Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

andrewilley

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

There will be some Oreo fixes in the next (beta) release of PA v3. There won't be anything done with v2 builds though, as that is now to be considered a legacy product for Android 4.4 and below only.

Andre

Ok thanks

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got 8.1 OTA on my Pixel Xl....making notification control and default lockscreen control useless (and all white).  At least fix that with V3a. I don't care about themes etc. It looks perfect the way it is. Black.  I can use the P.A. Lock screen option for now....despite Direct Unlock not working cause fingerprint is enabled.

And for the record, i tried many other players.....i keep coming back to P.A due to its EQ and sound quality.  

1 hour ago, speedingcheetah said:

Just got 8.1 OTA on my Pixel Xl....making notification control and default lockscreen control useless (and all white).  At least fix that with V3a. I don't care about themes etc. It looks perfect the way it is. Black.  I can use the P.A. Lock screen option for now....despite Direct Unlock not working cause fingerprint is enabled.

And for the record, i tried many other players.....i keep coming back to P.A due to its EQ and sound quality.  

It's too bad the best player on the market is seldom updated while Jet Audio, Rocket Player, and others just had quite a few updates in the last few months.  They're updated all the time.  Rocket player even has a beta test forum where the devs regular interacts with the testers.  I can't get the beta because it's only for oreo.  Such a shame Max doesn't get more involved with the testers and making more updates.  I guess he must be loosing interest or getting burnout.  I've been there with some of my interests so i know what it's like.  the more I loose interest in something the slower i am with updates and such.

5 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

It's too bad the best player on the market is seldom updated while Jet Audio, Rocket Player, and others just had quite a few updates in the last few months.  They're updated all the time. 

If you read the first post in this thread (as the topic title suggests) you would see that the ground-up rebuild of the entire user-interface means it has been impossible to release incremental updates for the alpha releases. Until the whole interface is fully working for all current versions of Android, and integrated with the rest of the code, it simply wouldn't work as an end-user testable app. I'm a bit frustrated too. but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

If you read the first post in this thread (as the topic title suggests) you would see that the ground-up rebuild of the entire user-interface means it has been impossible to release incremental updates for the alpha releases. Until the whole interface is fully working for all current versions of Android, and integrated with the rest of the code, it simply wouldn't work as an end-user testable app. I'm a bit frustrated too. but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

Andre

Integration...! ഽ PA.droid dx

God forbid integration of V3 β into Android P as well....?

Would it be our New Year treat?...

2 hours ago, Mübaşir Mehmet Ali said:

Integration...! ഽ PA.droid dx

God forbid integration of V3 β into Android P as well....?

Would it be our New Year treat?...

Not new year i think before Christmas is the only right time. I mean come on its already half December gone already ?

Most all of the features are great. The eq improvements are very welcome. Any chance of a dB indicator next to the sliders ?

The one real problem I have with the new version is the inclusion of a reverb plug in. I can't imagine any use for this at all. Could someone tell me ? It seems like a gimic found on lesser players. 

Poweramp is still great mind. Please don't fill it with useless features. 

Kind regards. 

I think it's a big brilliant best audio player  .it's a shame Max is not investing and keeps the app development to himself , with 50 million downloads ,and  over a million unlocker download on Google Play alone ,you'd think he can afford decent developers and coders to move things along .

2 hours ago, atrako said:

I think it's a big brilliant best audio player  .it's a shame Max is not investing and keeps the app development to himself , with 50 million downloads ,and  over a million unlocker download on Google Play alone ,you'd think he can afford decent developers and coders to move things along .

Max tried bringing other developers into the project for various modules, but it didn't work out well and he decided to keep PA as a one-man project, which is his prerogative of course as it's his app.

Andre

This happens automatically everytime. The notification automatically goes to totally white even when the notification color is selected to auto/black. And when it happens the play,pause,next song,previous song and the exit button doesn't work from the notification panel. I'm using alpha-build-703 and the android version is 8.1.0. I bought powerapm just because i loved it. But there's no update of this app. The bugs are still there for a long time. What the developers are doing. I didn't play for these bugs. Please fix those bugs and release update. 

