Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Random.Potato said:

Jeez, why it took sooooooo loooooonnngggg to update this app. Hire more people please!!! You can't work alone!!! Too much wasting time!!!

Maybe Max himself doesn't think it's a waste of time. And hire other people seems to be improper

We got a brand new Hobby Lobby built in our town in less time then it's taking for the beta.  if a whole landscape is graded and prepped over months and months then finally the building gets built all this in less then a year if i remember correctly you would think a little app on a phone would be done by now.

19 minutes ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

We got a brand new Hobby Lobby built in our town in less time then it's taking for the beta.  if a whole landscape is graded and prepped over months and months then finally the building gets built all this in less then a year if i remember correctly you would think a little app on a phone would be done by now.

Can't compare apples to oranges. So far, Max's approach is hitting on everybody's nerves yet the majority of the forum accepts that his sound engine is (one of) the best out there. So qualitywise, his approach is working. The moment that another app matches PA's quality it will be time for some changes. And for what is worth I believe that this moment is very, very close.

I also do not consider that PA is dead until the majority of the user base gets tired of Max's behaviour and switches to another app. And this moment is even closer. PA would be dead because there will be no feedback for future alphas or betas.

To me saying that the users voted for Material Design was a nice excuse in the beginning. Users (including myself) voted but without the proper knowledge of the development timescale (assuming that Max is working full-time on it, which I doubt, somehow he has to keep feeding himself and beta development does not provide food). Speaking from experience, all development runs into trouble at some point (that's a rule) but at least we should have been tipped of. And last, at least some mockups should have been distributed. Why develop and then find that users may have better ideas? Isn't that what the testing is all about?

17 minutes ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

Now tell us roughly how how long it would have taken one person to landscape and build your Hobby Lobby...

Max has tried hiring other people in to help develop modular code blocks by the way, but it didn't work out well. He says he decided he may be a good programmer, but he's not so good at hiring, managing and supervising other people.

Andre

4 hours ago, musiclover said:

Can't compare apples to oranges. So far, Max's approach is hitting on everybody's nerves yet the majority of the forum accepts that his sound engine is (one of) the best out there. So qualitywise, his approach is working. The moment that another app matches PA's quality it will be time for some changes. And for what is worth I believe that this moment is very, very close.

I also do not consider that PA is dead until the majority of the user base gets tired of Max's behaviour and switches to another app. And this moment is even closer. PA would be dead because there will be no feedback for future alphas or betas.

To me saying that the users voted for Material Design was a nice excuse in the beginning. Users (including myself) voted but without the proper knowledge of the development timescale (assuming that Max is working full-time on it, which I doubt, somehow he has to keep feeding himself and beta development does not provide food). Speaking from experience, all development runs into trouble at some point (that's a rule) but at least we should have been tipped of. And last, at least some mockups should have been distributed. Why develop and then find that users may have better ideas? Isn't that what the testing is all about?

I agree. I mean for an app who has a such acclaim and a vast userbase. It Just feels that everything could be perfect if the development would have been properly managed. There are tons of apps on the play store with lots of development  manpower. But hardly any can match the quality of PA. It is totally opposite for PA. It feels like a big download that was blazing fast till 99% and then failed. Only way max could've sorted this is by posting screenshots or providing a montly brief of his developmental work. But that is not happening. The beta was set to be released by November and half of January is gone now.

Honestly, I LOVE Poweramp, and I don't even care about a time frame, and I know Max doesn't want to involve himself in the forums because of people being rude or stupid or whatever, but I find it extremely disrespectful to not just users but his paying customers to just completely ignore their pleas for some kind of feedback stating "yes, I'm working on it, here's some screenshots" or something of the sort.  I believe that it would be ideal if there were monthly updates on development, even if we didn't get an update in 6 months.  But to go this long without any kind of updates or teasers or anything is extremely disrespectful on Max's part and I hope that he realizes that and maybe either starts giving us something to grab onto or formally apologizing and giving us a good reason.  This isn't one of those failed Kickstarters.  This is completely stupid.

I don't understand why some people are getting so upset about the lack of any progress. 
The cost of the app is such a small amount of money and there are now alternative apps that work with hi-res hardware and plenty more with other features.
So if you find the lack of any communication frustrating why not take a look at other apps and move on elsewhere?
That is what I've done and I am very happy with what I am now using.
I am only paying a quick visit to this forum out of curiosity to see if anythings changed in the last few months but I see it hasn't.

@andrewilley Have some questions. Maybe they will be badly written, 'cause im russian and my english is going from google translate lul
) so, Max already done with coding, but some optimisation for android 8.0 or higher interfere with him to release at least BETA? am i right or nah?
2) is the notification bug (thanks google) last wall in front of releasing app?
3) new functionality details?
4) why is here so many toxic kids? talking sh*t like "we dont see updates, Max dont care about us, im quitting gg". 99% of all this people dont ever sees the CMD i think :/

1 hour ago, OVERCLOCKER said:

@andrewilley Have some questions. Maybe they will be badly written, 'cause im russian and my english is going from google translate lul
) so, Max already done with coding, but some optimisation for android 8.0 or higher interfere with him to release at least BETA? am i right or nah?
2) is the notification bug (thanks google) last wall in front of releasing app?
3) new functionality details?
4) why is here so many toxic kids? talking sh*t like "we dont see updates, Max dont care about us, im quitting gg". 99% of all this people dont ever sees the CMD i think :/

The problem isn't the fact he's taking so long with programming. The problem is he promised everyone a deadline multiple times and hasn't made any of them.

I would recommend to continue to use build 703, as it is a great player. But if for some reason you dont want to, here are some alternatives.

Neutron Player (Great Clear Sound, But some People Can Find It A Bit Confusing. Not me though)

JetAudio (Good Sound With 20 Band Equalizer)

PlayerPro (Good Sound With Material Design And 384 Khz Support)

USB Audio Player (Good Sound But Has Some Bags)

There players all have their own Sound Engine like Poweramp. If you want to move on, move on, but I think you will be back when v3 will be released. 

8 hours ago, utahman1971 said:

Again, they are not comparable to DVC and sound quality of PA. Keep trying to tell otherwise. I rather wait then biotch about it. Not directed with Biotch at you.

I have a beta of another app that also successfully does hi-res playback not only in Android 6 but also in 7 and 8 which PA will not with my phone.
It sounds every bit as good as PA and has more features such as DLNA playback.

Once PA was unique but it no longer is, you can now get the same audio quality with other apps.

As a player, it's dead, the project is really closed, it's just not advertised, as a big bar-boom will rise))) To date, even a stable version 2 works with lags on Oreo. The talk that Max is waiting for the update is just ridiculous.

Archived