Create bookmarks on long audiobooks and continue where left off?

amar7

Hi,

how can I tell Poweramp to continue where I left off when for instance listening to an audiobook that is 120min. it always starts from the beginning and I have to search for the time I want to continue listening.

You can't, sorry. PA only saves the playback position of the current track between sessions. As soon as you play anything else, then whenever you return to earlier tracks they will start at the beginning. 

And I agree it's a real pain with longer audio tracks that you might want to listen to in several sessions while listening to other music in the meantime - whether that may be audiobooks, podcasts, radio shows, concerts or lengthy mix-tracks. It has been a requested feature for many years, but no signs of it as yet I'm afraid. Maybe after Poweramp v3 gets officially released, Max will have time to look at older feature requests.

Andre

Wow, I really never thought that such an essential feature could be missing in Poweramp, actually a reason enough for me to switch to another player as Poweramp 3 seems to be taking ages to finish after so many announcments.. If the dev can't manage to finish the app in forseeable future, why even announce it so much, reminds me of Dr. Dre with his album Detox, that was announced for like 10 years at least until it was cancelled in the end..

Anyway, I 'll bee looking for another player

Hmm, idk, I'm searching atm.

but in my logic this should be a basic functionallity of a player, and as you mentioned it has been requested for years, why doesn't Max pay attention to this request? Shoudl't be too hard to implement if he is able to program such a player, saving sonngs position should be a piece of cake to him

There are lots (possibly hundreds?) of small requests in these forums, most of which wouldn't be hard to implement on their own, but Max the PA dev has said that every time he got sidelined by adding and testing a new 'easy' feature to the release build it was diverting him for several weeks from working on the new audio engine and user interface for Poweramp v3, which would have ended up delaying it pretty-much indefinitely (it's already taken him the best part of four man-years work).

So currently do not expect any new (non-emergency) builds of v2, but once v3 has finally been officially released then Max plans to start addressing bug fixes and the backlog of feature requests (starting with DLNA and Chromecast output I believe).

Andre

Hmmm damn, I tested many players and none did actually have that function, which is really strange, because there are so many long audio files as you mentioned audiobooks, podcasts, radio shows, concerts or lengthy mix-tracks, and really continuing where you left off only makes sense... Hope this will be added in to v3 as I really miss this function now as I listen more to audiobooks

It has been a much discussed feature request in the forums, and I feel your pain too (I listen to a lot of podcasts). The most popular proposals were to save the playback position of tracks over a certain (user-defined) length, or to be able to flag certain folders as supporting this feature. Similar requests were made for ignoring these sort of extended tracks during Shuffled playback incidentally, and I think if one feature were to be implemented then the other should ideally accompany it. Unfortunately I don't have any influence in these matters - Poweramp is definitely Max's project, and he decides what he wants to add next.

Andre

Archived