Poweramp version 2.0.10, build 588-play.

Android version 6.0.1.

Phone LG G5 (H860) NOT ROOTED. Running stock.

Poweramp is giving incorrect scrobbles to my Last.fm account. 

I've used Poweramp since 2010  (or maybe 2011) without this issue, and last.fm since 2006 with other devices without this issue. 

Instead of my scrobbles showing up as the correct way, which is: 

Artist

Song

I am seeing additional information in the song part. It looks like this: 

Artist

Song - Artist - Album

This is inconsistent with my past scrobbles, and potentially going to have a large impact on any last.fm user who encounter this same issue. Say I had scrobbled Metallica's song "One" in the past... If I Scrobble it now it will be charted as a different song named "One - Metallica - ...And Justice For All". Obviously this is bad and incorrect. 

I posted about this five days ago in the Common Talk area, see here: 

That post contains information that doesn't include tests I've done recently. 

I've removed the Last.fm app and tried Simple Last.fm Scrobbler instead, issue still occurs. I've played music in Winamp on my PC, issue does not occur. I've played music with Black Player app on my phone, issue does not occur. Signs point to Poweramp. 

My phone screenshots are apparently too large to attach, so here's a link to an uploaded screenshot of my Last.fm account, showing scrobbles performed at different times from different sources last night. 

Screenshot_2016-10-14-05-21-18_zpsnxkxtj

From top to bottom, the Windhand song was played by Black Player app. The next five Karma To Burn tracks were played by Winamp on my PC, and the bottom two Karma To Burn songs played by Poweramp. 

Here is a link to my Last.fm charts if you need to see a live example:

http://www.last.fm/user/dgriffiths/library

Also here is another phone screenshot of my notification bar pulled down. It shows Poweramp displaying the correct info, but Last.fm showing incorrect info. Where is Last.fm getting this info from? 

Screenshot_2016-10-13-17-37-06_zpsqkabxc

Oh, I have checked the IDv3 tags numerous times, and everything is perfect and as it should be. 

Also, I do not have scrobbling checked / ticked for any apps in Settings > Misc > Scrobbling. 

I am no longer using the Last.fm app, Simple Last.fm Scrobbler is working just as good, but I still get the incorrect scrobbles if I use Poweramp. If I use Black Player my scrobbles are fine. 

Any suggestions? Uninstall / reinstall? 

Bump! 

Anyone out there? Anyone with the same issue or something similar? 

Anyone care to acknowledge this post (at the very least), please? 

I've been using Black Player on my phone over the weekend so no scrobble issues, but I really don't like it as a music app and want to go back to Poweramp. But getting scrobbling correct is a big deal for me. :(

I know there are issues with scrobbling on the alpha test release for Poweramp v3, which Max has said will be fixed by the time of the official release, but isn't a priority at the moment.

Forgive my ignorance (I don't use scrobbling much myself, other than for odd bits of app testing) but is there an actual useful purpose to it beyond making a list of what music you have listened to, which given that it's all stored on your phone anyway seems a little redundant, Just trying to understand the need for it really.

[Edit] I just checked on last.fm and the last time I scrobbled anything was back in March, and the listing format then seems to be "Artist -- Title - Artist - Album", which would probably match with what you are describing. The last time anything is showing before that was early 2014, which seemed to be showing only "Artist -- Title" (for tagged files at least).

Andre

I've just been doing some testing in both the release and test builds, using the official Last.fm and Simple.Last.FM Scrobbler apps.

Release build 588, running on Samsung Galaxy S3 with custom 4.3 ROM:

Last.fm (audio detection enabled in Last.fm app, nothing enabled in PA):  Logs "Artist -- Title"
Last.fm (mode only enabled within Poweramp's menu): Nothing Logged 
Simple Last.fm Scrobbler (audio detection enabled in Simple Last.fm app, nothing enabled in PA): Reports "Artist -- Title"
Simple Last.fm Scrobbler (mode only enabled within Poweramp's menu): Nothing Logged 

Alpha-test build 703, running on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with stock 4.4.2 ROM:

Last.fm (audio detection enabled in Last.fm app, nothing enabled in PA):  Logs "Artist -- Title - Artist - Album"
Last.fm (mode only enabled within Poweramp's menu): Nothing Logged 
Simple Last.fm Scrobbler (audio detection enabled in Simple Last.fm app, nothing enabled in PA):  Logs "Artist -- Title - Artist - Album"
Simple Last.fm Scrobbler (mode only enabled within Poweramp's menu): Nothing Logged 

It needs at least Title & Artist to be correctly tagged for anything to be scrobbled. It's fine with a missing Album name, but on a few tracks I've got with just Title and Album listed, nothing gets scrobbled (I would have expected maybe the filename to get sent for untagged items).

