Importing playlist

athegn

I created a playlist on my Tab S and exported it. I then copied to my S5 in folder SD card > Playlists as file Birds.m3u8

I then Poweramp > settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders > Folders Selection > /storage/5A1C-2544 > Playlists

Did rescan but playlist not showing in Poweramp.

Also put Birds.m3u8 in Internal Storage > Playlists and selected that folder; still not showing Poweramp.

Help says any checked folder is watched; no neec to import.

What am I doing wrong?

Does it not even show up as an empty playlist? I say empty as it is likeky that when you copy it to another device, the pathname (i am sure it does not contain 5A1C... etc ) is likely to change and invalidate the playlist contents.  Poweramp probably recognizes this and does not process the invalid playlist. However, not all is lost, my app is able to import playlists and recreate android playlists from which you can recreate another valid m3u playlist

Thank and I may take up your offer. But before I do I want to understand more.

I found this link;

index.php?/topic/1854-Poweramp-14-where-are-playlists

"System library playlists - in system database(s).

Poweramp's folder playlists - /data/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/databases/folders.db (world readable, no root needed to copy).

Thanks!"

But on my Marshmellow i.e. 6.01 that path does not seem to exist? Does anyone know the path for 6.01?

Also can I edit the playlist file in a text editor?

BTW it really does show in path 5A1C-2544

Both Poweramp and android create their own playlists in their own databases. When in Poweramp, you just see pa playlists. Android does not see pa playlists. However, when you export a playlist, (m3u or m3u8 extension) be it pa or android, it will create a text file holding all the necessary information to find the track. These are interchangeable between music apps. You can edit these. 

When you move these playlists to another device, the pathname is very likely to be different so your new device can no longer use the original path to find your music. You can edit these m3u files and replace the old path with the new one (if you know it) but my app does not care about this, it just looks at the trackname , finds the right location and creates a new android playlist. 

To see these m3u playlists in Poweramp, you need to tell it where to look for them. Have a look here http://www.theo.klinkweb.nl/Poweramp.html

I hope this clarifies things somewhat

Funny enough but no.

Just after installing your app I rechecked and found I had put the actual mp3 in the wrong place:-;

As I am going to re-address what mp3 to store and where and what playlists I will need, your app will be used.

I think you can try this app,  Playlist Backup , It allows us t import and export playlist through sdcard and keep them safe.  With Playlist Backup you can easily keep your Android Playlists in sync with your Poweramp Playlists. I found it on google play and want to recommend you. 

2 hours ago, athegn said:

TheoKlink Android 6.0 Marshmellow has, on some devices, changed the SD card to an alpha/numeric path

The biggest problem that this bonkers change in Android causes occurs when you do the update and then run an app which (quite logically) expects to find files where it left them.

Poweramp for example will find that the entire existing music library has 'vanished' (so it assumes those files have been deleted) but that a load of brand new songs in a new location have appeared at the same time. This has the unfortunate side-effect of clearing out the contents of playlists, as the songs referred to appear to have been 'deleted'. File-based lists are easy enough to update, but internally created ones will not be recoverable as they only exist in a database. 

Andre

Archived