PA crashed now all my playlists are gone

Hello, 

I was renaming an artist's name in Poweramp and when I tried to paste the correct name in the "Info/Tags" section I got the "Unfortunately Poweramp has experienced an issue and had to close" or whatever message. When it reopened I noticed that no songs appeared and that it was doing a full rescan of my phone. It found all 4000+ of my songs but had deleted all 15 of my playlists. Some of these playlists had upwards of 500 songs in them. I pride myself on my playlists because I download about 50-100 songs a week and organize them all week long. I have been doing this for over 2 years. Now it's all gone. I've tried rescanning  multiple times as well as searching for any .m3u extensions and have not been able to find any of my playlists. Please please PLEASE help me. Not to be too overly dramatic but I kind of feel like I lost a part of me now. It would take me tens of hours to redo everything and even then I'd never be able to get them back to 100% accuracy. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to me whine. 

Whatever caused the crash, it sounds like it was related to the SD Card file system going offline for some reason. If that happens, it can cause issues with internal playlists as whenever Poweramp finds that a file or files have been deleted (or are otherwise missing) it will remove them from the Library and thus from any playlists. Even if the files are later 'found' again, the damage has already been done.

I don't suppose you had any backups did you? Either of your whole phone, or a daily app data backup in something like Titanium Backup, or just a simple occasional Export of your playlists from within Poweramp? I have all three - which might be considered a bit overkill, but it's better than the alternative. The sad thing about backups though is that sometimes you only find out how important they are when you wish you'd done one beforehand.

Andre

No I'm stupid and didn't have any backups. Lesson certainly learned just a little too late. What I don't understand is how they could just be gone. My phone/Poweramp being unable to find them is one thing but how could they just be deleted? They weren't saved anywhere in the Poweramp directory on my phone? 

The PA Library doesn't keep backup copies I'm afraid. Internally created playlists (as opposed to file-based M3U ones) exist in a database only, as references to songs within the PA Library. If a song vanishes from the Library (for example because a scan notices that the file has been deleted) then it will vanish from any playlists that were using it too. If a file re-appears later, the scanner will re-insert the 'new' song into the Library, but the playlist has no knowledge that is should contain this new song.

File-based playlists are different. Poweramp cannot modify the actual file listings, so if a song disappears from the Library then it will not be playable from the playlist until such time as the file is restored and rescanned, and then the playlist entry will be visible again.

Andre

Archived