Solution to Read Only files in SD card?

I have a Samsung S4, Android version 4.4.2. 

I just bought the app and immediately went to edit the meta tags for my library. Editing each song for the first time works great, but I get the "Can't edit read only file" every subsequent try.

I googled around a bit and the most common fixes are to root the device or move the songs in internal storage, but I can't do either, so are there any possible alternatives?

Also, isn't a bit wierd that the first time I try to edit the tags it works fine?

Do you get the Grant Access prompt? I've got a feeling that might have only have come after KitKat though, which won't help you. Blame Google I'm afraid, they are idiots. The S4 with that ROM is a very old phone though, so rooting it won't break any warranty, and the fix is really really simple once your phone is rooted (I did my Note 3 almost as soon as I got it, as there was no way I was letting Google/Samsung get away with trying to dictate what I do with my OWN memory card!).

So i guess you either root, or upgrade to Lollipop. Personally I prefer a rooted KitKat, so I don't have to put up with all that Maerial Design crud that they've been adding to Android.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

Do you get the Grant Access prompt? I've got a feeling that might have only have come after KitKat though, which won't help you. Blame Google I'm afraid, they are idiots. The S4 with that ROM is a very old phone though, so rooting it won't break any warranty, and the fix is really really simple once your phone is rooted (I did my Note 3 almost as soon as I got it, as there was no way I was letting Google/Samsung get away with trying to dictate what I do with my OWN memory card!).

So i guess you either root, or upgrade to Lollipop. Personally I prefer a rooted KitKat, so I don't have to put up with all that Maerial Design crud that they've been adding to Android.

Andre

Unfortunately , rooting is the problem here. I have an Android version which is hard to find proper documentation of, and I won't root unless I'm 101% sure it's the right way for my device. I started looking into it more seriously so it will probabily change in the next few days/weeks (it's hard to find people still talking about this phone), until that moment is there a non-root way to edit the meta tags? Would temporarily moving the song I want to edit in internal storage work?

You can easily edit the tags on a PC (use something like tagScanner), or use the supplied file explorer to copy to internal memory, edit there, then copy back again.

Not sure which version of the S4 you have, but I would have thought it should be easily rootable. I have a Note 3 running on 4.4.2, which is a similar era device, and that was easy enough to do via CF-Auto-Root Try http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2219803 as a starting point.

Andre

Archived