jl91569

Buggy sound after leaving Hi-Res audio on S7

4 posts in this topic

Hi there.

I noticed a problem with the sound on my device after using Poweramp's Hi-Res audio output. After leaving the app, when I tried to play audio through any other channel (i.e. every other app except Poweramp while it is using Hi-Res mode) I would only get a high pitched chittering sound. 

My guess is that Poweramp isn't cleanly transitioning the DAC back to "normal" 16-bit 44.1Khz mode since the audio sounds like an extremely squeaky and sped-up version of the track I actually want to play that regularly cuts out. It's probably stuck in 192Khz mode and that causes the DAC to play whatever sound comes in to the buffer extremely quickly (explaining the squeaks) and then hit a buffer underflow (explaining the cutting out), but this is all my guess based on my limited understanding of computer hardware. This persists until the next reboot. 

This bug affects all audio outputs on the device that use the internal DAC and is extremely annoying so it would be nice to have a fix ASAP. 

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 with the Exynos chipset and the Lucky CS47L91 DAC. I have the latest updates applied and this has happened multiple times.

Thanks. 

I would suggest not enabling high-rez output for now then - or switch back to the main release build of PA in the meantime if the alpha-test version is causing you any other issues.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

I would suggest not enabling high-rez output for now then - or switch back to the main release build of PA in the meantime if the alpha-test version is causing you any other issues.

Andre

Thanks. 

The odd thing is that it doesn't happen every time I exit the app. 

Same problem here.

I solve that problem this way:

My Audio -->Audio focus-->Audio focus options are all off.

If the sound problem appears I start Poweramp music again. (Sound is normal in Poweramp)

Then I start the other app/music e.g. YouTube.

And then I stop Poweramp music through the notification bar.

After that the sound is normal again.