.7z Archive Support

gh0stp1rate

Would it be possible to get support for .7z archives? I've recently re-ripped all my music albums flac and having my albums in a compressed .7z archive would definitely free up some space on my microSD card. I already have enough space as it is on my 256GB card but would be really nice if it would be possible to free up some more.

I would be very surprised if any regular file compression systems (ZIP, RAR, TAR, 7Z, etc) reduce the size of a group of already-compressed audio (or video or photo) files by very much at all - in fact, some might even get bigger. You might get some benefit if your original files are uncompressed WAV files, but otherwise I wouldn't bother trying.

Andre

Well my entire music collection that I re-ripped in uncompressed flac is about 94.5GB in size and when they're all in a compressed .7z each album, is only about 79.1GB. Foobar2000 media player for windows supports this with a plug-in, that's why I was wondering if it would be possible with Poweramp.

Why are you using uncompressed FLAC? FLAC is generally used as a non-lossy but compressed format, which would not benefit any further from zipping. I just tried compressing 44 FLAC files into a .7z archive, and the total size of all the separate files was 720MB (755,891,177 bytes to be precise), which is the same 720MB size that the archive turned out to be (actually just a few bytes less anyway, at 755,670,426 bytes, but a few hundred K definitely isn't worth the bother, it's around 0.03% difference). 

However to answer your original question, I suspect that support for compressed multi-file archive formats is unlikely at present.

Andre

I'm a bit confused, you said "uncompressed" flac, do you mean you ripped your flac files at level 0 (lowest compression/largest size)? then placed them into 7z archives?

If you want the smallest lossless size, convert your files to APE.

Archived