We need pitch control

Casious

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

It has been requested in the past. I do wonder why though, Poweramp is all about getting the best playback quality you can achieve, and changing the pitch of a piece of music would do the opposite. 

Andre

Poweramp (beta) actually has tempo control, changing the tempo not affect the playback quality?. Has reverb too

Poweramp (not the beta) has multiple options to change playback options, only we need pitch control.

If Poweramp have options that improve the user experience when listening to their music does not detract from the product quality.

"Changing the pitch would do the opposite" If this were so, also we'd remove the equalizer option because with that option some music might sound bad. It is a misconception.

You didn't actually answer the question of why you need it, what situation do you want to use it for? The other controls you mention are mostly about making the music sound more accurate to compensate for equipment deficiencies or add ambience. Tempo was requested by people who listen to audiobooks/etc and want to listen to them at a slightly faster pace to get through the content quicker, you wouldn't use it for music (I hope, anyway!)

Andre

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

You didn't actually answer the question of why you need it, what situation do you want to use it for? The other controls you mention are mostly about making the music sound more accurate to compensate for equipment deficiencies or add ambience. Tempo was requested by people who listen to audiobooks/etc and want to listen to them at a slightly faster pace to get through the content quicker, you wouldn't use it for music (I hope, anyway!)

Andre

I need pitch control, by the audiobooks too, i want graduate the voice of storyteller, a confort question, that is not bad, must be my choice change the pitch of my audiobook.

Are you the developer?

How much paid users is necessary to add this feature?

ThX for the time

No, I'm not the dev (as it says in my signature).

There are a lot of other, even more requested, features that we have been waiting for some time for - but you never know, maybe this will fit in with something else he is developing? (The tempo control showed up when Max was working on the new audio engine, I guess it was easy to add while he was working on that code).

Andre

I came here today to make a request for two features, and pitch control is one of them and I will explain why some may want or need this feature. There is a somewhat controversial theory about how and why the western world is using 440Hz tuning, also known as standard tuning and concert tuning. There is evidence to support that standard tuning used to be 432Hz (used by the likes of Mozart and Verdi) but was changed to 440 for not so honorable reasons, involving Nazis and perhaps others. There is some scientific evidence to support 432 is in harmony with nature and more beneficial to the listener. If you do your research, beware of the cynic's and shill sites out there. There are players like "432 player" that convert from 440 to 432 on the fly. There is also Foobar2000 which has a plugin called SoundTouch which can convert to whatever you like and offers tempo, pitch and rate adjustment. While conversion may not be as good as a recording made from instruments tuned to 432, it is the only option for much of the music out there. Many musicians are actually recording these days in tunings other than 440.

Until there is a larger change in societies' consciousness, this feature will be used by the minority, but it's inclusion in Poweramp is one of real benefit. We don't want to get hung up on why 440 was chosen, no need to focus on the evil in the world. But a change needs to be made and the whole point of returning to a natural tuning is to benefit mankind.

My own theory is that if the musicians and mixers and mastering engineers knew what pitch and tempo they wanted for their music, it's a bit arrogant of me to suggest it might sound better if you tweak it a bit. :) But yes, I have heard that theory too.

EQ is a different matter by the way, that is trying to get as close to the studio results as possible by compensating for the failings of domestic kit. Well, unless you just use it to turn the bass up to 11 anyway.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

I use pitch control to play around with my songs. I primarily listen to EDM and i like to experiment with sound. Sometimes i use pitch control to match the exact sound i hear during a DJ's set. Or just change the feeling of the music. Poweramp alpha has tempo control, now we just need pitch control.

There's another thread about this in the past, which i also have posted it in:

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, 1579243958 said:

I need it.When I learn English by listening mp3,I can turn down the speed to hear clearly.

Speed control is already supported in the current alpha-test builds of Poweramp v3 (see the Downloads tab above). But not yet an independent pitch control.

Andre

• 2 months later...

Poweramp is really a geart player but because of the fact that there is no pitch control I'm now searching for another.

I need this function for my fitness classes and I'm sure about that also other trainer would be intrested in it.

ThX Hilly

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 10:00 AM, andrewilley said:

Andre

I disagree with you. EQ mostly used to make the music sounds according to people's  taste.  Some people like more base, others prefer higher ends, and so on.

Most consumers can not, in the first place, make the music sounds as accurate as what the artist intended, and for very simple reason: they are not the artist thus don't know what the artist version sounds like. 

On 3/4/2017 at 2:09 AM, andrewilley said:

Such as?

Just curious.

Andre

Besides some of the reasons mentioned before, and like many others like me,  I like to change the pitch/tempo for some songs to a level that is comfortable for me to sing along with it. In example, some singers sing at a higher pitch than my capability which make it very hard for me to sing with it especially in ? karaoke situations.  This reason alone is enough to justify the need for this feature. 

