Playlists All Set to 0 After Unmounting SD

Osiris

Running power amp on Android 6.0. Recently bought a new SD card. Copied all my music without changing the path to my new SD. Unmounted the old one. Put the new one in. All my playlists were set to 0. So I unmounted the new one and put the old one back in and they're still all set to 0. Please please help. I have 85 playlists I've been working on for months, if they're gone forever I will be crushed. Thank you.  Edit: all my music is  showing up in my library but playlists are all 0 tracks unless I readd to them. 

Did you also move from a lower android version to android 6?

There are many posts on the forum where an andrond 6 upgrade has changed the name of the sdcard. As a result, all references to your music, held in both android and Poweramp media databases become invalid and Poweramp rescans all media, repopulating its database. This process creates new references which is why your playlists show 0 as the existing playlist entries are no longer valid. Unless you exported the playlists to m3u format, they are unrecoverable.

Did you keep the device turned off while you copied your data over to the new card, only rebooting it when the card was back in place, or did you have the phone on with no SD Card contents in place? Also, does the new card show as a different path in the Android file system? (This can also happen when Android auto-updates, especially to Marshmallow)

Either of these situations would cause Poweramp's scanner to think that all the existing music files have been deleted by the user (and thus PA will remove them from its library database, and consequently also from any internal Playlists). Then it finds a whole load of 'new' files at a later stage and brings them into its database, but they will be processed as new songs without any links to playlists, ratings, etc.

If this has happened, I'm afraid the contents of any internal playlists will have been irrevocably lost. External (file-based) playlists will be fine, as will any internal playlists that you have exported (backed-up) to SD Card. File-based playlists may need to be updated if the directory path has changed significantly (this can be done very easily in a text editor, or I believe that TheoKlink's app can do it).

However normally Poweramp's scanner will prompt you if it notices that the whole SD Card contents have been removed or changed, giving you the option to cancel the rescan at that point and do any backups you might need before allowing it to continue to update the database. Did you see such a prompt?

Andre

I left the phone on, unmounted the old SD and put the new one in. Then went in to Poweramp. When I saw the playlists were all set to 0 tracks I switched back to the old SD. But the playlists never came back. I forgot to export them (well I didn't think I needed to when switching SDs and keeping all the file paths the same). There was no system upgrade or anything like that. Please tell me there's something I can do. Months of work will be gone down the drain and I will never be able to recreate what I had. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Edit: I was not given any sort of prompt. 

I'm sorry, but I very much doubt there's anything you can do without a backup. Once an internal playlist track has been removed from the local database (which would probably have happened as soon as the card was not present, if Poweramp was running in the background) there's no much you can do to reinstate it. A rescan will only work if you have file-based playlists (which should have restored automatically anyway).

You don't have any other backups of your device do you? I have a full Nandroid backup of my phone, plus nightly Titanium Backups, and either of those could recover from the problem that you describe.

This may have to be one to chalk up to experience I'm afraid. That's the trouble with backups, you need to have set them up before the problem occurs, thinking about it afterwards is too late. Sorry.

Andre

Archived