• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update   04/24/2017

As you may be aware, the Poweramp developer has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3 which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code and is taking some time to get to a beta-test stage. See the forum thread for more details and to discuss.    
andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

867 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Thread cleaned of waffle and insults.

Andre

But mine was not an insult, Andrew

Do you think Max would be interested if Google offered to make his music player the official music player for phones ? Poweramp still happens to be the best and most powerful music player on Google play, and it would look super nice to see it integrated across platforms like Android auto too

4 minutes ago, Stevieex23 said:

Do you think Max would be interested if Google offered to make his music player the official music player for phones ? Poweramp still happens to be the best and most powerful music player on Google play, and it would look super nice to see it integrated across platforms like Android auto too

Lol the main requirement from google would be the material design

I wonder if Max knows that as soon as he FINALLY release a beta build, all the Android fan sites (Android Central, Android Police, Android Authority, etc. will be all over it! With Poweramp having such a reputation among android users, this would be BIG news! He could create even more buzz by uploading the beta to Google Play's beta channel! Everyone who downloads and uses beta apps (and alpha releases even more so), knows what they're getting into. At that point, complaints and criticisms rather than constructive feedback should be ignored. I can appreciate striving for perfection but ignoring such a valuable resource he has here with a small group of devoted users giving impressions and feedback isn't a wise move. Not to mention a larger pool of people to identify issues provides more "eyes on the target" than him going it alone.

I come here at least once a week, not anymore with anticipation but rather the sinking feeling that there will be no good news. We've gone from hoping for an actual release, to hoping and praying for a mere routine update. I know that Max doesn't come here, much less actually post, but I hope my sentiments and ideas get to him somehow and he releases whatever ALPHA build he has here. For those with phones that have issues with the release, they will have to revert back to the latest that works. However, as I understand from previous posts, one of the primary issues for not doing that is due to the lack of compatibility with certain phones. I have believe that there have to be SOME users here with phones that it would work on. If it comes to that, those select few can start using the app and giving feedback.I come here often and and just read the comments, I'm tired of spectating and wanted to weigh in. Consider this my "two cents" ... 

Eureka!  

I discovered that switching Poweramp to use the Default Android audio API (not OpenSL ES)...and enabling the Float32 Sample Format option solved my sound quality issues since upgrading my Pixel to Android 8.0. 

It is like having the HiFi DAC option back. It is treating my USB DAC as it was before on Android N in HiFi mode.  It sounds great again!

Did the same for AUX/Headphone jack and Bluetooth....significant improvement!  (Especially using Sony BT headphones that support LDAC)

I read there were lots of changes in Android O audio internals and something else to due with the HAL.  

Perhaps the default Android audio API now supports "HiFi" built in?

17 hours ago, Stevieex23 said:

Do you think Max would be interested if Google offered to make his music player the official music player for phones ?

I very much doubt Google would be interested. Most of their own-branded stuff is simplistic to the extent of being banal. They've taken the Apple approach of "this is how it works, you will just have to learn to like it." Can you really see them offering anything with hundreds of different Settings control options like Poweramp?

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I very much doubt Google would be interested. Most of their own-branded stuff is simplistic to the extent of being banal. They've taken the Apple approach of "this is how it works, you will just have to learn to like it." Can you really see them offering anything with hundreds of different Settings control options like Poweramp?

Andre

That's also a problem that I have with Google. Android is the most customisable mobile platform, why not show and use this? I tried Google's music player and it's a pain to use and for example the battery section in the android settings become less useful and detailed in every android version. I'm glad that there are apps like Poweramp, that use the potential of androids customisability and openness. People here are crying because there's no update, but Poweramp doesn't even need an update to be the best on the market, because most music player developers seem to do it the Google way. This was my first post lol. I hope it's not too OT, but then again, there's not much topic, everything is said already, just not by everyone.

On 15.9.2017 at 10:57 PM, Calgary Doug said:

Android 8.0 (Oreo) implements a new hardware abstraction layer (HAL) for all media services, including audio. I hope that doesn't impose further Poweramp 3.0 delay. A summary is available at: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-0-oreo-thoroughly-reviewed/

Why would it? The current Poweramp version works fine on O. Source: Me, I do have O.

Sry for posting two times in a row, couldn't figure out how to add another quote in the edit mode.

On 16/9/2017 at 7:01 AM, Filip777 said:

It was a mistake to come here and check if something's new. Wake me up when September ends

This year's September or 2018's?

Poweramp isn't the best music player in terms of sound anymore. It seems like OpenSL ES output doesn't work properly (at least on my device or Android N). I tried AIMP (which use OpenSL Es Output as default) last night, the sound quality highly improved. I only switch back to Poweramp again due to AIMP's horrible UI.

I do not understand why there is no open beta test? If not, then there is nothing. Very incomprehensible position of the author.

Edited by andrewilley
Removed personal comments

Just hoping the best for Poweramp to have update as soon as possible, and i still check this thread regularly (ps: every 24 hours), just hoping atleast some teasers or blurry images about the updates :rolleyes:

(English isn't my native so forgive me for my mistake in writing):)

From Max it was required to fix the hi-res sound output, correct the interface, and he's doing some nonsense
Edited by andrewilley
Removed personal comments

13 hours ago, nolan2112 said:

From Max it was required to fix the hi-res sound output, correct the interface, and he's doing some nonsense

Max is doing what the users requested (whether you like it or not, there was a poll on the subject) by developing a Material Design interface. If you have problems with the current ALPHA test release then you are perfectly free to go back to the main release build. Personal insults will be removed.

Andre