Andre

As far as I know, usefulness of last.fm is that it charts a users listening tastes so they can discover new music. There is a similar artists feature which works when a user plays say, Anciients, and the last.fm databases would show that a lot of Anciients listeners also listen to Intronaut, Burst, The Ocean, Haken, and a lot more. Their databases are very extensive. But not just that, the last.fm community is large and there are a lot of posts ("shouts") where users discuss music, events, and more. With all the scrobbled data, there exists opportunities to create info graphics such as the now defunct last.graph. Honestly, if you want to learn more, just go to the website, look at some artist pages, some user pages, etc. 

Sorry to be so blunt, but I can tell you now it should be, and has always been, Artist - Song. I don't know why Poweramp is providing the additional info, but it's incorrect. The last.fm databases must find the Album by comparing the Artist - Song to their databases. I don't believe the Album info is or ever was provided until now. 

I've dropped back to the previous build of Poweramp (2.0.10-build 585-uni) from the Poweramp website, and everything is working perfectly for me again. I've even gone back to using the official Last.fm app and ditched Simple Last.fm Scrobbler. And my Pebble is also showing the correct information now too. So clearly there was something amiss with Poweramp 2.0.10-build 588. So I just won't update Poweramp until I hear this issue has been fixed. 

I can't believe I didn't think of reverting to an earlier version of Poweramp sooner. :) 

Here's a screenshot from my phone showing notifications (Poweramp and Last.fm scrobbling correctly now) and a photo of my Pebble showing the scrobbling working. I don't know if you saw the other post I made in Common Talk, but I posted a photo of my Pebble with incorrect scrobble info. I'll post that again here for sake of comparison. Note the "..." is absent on the Pebble photo showing Anciients AFTER the song title (implying there is NO more to show, such as Album info, etc), but is present in the Vista Chino photo. Even though that info is already being displayed elsewhere on the Pebble. 

Screenshot_2016-10-19-15-30-06_zpseje3tx

20161019_153027_zpsmieqjoy9.jpg

CORRECT INFO SHOWN ABOVE.
Artist: Anciients
Song: Following The Voice
Album: Voice of The Void

Pebble.jpg.a93c34675d112cdd77780b8f67fa3

INCORRECT SCROBBLE INFO SHOWN ABOVE.
Artist: Vista Chino
Song: Mas Vino - Vista Chin... (full info would be: Song - Artist - Song - Album, which is incorrect)
Album: Peace (Limited Edition)

3 hours ago, griff said:

I've dropped back to the previous build of Poweramp (2.0.10-build 585-uni) from the Poweramp website, and everything is working perfectly for me again. I've even gone back to using the official Last.fm app and ditched Simple Last.fm Scrobbler. And my Pebble is also showing the correct information now too. So clearly there was something amiss with Poweramp 2.0.10-build 588. So I just won't update Poweramp until I hear this issue has been fixed. 

I wonder if Max had to make some changes to handle an Android version update, because my own test device (running on an oldish Android 4.3) with PA build 588 works fine with both Last.fm and Simple Last.fm Scrobbler (this using the detection feature in the external app, as this setup doesn't seem to handle scrobbling internally in PA for some reason):

Screenshot_2016-10-19-09-59-34.png

The Alpha-test release sends the incorrect "Artist---Title-Artist-Album" format, but I know Max indicated there would be issues with scrobbling on the test releases which he was going to tackle before the final release.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Andre

Hmmm, very curious! So you have it ticked in Settings > Misc > Scrobbling, for Simple Last.fm Scrobbler, right? Currently I have nothing ticked on that setting page. I read in the official Last.fm app that having it ticked in multiple locations can cause scrobble errors. Hence I have it ticked only in the official Last.fm app. 

On a side note, none of my album art is displaying now. LOL! I've gone into Settings > Album Art and looked over things, all seems fine. So then I did the Delete Album Art Cache, restarted phone, but it hasn't fixed it. :( I might try the version of Poweramp before this one a shot... if I can find a download... 

I found that on my old device (and also in the alpha-test release) the PA options in PA Settings > Misc > Scrobbling didn't seem to do anything at all. I enabled the detection feature in the Last.fm app itself, which works and just sends "Artist - Title" for me.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

That's odd. So it sounds like PA doesn't have any scrobbling capabilities just in itself? But perhaps the option in Settings > Misc > Scrobbling, simply "allows" it to work for other apps such as the official Last.fm app...? But then, when I don't have it enabled in PA, and the Last.fm app installed and set up, It will work... *scratches head* Seems like the Scrobbling settings in PA do nothing at all then! Right? 

Perfect, Last.fm only requires Artist and Title. 

I have good news (for me!)... The issue has somehow resolved itself! I did a factory reset on my phone over the weekend, just something I do now and then to clear up any lagginess and so on... And I installed the latest version of Poweramp from Google Play (build 588-play). I fully intended to install the older version I was using prior (build 585-uni) over the top, EVEN THOUGH it meant going back to having no artwork showing up... but honestly, album artwork is less important to me than correct scrobbling. BUT, for some reason I forgot to get 585-uni, and I installed Last.fm, tested a scrobble or two, and BAM, it's scrobbling correctly! Artist and Title only! None of this other unnecessary duplications! So now I have scrobbling and album artwork working beautifully. I'm pretty happy about that. :D

Archived