Unknown album

Lither

If there is no album name that's fine, it will still work. However wherever you would normally see an Album Title, PA will display that the title is unknown.

In the Player screen, you can opt not too see the wording if you like though. Use Settings > Look and Feel > Player UI > Hide Unknown Album.

I set my single songs to use "(Singles)" as their Album Title tag, as it makes sorting easier to separate them for stuff that genuinely doesn't have any album (such as podcasts, etc). A batch tag editor can do the job in seconds.

Andre

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, asannov said:

Waiting and hoping for this UX/UI improvement for years now. This is not that hard to implement I guess.

Hide Unknown Album option works only for Player Screen, the real eye hurting part is ListViews.

Hmmm. In those intervening 'years' you could have tagged your mp3s correctly and not had the problem. As has been said, PA is doing what it should do with the incomplete tags in your mp3 files.

There's nothing wrong with having tracks with no Album Title tag data - do you not have any singles in your collection for example, or other audio material which does not come from an album (for example radio shows)? I have over 1,000 such songs in mine, and all of them have the Album Title tag set to blank. So I agree with the OP that it would be nicer for the library views to obey the same rules as the Player screen - so if you've enabled the option to remove the 'Unknown Album' wording, it should really apply everywhere.

Andre

• 3 years later...

I understand I'm responding to an old post years later.  I'm having a similar issue. 

The issue with putting in an Album name for the sake it, that means now that it will appear under ALBUMS.

I leave my ALBUMS field blank in the metadata so that when I scroll albums, I know for certain that all of those are FULL ALBUMS. 

However my issue is not entirely what OP is asking.  I'm cool that it says UNKNOWN ALBUM.  For some reason, the thumbnail to all of my UNKNOWN ALBUMS is the same image.   And that image, for some strange reason, is Action Bronson's album cover for Heel Toe.  Which I DO have in my library.  But why did it choose that image?  And I don't know how to change it to just a blank vector of a music note. 

I tried press and holding and changing album title but it doesn't take. 

Anyone???

Album cover art is assigned based on the Album Title tag, so I'm guessing that without that tag being present you won't be able to bulk-change the artwork within PA (it will have chosen artwork from one of the tracks which is tagged). If that's the case, the easiest solution might be to add embedded cover art to each one of your individual song files - either appropriate to each file, which could be rather time consuming, or just batch-add a generic image to all of the required tracks. Use a PC program such as TagScanner to load all of your music, select all of the ones without an Album Title tag, and batch save an image to them.

Andre

the easiest solution might be to add embedded cover art to each one of your individual song files

Hey Andre! 

Thanks for responding. 

So to that quote:  I have in the past gone through every single music file and added the correct album art to each song.  It was very time consuming agree.  But I did it.  I have FOUR copies of my music collection so I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN! lol.

So every single file in my music collection has album art.  Not every single file has an ALBUM.  Only files that are part of an ALBUM have the album field entered. 

So for example inside Green Day I have Dookie and American Idiot as full albums.  Inside UKNOWN ALBUM I have a bunch of loose songs from Green Day, and all of them have the album cover from the album they were on. 

But that UNKNOWN ALBUM box/thumbnail is the album art for Action Bronson.  Action Bronson is the cover art for every single artist on Poweramp under UNKOWN ALBUM.  Why would it not just choose one of the album covers from one of the songs inside; logically the first listed song. 

Or, why won't it not change when I long press on thumbnail, ask to change it, select a standard vector image of a music note, which is actually what I want FYI.  I can select it a million times, it still does not change.

Any thoughts, or is this a bug?

I would have expected it to chose an image from any one of the songs that does not have an Album Title tag, not from a song with an Album Title tag. That could be any song I would think, depending on which one it happens to comes across first when scanning into the database (not 100% sure of that though). Do the same cover get picked if you clear the album art cache and start a Full Scan again?

Andre

I'm assuming it's pulled from the Action Bronson mp3s.  Why?  I have no idea.  But that's the only place they exist. 

I cleared the cache under ALBUM ART.   Is there another option elsewhere within the app to clear a different kind of cache?

I did some searching in the actual directories last week, for now, I'm going to leave it.  It bothers me, but not enough for me to do something that's going to require me doing more work.  And I just finished doing so much to my library.  I was more hoping a fix would be within the app. 

Thanks for your suggestions!  The community appreciates you!

That ought to clear the cache, but deleting app data and/or removing  /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/  and uninstalling/reinstalling the app should provide a completely clean start and allow everything to be read again. Backup your settings and any internal playlists first though. It might make the same choice again of course (that artwork is not from the first album or folder found on your device is it?) 

Andre 

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

It might make the same choice again of course (that artwork is not from the first album or folder found on your device is it?) 

It was never the first, I knew it was A because of Action Bronson... upon further review, I see that Action Bronson is the FIRST of the alphabet. 

I have 0point1, 1989, then 5440... THEN Action Bronson.  Hmm...

I definitely don't want to do a reinstall, not now anyway.  I could try in the future.  But, ... wait... what if... copied some random mp3 and made the artist name AAA... ... I'm going to try it right now!

Okay that didn't work but I tried changing the album artwork for Action Bronson and it worked.  Except it was another picture of Action Bronson. 

So I deleted Action Bronson (1 song) but now that image still remained! 

So then I cleared the cache. 

Now the album cover for Aloe Blacc is the image for Unknown Album!

Which is interesting because he's not the next artist, but he IS the next artist in my rap/hip hop folder on my PC.  

I have the folders on my SD card like this: 

Electronica 

Rap - Hip-Hop

Rock - Pop

I thought maybe it was because it was the first mp3 in alphabetical order in those folders, but Electronica would precede that.  So now that's really confusing.  I'm trying to understand the rhyme and reason for this, but there isn't one.  I'm going to copy Action Bronson back into my catalog and see what happens

Okay so when I put action bronson back in, cleared cache, and rescanned, and still kept the image cover from Aloe Blacc. 

Sooo... I just changed Aloe Blacc's album cover because like Action Bronson I had just one song from him, and now it sticks. 

So, Aloe Blacc then has a stock image for all his art work.  Still not a PERFECT fix, but better than before.

The odd thing is that I see the Album-level thumbnail (and subsequent list header) for my 'Unknown Album' listing shown some very random artwork picked up from nowhere in particular (a Star Trek soundtrack cover) but the artwork for each individual song within the track list (if supplied) is displayed correctly:

image.png

By the way @maxmp , it might make more sense to display the Unknown Album (or Unknown Artist) thumbnails right at the end of alpha-sorted lists, rather than putting them in with the 'U' albums. 

Andre 

Archived