• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update   03/22/2017

As you may be aware, the Poweramp developer has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3 which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code. It's not quite ready for open testing yet, and although he would like to be able to get it out by the end of the March it may just drop over into April. See forum thread for more details and to discuss.    
x1ld3n

Maaaax! Wake Up!

20 posts in this topic

It's 20 january. And we still don't have new build.

I have asked Max for an updated target for the next (beta) release, I'll let you know anything I hear.

I do know that the whole user interface update project needed a ground-up rebuild and has taken a lot longer than expected (remember there is only one developer working on Poweramp) so feel free to blame the popular vote that a Material Design interface was the most important new 'feature' that the app needed.... ;)

Andre

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I have asked Max for an updated target for the next (beta) release, I'll let you know anything I hear.

I do know that the whole user interface update project needed a ground-up rebuild and has taken a lot longer than expected (remember there is only one developer working on Poweramp) so feel free to blame the popular vote that a Material Design interface was the most important new 'feature' that the app needed.... ;)

Andre

Wait, what?!?!?! So the "classic" UI is getting dumped in favor of MD? Lame.....

I just had an update from Max saying that he expects to be able to issue a "feature complete" beta in March (which will include the new user interface) and after a short testing period v3 will become the official release product. He hasn't been able to release any interim versions as until the UI is fully complete parts of the app would not work. 

DLNA, Chromecast and social stuff will not be in the initial 3.0 release but are planned to be introduced in subsequent builds (otherwise the thing would never get released!).

Andre

Cool beans. Hopefully it'll have more hi-res support including my LG V20 as well

4 minutes ago, KUSOsan said:

Cool beans. Hopefully it'll have more hi-res support including my LG V20 as well

The final release should, yes. The next beta will mostly be the same underlying code as the current 704 alpha-test, but with a new user-interface.

Andre

Well that's a shame but oh well. The V20's built-in player will tide me over for hi-res stuff until Poweramp gets fixed

Some people have reported the V20 does partly work with PA build 704, have you given that a go?

Andre

On 2/10/2017 at 7:35 PM, andrewilley said:

Some people have reported the V20 does partly work with PA build 704, have you given that a go?

Andre

It does not. Always says output failed.

2 hours ago, BROKEN said:

It does not. Always says output failed.

Just need to wait until Max next looks at high-res output then, which will be after he finishes work on the new user interface (the first beta of which will hopefully be out sometime in March).

Andre

On 20.1.2017 at 9:24 AM, andrewilley said:

...(remember there is only one developer working on Poweramp)...

You must be kidding us right? According to Google Play somewhat between 1 and 5 Million people bought this app, so he already earned a few MILLION bucks and he is still developing this app alone???

Correct me if I'm wrong but basically you're telling us that he is taking forever to update this app because he don't want to hire one ore more developers???

If Max is anything like me, I develop as and when I feel like it. It is certainly not a full time occupation. Also, if I had made as much as Max, I would be on holiday most of the time. :)

45 minutes ago, Nathanix said:

You must be kidding us right?

Why would I kid you?

It's his app, his work, and he continues to do it his way. I know he did look into sub-contracting some of the more modular aspects (most recently DLNA and Chromecast output) but apparently that didn't work out so well.

Andre

On 2/16/2017 at 10:57 AM, Nathanix said:

You must be kidding us right? According to Google Play somewhat between 1 and 5 Million people bought this app, so he already earned a few MILLION bucks and he is still developing this app alone???

Correct me if I'm wrong but basically you're telling us that he is taking forever to update this app because he don't want to hire one ore more developers???

Just be happy he is still updating the app. He does not need too. The app is still great for everyday use.

So is there any sign of the new release at all?

I sure hope to god there's something more than JUST the material UI in the new version when it lands....

On 09.02.2017 at 11:00 PM, andrewilley said:

The final release should, yes. The next beta will mostly be the same underlying code as the current 704 alpha-test, but with a new user-interface.

Andre

So it sounds like most nougat devices won't be able to get HiRes? I'm using my Mi Max with N and it doesn't work. On M it works just fine tho.

Nougat and hi res causing stuff to be broken here too on op3t

2 hours ago, talios said:

I sure hope to god there's something more than JUST the material UI in the new version when it lands....

As far as I know the next test release will just be the new interface (which had to be built from the ground up) but otherwise will be based on the existing code. The last thing I was told was that this is planned for March, then some time for testing/fixing (which will include some other reported issues) and then an official release of v3. Then with that done, Max will be able to look at incrementally adding new features.

2 hours ago, Seymur993 said:

So it sounds like most nougat devices won't be able to get HiRes? I'm using my Mi Max with N and it doesn't work. On M it works just fine tho.

For now, yes. Obviously the actual release version of v3 will be able to handle more recent devices though, or there will be a lot of complaints!

Andre

Personally I feel this app is dead. There is far too long between updates and it's plainly obvious the developer wants to make a lot of cash from selling the app but put very little in which is obviously his decision.

It's good it's never been sold out to a larger company however on the flip side being a one man band has it's own disadvantages.

I have used Poweramp since getting the Galaxy S in 2010 and seven years later we're really no further on.

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As far as I know the next test release will just be the new interface (which had to be built from the ground up) but otherwise will be based on the existing code. The last thing I was told was that this is planned for March, then some time for testing/fixing (which will include some other reported issues) and then an official release of v3. Then with that done, Max will be able to look at incrementally adding new features.

Sounds like the last.fm scrobbling bugs will remain then? Man, spending a year solely on UI - sounds like a nightmare - I feel for Max - tho can't help but think that it'll something be so tailored and special, that it'll quite possibly become brittle over time ( I hope not ). Hopefully there's some judicious Dagger2 usage in there separating the core code from the UI.

Personally I would have liked to have seen more/better features than a sole focus on a UI rewrite. As awesome as Poweramp is, it does still lack in areas.

Still, I look forward to seeing it - given we're so close to release, I would have thought we'd have seen some kind of marketting hype/previews/hints coming out.