How can one make Poweramp 'interpret' tags from Flag files differently?

The Listener

Good morning to everybody reading this. Using Poweramp for a month I am more than happy with it-such a great tool it is! Actually one thing I could not solve so far. It is about tagged flag files. I have several artist having 'The' as its first artist name - example: The Jeff Healey Band, The Groundhogs, The Coors. All of them are properly tagged with these actual names but in Poweramp in its alphabetical order such bands are categorized by its second name. Example: (I) Ian Gillan, (J) The Jeff Healey Band, Joe Bonamassa (K) Korn .... .From my understanding and its tags they should rather be under 'T'; Example; (T) The Jeff Healey Band, Tracy Chapman etc. How can I make Poweramp consider the 'The' and put these bands in a correct order under the letter 'T'? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!

The correct way to alphabetically sort lists is to ignore any initial definite or indefinite articles (such as an initial "The", "A", "An", etc). Computers often don't bother following these grammatical rules and use just plain ASCII string sorting to make it easier to program, but that is nonetheless the correct way to sort. Otherwise, you get an awful lot of entries listed under 'T'. This behaviour is not currently optional.

It doesn't happen in path/folder/filename sorting by the way, that uses regular ASCII alphanumeric sorting, so that mode might be a better choice for you? [Edit: also I've just noticed it doesn't seem to happen in Song Title sorting either, only Artist/Album Title sorting, which seems odd]

Andre

What a speedy good reply - thank you Andre! 

It doesn't happen in path/folder/filename sorting by the way, that uses regular ASCII alphanumeric sorting, so that mode might be a better choice for you? 

I don‘t really unterstand what you mean with that. Can I choose such mode by myself?!?

Sure, just select 'Folders' instead of Albums/Artists/etc as your library viewing mode. Then the sorting will happen by the names of the folders and filenames on your device rather than by using the tags from within the music files.

I use this system all the time - it might be a bit old-school, but it works well and I can adjust things exactly how I want by naming the folders and files accordingly. The player screen will still use the stored tag description to show the song title, artist and album name, so you don't need to see the filenames themselves while you are listening, just use them to control sort ordering.

Andre

Archived