debating about beta release, ETA or asking about it. You must be understand that beta release is set to May, but next year, not this year. May 2018. Keep silent. Lets Max doing his best. Dont disturb him.

Case closed.

If that were true he wouldn't have said that he doesn't think it would meet the May deadline lol, pls don't spread false information even if you are trolling

On 6/30/2017 at 1:39 PM, andrewilley said:

wake/lockscreen needing two separate unlocks if you use a pattern/PIN is another stupid one

There's a setting to show pattern directly on every ROM I've seen so far. If your ROM doesn't support it - blame your manufacturer.

want my wake screen covered with notification crap

You can disable it easily. Look for privacy options.

And three-button headset buttons are now locked to the Volume key  functionality in firmware

My three button headset works as it should. Tried in LineageOS and MIUI8. You're right about Samsung.

Since Android 5, Google have been steadily going further and further down the Apple "you will like this because we say it is good" mantra. It really is a case of the Emperor's New Operating System.

Unlike with iOS you can have the full source code of Android and you can modify it in any way you like. Lot's of people do. So mantra changes in this case like "if you don't like it, do it yourself"

IMO, Android got much better than it was before.

14 hours ago, drunckoder said:

There's a setting to show pattern directly on every ROM I've seen so far. If your ROM doesn't support it - blame your manufacturer.

That's interesting, I've not been able to find it (and I have Googled and found a ton of threads bemoaning this issue from Android 6.0 onward, but no one has proposed a native solution). This is a Samsung-based ROM (most of the content is from the Galaxy S8 marshmallow release) and yes, I've turned off all the wake-screen notifications thus leaving a nice big empty space which could accommodate the PIN or Pattern entry zone. However it still insists that I swipe the initial wake screen away before showing the second unlock screen. Probably another Samsung firmware screw-up then, like the headset button issue. I'm gradually fixing this sort of stuff with apps and Xposed modules, but my point is I that should't have to accommodate Google's change-for-change's-sake development style.

I still prefer KitKat's richer and less flattened Look-and-Feel though, regardless of any specific issues. I also prefer Windows 7's interface to Windows 10 for the same reason.

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

That's interesting, I've not been able to find it (and I have Googled and found a ton of threads bemoaning this issue from Android 6.0 onward, but no one has proposed a native solution). This is a Samsung-based ROM (most of the content is from the Galaxy S8 marshmallow release) and yes, I've turned off all the wake-screen notifications thus leaving a nice big empty space which could accommodate the PIN or Pattern entry zone. However it still insists that I swipe the initial wake screen away before showing the second unlock screen. Probably another Samsung firmware screw-up then, like the headset button issue. I'm gradually fixing this sort of stuff with apps and Xposed modules, but my point is I that should't have to accommodate Google's change-for-change's-sake development style.

I still prefer KitKat's richer and less flattened Look-and-Feel though, regardless of any specific issues. I also prefer Windows 7's interface to Windows 10 for the same reason.

Andre

That issue you are describing is very odd, none of my Samsung phones to any of what you just described.

1 hour ago, BROKEN said:

That issue you are describing is very odd, none of my Samsung phones to any of what you just described.

So when you have a PIN or pattern unlock set, as soon as you tap the Home button to wake the device, you see the PIN/pattern unlocker (not an additional notifications screen which you need to swipe away to get to the security unlocker screen)? That's how it used to work, but in MM I can't figure out how to do that, it insists on showing me an empty notifications screen which I need to swipe away to get to the unlocker screen.

Andre

9 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

So when you have a PIN or pattern unlock set, as soon as you tap the Home button to wake the device, you see the PIN/pattern unlocker (not an additional notifications screen which you need to swipe away to get to the security unlocker screen)? That's how it used to work, but in MM I can't figure out how to do that, it insists on showing me an empty notifications screen which I need to swipe away to get to the unlocker screen.

Andre

I got the s7 with nougat, i see my notifications when i wake up my screen. I have to swipe to show the pin 

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

@andrewilley in Lineage OS 14.1 (which is based on Android 7.1.2) I have the option under "Security" > "Screen Lock" to enable "directly show pattern view", which brings up the unlock PIN or unlock pattern directly after turning the screen on ...

I personally prefer to see the "notification screen" first tho, since I mostly just want a quick peek at the time and Lineage allows me to answer instant-messages directly from their lockscreen notification anyway.

But yeah, you are right, some changes seem shoehorned into there. I'm a sucker for new features tho ;P And it has the added benefit of getting latest security patches and better overall performance / battery life.

On 7/3/2017 at 4:25 AM, andrewilley said:

Andre

No, I just enter pin, then it takes me to home screen.

7 hours ago, BROKEN said:

No, I just enter pin, then it takes me to home screen.

I guess it's only some 6.x ROMs that require the notifications screen to be swiped away before seeing the PIN screen. I'll get it sorted anyway, it won't beat me! And I've reprogrammed the silly 'Recent Apps' function on the capacitive button back to Menu, so getting there slowly.

Andre

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I guess it's only some 6.x ROMs that require the notifications screen to be swiped away before seeing the PIN screen. I'll get it sorted anyway, it won't beat me! And I've reprogrammed the silly 'Recent Apps' function on the capacitive button back to Menu, so getting there slowly.

Andre

I'm pretty sure you can stop notifications showing on lock screen.

Archived