• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update   04/24/2017

As you may be aware, the Poweramp developer has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3 which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code and is taking some time to get to a beta-test stage. See the forum thread for more details and to discuss.    
andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update (please read first post for latest info before commenting)

735 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, jl91569 said:

I'm hoping there will be a way to customise the gestures and layout, but it's most likely not going to happen.

Personally (and I haven't been sent a test copy, so this is just my own thoughts at this stage) I really hope there is some way to disable gestures completely - just as you can in the current release version. I far prefer nice clear properly labelled [<<<],  [<<], [>], [>>], [>>>] buttons (as a minimum) for things like track and album changing rather than swiping my finger randomly around the screen (especially when driving). A single swipe feature to get from the Player screen to Library view and back (ideally from the very bottom of the Player screen upwards) perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I also hope the  white overlaid boxes with Title/Album/Artist/etc info are not a required element too; I'd prefer a clearly defined control/information area that does not obscure any of the album art (again, as per the current release build's "Hide Panels" feature, which Max mentioned would probably be returning to the final v3 product).

Hopefully we'll all know soon enough anyway, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say! :)

Andre

Are u gonna be able to change the background to black or does it have to stay white?

44 minutes ago, Jason Adkins said:

Are u gonna be able to change the background to black or does it have to stay white?

That would be down to skins. Max did say he would include a dark theme as well as the default light one when v3 is released.

Andre

3 hours ago, Sanket103 said:

Ne update from max ??2017??2018??

I did get a brief reply from Max on Saturday, saying "I'm still working on UI. Unfortunately it's not possible to predict when it will end, and I can't set deadline. Will try to post current state of things on forum shortly, though."

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

I did get a brief reply from Max on Saturday, saying "I'm still working on UI. Unfortunately it's not possible to predict when it will end, and I can't set deadline. Will try to post current state of things on forum shortly, though."

Andre

Nice to hear a status report.  Too bad he's hung up on the UI.  Glad to hear he might report on the forum soon.  I sure can't wait for the finished product ;)  Moreso because my phone is too picky and won't play right with anything other then the 704 build.  Even the stock player skips in every song.

4 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

Too bad he's hung up on the UI.

The problem is that once Max started down the route of rebuilding the entire interface from the ground up, there could be no more incremental updates. The next beta can't be released until everything works properly on all test devices. I've made my own feelings clear on the importance of the interface versus real added features, but that's what the users voted for and it was never going to be a quick tweak.

Andre

On 28-7-2017 at 6:24 PM, chaithanya0207 said:

IMG_20170728_215053.thumb.jpg.c21679e9b1690502b95dd9f1ed7ba9a7.jpgApp is perfect now. Develop skins don't change menu placements. We want transparent full screen album art like Sony album app (album art displayed as 50% transparent at full screen including navigation bar still controls on top observe attachments) without hiding navigation bar.

IMG_20170728_215027.jpg

IMG_20170729_210543.jpg

IMG_20170729_210905.jpg

which version of Poweramp do you use. beceause by me it says "update needed" sony skin 1.8

Whatever you guys are doing to make it better, I am patiently awaitying the completed update...no matter how long it takes. My music library is useless without my Poweramp! Take your time and get it right! 😎

2 hours ago, KUSOsan said:

He literally said in his post that he will be charging a princely sum for it lol

You do have a point when I read it more carefully... That'll teach me to skip-read posts!

Andre

10 hours ago, Oleh said:

looks like soon It's going to be a memes forum, lol

Like what, he's gonna make a music player, and he's gonna make us pay for it??

170407_POL_trumpFrustrated.jpg.CROP.prom

2 hours ago, Seymur993 said:

Like what, he's gonna make a music player, and he's gonna make us pay for it??

170407_POL_trumpFrustrated.jpg.CROP.prom

You meant Mexico.

On 8/7/2017 at 11:28 PM, andrewilley said:

Andre

Hmm assuming that the video is true, yeah I guess he should work on the ui more

I though that was a joke when we said that release will be next year, but I can see that wasn't joke. Only thing what joke is, is how development looks alike here. Congratulations. It's already more than half year since "next month". If civilization would be developed in that speed, we would be still driving on horses back and living in wooden homes. 

That short video that showed some gestural animations looked absolutely great. If that appears in the next version, it'll be worth the wait.

13 hours ago, Kexmeister said:

That short video that showed some gestural animations looked absolutely great. If that appears in the next version, it'll be worth the wait.

No, it won't be worth the wait. Check retro player for example. This app was build in a year from scratch by person that don't have super experience in Android coding, yet made MORE than what Max did in 2 years. Sorry.

7 hours ago, Brainscollector said:

No, it won't be worth the wait. Check retro player for example. This app was build in a year from scratch by person that don't have super experience in Android coding, yet made MORE than what Max did in 2 years. Sorry.

It's probably much easier to create a music player based on existing libraries than custom-building all of the frameworks required to have hi-res output on tens of devices.

Creating a standard API to make everything skinnable is probably also more difficult than having a set interface.

It's also highly likely that Max has a day job as well, so if he was busy he wouldn't be able to spend as much time as normal working on it. I don't think Poweramp would sell enough consistently to earn enough to live on.

I'm not saying that it's not disappointing to have ETAs constantly being pushed back, forcing users to deal with bugs because he can't release a new version based on half-baked code. All I'm trying to get across is that Max is also a person, and that it's incredibly difficult to give accurate estimations on how long complex software takes to develop, especially on a one-man team working part-time.