_20171218_045101.JPG

4 hours ago, Sadab said:

This happens automatically everytime. The notification automatically goes to totally white even when the notification color is selected to auto/black. And when it happens the play,pause,next song,previous song and the exit button doesn't work from the notification panel. I'm using alpha-build-703 and the android version is 8.1.0_20171218_045101.JPG

Try 704 version

4 hours ago, Mübaşir Mehmet Ali said:

Try 704 version

I don't think 704 will help with this problem as the issue is unique to Oreo 8.1 - I don't think it even occurs in Oreo 8.0 from what people have been saying. Build 704 was intended to fix some high-res issues that occurred with Nougat 7.x last year.

Android 8.1 is so new (just barely out of beta on a couple of devices only, it only started officially rolling out to Google Pixel/Nexus devices just over a week ago) that Max recently said none of his many test devices had OTA updated to it as yet. As the issues do not affect the core app, only secondary functions such as lockscreen and notification buttons, I believe he is not treating it as a critical issue at this stage, and a fix will most likely be incorporated into the next/future release rather than breaking away from completing the current beta to create a special interim version.

Andre

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I don't think 704 will help with this problem as the issue is unique to Oreo 8.1 - I don't think it even occurs in Oreo 8.0 from what people have been saying. Build 704 was intended to fix some high-res issues that occurred with Nougat 7.x last year.

Android 8.1 is so new (just barely out of beta on a couple of devices only, it only started officially rolling out to Google Pixel/Nexus devices just over a week ago) that Max recently said none of his many test devices had OTA updated to it as yet. As the issues do not affect the core app, only secondary functions such as lockscreen and notification buttons, I believe he is not treating it as a critical issue at this stage, and a fix will most likely be incorporated into the next/future release rather than breaking away from completing the current beta to create a special interim version.

Andre

Oh my goodness, means we'll have to wait for the public v3 to fix this...

I'm running 8.0 beta on S8 and haven't had any problems with them

Yes. Its a compatibility issue with 8.1.   Lock-screen and notifications worked fine on 8.0.   Google changed they way notifications work on the back-end.

Just be great full Poweramp even still works.  The app is way outdated and not routinely updated by a team of folks like many other apps are. There are plenty of other now "Vintage" apps that will not even install on 8.0 and 8.1. 

6 hours ago, Mübaşir Mehmet Ali said:

Oh my goodness, means we'll have to wait for the public v3 to fix this...

I'm sure this issue will be fixed before the v3 official final release, but currently 8.1 is so new it's hard for Max to reproduce the problem.

Andre

55 minutes ago, speedingcheetah said:

Just be great full Poweramp even still works.  The app is way outdated and not routinely updated by a team of folks like many other apps are. There are plenty of other now "Vintage" apps that will not even install on 8.0 and 8.1. 

Poweramp is neither "way outdated", nor "vintage".   Users should routinely be asking Google to ensure that new releases of Android are backwards-compatible with existing apps.  Has anyone opened a support request with Google on the matter?  Because that is the solution.  It is Google who is at fault here, not app developers.  And it applies to all apps, not just Poweramp.  Google ought to be continuously flooded with millions of backwards-compatibility requests from users of all apps from all over the world.  And app developers should stand firm and refuse to jump through the hoops created either by Google with their lack of backwards-compatible releases, or by users who fail to see that the onus is on Google to build such compatibility into new releases of Android.

I also find, that Max should take some devs into the boat, for an app with that many users 50million plus 1million paid, the update really take too long.

I made a suggestion about audiobooks and other long audio files that are resumable, when returning to the playback (the only thing that I really miss in Poweramp). Is it implemented in the latest betas?

3 hours ago, amar7 said:

I made a suggestion about audiobooks and other long audio files that are resumable, when returning to the playback (the only thing that I really miss in Poweramp). Is it implemented in the latest betas?

No. It is unlikely to be in the final release of v3 either, as feature requests have taken something of a back seat to the ongoing work on the new user interface.

I've made my own opinions on that matter known in the past, in that I personally would have preferred to have seen two years worth of work on genuine new features, rather than the same time updating the look of the app, but a Material Design interface is what the userbase voted for and that's what Max is doing.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

No. It is unlikely to be in the final release of v3 either, as feature requests have taken something of a back seat to the ongoing work on the new user interface.

