Playlists not always updating when changed

nigel

I hope you do not mind but I would like to pick your brains on an issue which I have had repeatedly in all versions of Poweramp.

I store all my music (MP3, WAV, WMA, etc.) in Windows Media Player (WMP) in which I have 11 Playlists. The Playlists are synced to my phone over a USB connection. When I add/remove songs from a Playlist in WMP, about once a week I hook up my phone with WMP to sync the changes to the Playlists on my phone. I don't make changes from the phone to WMP.

Say I bought some songs which were included in a couple of Playlists in WMP. For some reason, when I sync to my phone and search for the newly added songs, they do not show in each Playlist although, when I search for the song in Poweramp, they do appear. It would appear as though each new song/change has been synced to my phone. However and this is the issue, the newly added songs do not show up in the Playlists by name or in number. So if I had 500 songs in a Playlist prior to syncing, Poweramp still shows that Playlist as having 500 songs and not the increased number or the song by name in the Playlist. It is as if each Playlist does not refresh after each new sync even though the songs themselves have synced to the phone.

In order to get the new songs to show in each Playlist and for the track counter number to increase, I have to uninstall and then reinstall Poweramp. I have had to continue to adopt this approach in the Beta version of Poweramp.

It is cumbersome and probably unnecessary for me to uninstall/reinstall after each new sync. In all likeliness there will be a setting that I need to change in order to get each Playlist to automatically refresh itself. Do you know which setting I need to change in order to do this please?

I would be very grateful for your further help.

It could be that the playlist files are not getting flagged as updated for some reason? Try a Rescan (or Full Rescan, but that's more drastic) in Poweramp and see if that brings the newly added tracks into the playlist.

You could also try manually editing one of the playlist files (or make a new test one and edit that, they are plain text) on your Android device and re-save it with some minor modification and see if that change shows up?

Andre

Many thanks for your help on this. Unfortunately, even a full rescan does not update the Playlists. I only sync from WMP to my phone over a USB and not the other way around.

It looks as though I will have to continue uninstalling/reinstalling the app in order for the Playlists to be updated. I have had to adopt this approach with every release of Poweramp.

The synching of songs to Poweramp works as pa detects this the same way android does. The net effect is that the database gets updated and this is reflected in the pa library. However, there is nothing to make your playlists update. I assume your playlists are m3u8 so will contain the full path as on your pc. How is this resolved when you copy these playlists to your device? What i think is happening,  when you uninstall/reinstall pa the pa database is deleted. On install, it gets recreated and this time the playlists are rebuilt (pa finds the playlists) as everything is done from scratch. Rather than uninstall/reinstall pa, you could try my app to import your playlists into android and save them as m3u again. (Unfortunately, At the moment the pa api (programming interface) does not allow me to create the playlist in Poweramp itself)

Thank you for your guidance on this as well as the underlying explanation. I will likely continue to uninstall/reinstall Poweramp purely because I have done so out of habit for years and, all in all, it only takes 5 minutes to setup again once a week.

Regards

Nigel

Did you try loading one of the changed playlists into an Android text editor and re-saving it with a minor change? I'm wondering if for some reason the updated files are not being flagged as modified (time/date stamps for example) so the scanner is missing them.

Andre 

Archived