Also, sometimes I like to change the pitch of certain songs or music just to match my taste.. Just exactly like when changing the tempo, EQ, and adding DSP reverb to match my taste. 

Maybe it is not important for you, or you do not see any benefit from it, but it is very important to many people like me.

Maybe Max will add this in the future, but do I know his general philosophy is to make Poweramp the most accurate and highest quality music player on the market, so I doubt it will be a high priority (although it should be a pretty easy thing to add if he wanted to).

Andre 

21 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Maybe Max will add this in the future, but do I know his general philosophy is to make Poweramp the most accurate and highest quality music player on the market, so I doubt it will be a high priority (although it should be a pretty easy thing to add if he wanted to).

Andre 

Well, adding this feature will not affect the player target as being the most accurate and highest quality music player on the market because it will be an optional feature just like other features such as EQ, and Reverb, and Tempo.

I hope he add it ASAP ..

• 1 year later...

Hi, please provide pitch adjustment. We have very old classical music which has been digitised from magnetic tapes. It is therefore vital to have pitch adjustment for correct reproduction of the music. Hence request for the feature.

I was actually going to start a new thread, but found that this has been requested for a while. My feature request isn't exactly a strict "pitch control", but rather, an option that happens to affect pitch.

Allow me to explain. I had to look for an alternative player (which turned out to be VLC) in order to play music during my workouts. Why? Tempo control, which Poweramp did not offer before the beta. One thing that I noticed was that just like desktop VLC, the audio would become distorted the more you adjust the playback speed. The software would "slice" the audio in order to fit the speed setting. Some people are okay with this, but not for me. I need the music to be solid in order for the beat not to get sliced out and take me out of my running cadence for example. On other occasions, I just feel like slowing a song down to enjoy it in a different manner to suit the setting. I know, please don't judge me. ?

VLC has something called "time stretching audio", which means that the more you change the playback speed, the pitch changes as well, in order not to slice up the audio. Playing a song slower would result in a lower pitch. VLC for android had this option hidden in the settings, and I've used it since for my workouts. Since Poweramp is introducing speed adjustment, I believe the feature is incomplete unless you give the user an option to time-stretch the song. It might not be the "most accurate and highest quality" rendition of a song, but for those who want to rely on Poweramp as their go-to music player of choice, the option would be very welcome. 

Additionally, a feature that VLC itself lacks. If you add time-stretching audio, please consider giving us the option to set a speed/pitch to a song. The issue I face is that I have to rely on BPM-locked mixes. If I use individual songs and want to stay at a cadence of 180BPM, I would need to speed up a song, and slow another song down, manually, for each song. As you can imagine, this isn't viable for a workout setting. I'd like to be able to build a playlist beforehand, set and save the tempos, and enjoy my mix unfettered.

Here's a mockup of how I imagine it might be implemented, if the developer was to grace us with this feature. ☺️

The 'pitch' button works as I described above, shifting with the speed to the user's preference. The 'Song Set' would work as a toggle, saving the current screen's settings to a song until the user un-toggles it. This is the simplest way I can think of going about this.

I don't know. Maybe this is just crazy. lol

Time-Stretch Mockup.png

Screenshot_20180730-140600.png

• 5 months later...

pitch control is equally importan as tempo control. it is a quality thing. actually if you dont link the pitch according to tempo it sounds weird. so many people like listenning to some slow songs with a speed up. sometimes performers voice sounds better. check this application this applications does the job and it is popular for just for that feature https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smp.musicspeed

as i said it is a must if you have tempo control. i hope you guys add this feature. 

SmartSelectImage_2019-01-05-13-52-47

SmartSelectImage_2019-01-05-13-52-26

SmartSelectImage_2019-01-05-13-53-12

On 11/1/2016 at 9:44 PM, tom said:

There is evidence to support that standard tuning used to be 432Hz (used by the likes of Mozart and Verdi) but was changed to 440 for not so honorable reasons, involving Nazis and perhaps others. There is some scientific evidence to support 432 is in harmony with nature and more beneficial to the listener. If you do your research, beware of the cynic's and shill sites out there.

Evidences like the Americans didn't land on the moon, or Hitler died in South America/Argentina or homeopathy cures and vaccines do not. The theory is not contorversial, it's a pure conspirological delirium. Especially taking into account that the vienna composers used different frequencies for referencies, used tuning forks which has 422.5-1.6 hz. The whole thing is the same as every conspirological theory: lies, ignorance, misunderstanding, playing with dates (Nazi, Verdi and others) and inner satisfacton caused by the possession of 'true knowledge" 

Unfortunately in Russian: https://habr.com/company/pult/blog/407637/

P.S. I don't need that nonsense.😄

Archived