I've made my own opinions on that matter known in the past, in that I personally would have preferred to have seen two years worth of work on genuine new features, rather than the same time updating the look of the app, but a Material Design interface is what the userbase voted for and that's what Max is doing.

Andre

I think Poweramp needed the material design as much as it needed the Features. Yeah people would have had different opinions if they already knew the time it would take but i think many people use PA with a skin rather than the default UI which is a tad outdated. So there was a need for the change.

6 hours ago, jacko9000 said:

Poweramp is neither "way outdated", nor "vintage".   Users should routinely be asking Google to ensure that new releases of Android are backwards-compatible with existing apps.  Has anyone opened a support request with Google on the matter?  Because that is the solution.  It is Google who is at fault here, not app developers.  And it applies to all apps, not just Poweramp.  Google ought to be continuously flooded with millions of backwards-compatibility requests from users of all apps from all over the world.  And app developers should stand firm and refuse to jump through the hoops created either by Google with their lack of backwards-compatible releases, or by users who fail to see that the onus is on Google to build such compatibility into new releases of Android.

That's not how software development always works. Things move forward and developers are supposed to move with it. Sometimes, backwards compatibility is just not ideal or even possible. It weighs down the code and makes things unnecessarily complicated just because some developers are either too slow or too lazy or just have no interest or incentive in being up to date.

Sometimes, a new iteration of something as complex as an Operating System incorporates so many new features and changes that backwards compatibility is unfortunately a liability. Can't fault Google for moving forward. People will always moan about some app not being compatible with a new version of an OS. Well, tough life. Google (as do Microsoft and Apple to a certain extent) gives developers enough information and help to update and make sure their apps are compatible with the latest OS version. Compatibility issues are not always the case with every OS update, but sometimes, especially with major releases, it can't be avoided. 

3 hours ago, spacebar2011 said:

That's not how software development always works. Things move forward and developers are supposed to move with it. Sometimes, backwards compatibility is just not ideal or even possible. It weighs down the code and makes things unnecessarily complicated just because some developers are either too slow or too lazy or just have no interest or incentive in being up to date.

Sometimes, a new iteration of something as complex as an Operating System incorporates so many new features and changes that backwards compatibility is unfortunately a liability. Can't fault Google for moving forward. People will always moan about some app not being compatible with a new version of an OS. Well, tough life. Google (as do Microsoft and Apple to a certain extent) gives developers enough information and help to update and make sure their apps are compatible with the latest OS version. Compatibility issues are not always the case with every OS update, but sometimes, especially with major releases, it can't be avoided. 

Yes, it's about moving forward, but the "liability" (as you correctly described it) is the responsibility of Google, not of the app developer.

There was a time when OS manufacturers took it upon themselves as failure if OS upgrades broke third-party applications (before your time, perhaps?), but it has become the norm now.

Nevertheless, Android is nothing without developers, and if these developers refuse to run simply to stand still, as Google increasingly expects them to do, then developers can ultimately just pull the plug on their app and move on (Max, are you listening?)

And to say that Google provides enough backwards-compatibility help to app developers simply isn't true.  The support-v4 and support-v7 libraries are a shambolic joke; they are no more than a token gesture, a mere drop in the ocean, from an organisation with vast resources, who are (and I'll use your term again) liable for app breakages upon OS upgrades.  Yes.  They are.

The thing that bugs me about OS updates is when they are simply fashion-setting trends (such as Material Design) which you know will alter again in a few years. For example, one of the big things that I disliked about MD was the flattened and boring way visual elements were handled, and the lack of real-world imitation (Windows 8 was another horrible use of that mentality, compared to the the rich interface of Windows 7). They insisted that icons and graphic elements become more simplistic and mono-coloured. And yet here we are with 8.1 reversing that trend and adding graduated coloured backgrounds into notification drop-downs. This is  actually a nice bit of variety IMHO, except that it breaks existing apps.

When an app is functionally working fine, it is completely wrong of Google to virtually insist that developers spend more time reworking it - not for valid technical reasons, but on their whim.  

Andre

Archived