Refining Playlist/now playing controls, Shuffle Suggestion

Brandon W

Hey there,

I have switched over from the black player app for now and still trying to get my head around how the shuffling in Poweramp works.

1. I would love to see maybe an option to shuffle music in a linear pattern or a queue (not to be confused with enqueue functionality) without having to sort each playlist to "random shuffle". This would make a more fluid playlist and allow me to see upcoming songs and move songs as required, something that blackplayer does extremely well

2. I also think that if a song residing in the current playing playlist is enqueude (lets call it next up) it should be moved up instead of being duplicated, given that playlists in Poweramp's now playing is not queued in a way that allows complete functional editing, a more dynamic playlist would be created through this. The process of manually moving a song in a 200+ playlist is ridiculous.

Sorry for the long post but this is the one reason why i havnt purchased Poweramp and its annoying to see that a free player can allow such fluid song queues and now playing even though all round Poweramp is a much prettier player imo.

A playlist is only one mode of playback, other possibilities are things like Album, Folder, Artist, etc. Each of these is considered the current 'list' type as far as the Player is concerned.

If you add any item to the Queue (which could be from the current 'list' as defined above, or from anywhere else in the Library) then it will interrupt the currently playing list until the queue is finished, at which point it will return to the original list again exactly where it left off. So the original list won't be affected at all just because you have momentarily popped out of it to listen to something else for a bit. If you want to permanently move a track up or down within a specific Playlist to change its playback order, you can do that in the Library > Playlists screen.

Shuffle modes are controlled from within the Player screen: tap the icon in the lower-right of the cover art area to cycle through the modes (remembering that the word 'List' there refers to the current playback mode, so that could mean Album, Folder, Artist, Playlist, etc.)

Andre

Hey,

I appreciate the response and help with the functionality part of the player. I just find it a little tedious that when i want to play music while having control on which songs are up next i have to sort the list to a shuffle and then play the playlist. The manual movement of the songs through the list is also pretty clunky. I think that a shuffled list feature where all songs are shuffled and then played in descending order would be more appropriate, as how spotify handles their queues.

I'm still a bit puzzled, you say you want to play in shuffled (random) order, but with control over what track comes next? Isn't that a contradiction? Are you saying that you want randomised playback to generate some sort of shuffled "now playing/coming next" list which you can scroll through to remove or insert specific tracks during the otherwise random order?

You can indeed play a Playlist - or any grouping such as Album, Artist or Folder) - in random (Shuffled) order. You can also use the Queue feature to temporarily interrupt that random playback in order to listen to some specific song or songs before returning to the regular shuffled playback.

Perhaps you could give a detailed example of how you would want random playback to be in a specific order?

You might want to take a look at an app called New Playlist Manager, written by user TheoKlink, which can integrate pretty tightly with Poweramp's playlists, and one of its advertised features is "generate random playlists automatically (users can set the limits)" which would presumably generate a randomised Playlist that you can then manpulate during playback. 

Andre

Andre, thank you for mentioning my New Playlist Manager app. It does indeed allow you to create android playlists with randomly selected tracks or albums. In addition you can set it to  mark the selected tracks so it does not get selected again. To play these playlists, you export them as m3u playlists.

Archived