Export Poweramp Play Count

melspower1

Hello, my phone was recently updated to the Android 6.0 update. When I tried to listen to my music (it's stored on my SD card) it says "Folder is missing/not readable. Try Full Rescan?" At this point I'm worried because I backed up my play count along with my music from the same folder that the app cannot find. I did the full rescan and it erased all the play count. I restored my backup with my stored play count, and it's still not working. I found out that Android's new update change my SD card name to "3733-3661" when originally it was "extSdCard". I'm not sure if there's a way I can retrieve the backed up play count and then transfer it to the newly named SD card. I know this sounds confusing, but I'm trying to explain it in detail. I tried making a duplicate fullpath on my SD card (storage/3733-3661/storage/extSdCard/media/MY MUSIC)  and that didn't work because it's specifically linked to that exact folder that was renamed. I can't change the "3733-3661" to "extSdCard" and I can't go inside my backup to change the name from "extSdCard" to "3733-3661". I really need the play count.

That's why I want to know if an exported version of play count can be a new feature.  

Please help, I know it's a lot to read, bear with me! 

It's a known issue with Android M updates, the device bizarrely renames the path to the SD Card, and thus Poweramp (along with any other apps) thinks that the folder it has been using previously has been deleted and a new one has been created which will contain new music that needs scanning.

You can save settings and playlists, and user @TheoKlink has come up with a solution to save and restore star-ratings, but play counts will be lost I'm afraid as PA will consider any files it finds in a new location as 'new' songs.

Andre

50 minutes ago, TheoKlink said:

Just to let the forum users know that the "play count" is saved to the popm mp3 tag. In the near future, i will add code to New Playlist Manager to update the Poweramp database from the mp3 popm tag so you can update both rating and times played in one go.

So in the near future, you're going to implement a feature where a user can "backup" the ratings and play count? For example, in my case, I want to continue using my backed up play count but it's not working. When I restore it, I can see the play count, but once I click on a specific song, all of the play count disappears. With your app, can I update my backup so that it can be stored on your app? If that makes any sense. 

At the moment my app updates the mp3 popm tag with both rating and times played. I will soon add the reverse so the pa database is updated from the mp3 popm tag. You can also backup your rating and times played by exporting this using my app. I can not remember if i also update times played when importing this backup, (on holiday at the moment so can not check my code) I will try and shed light this weekend.

TheoKlink is saying that his own Playlist Manager app updates the POPM ID3 tags within each music file (which contains popularity data such as times played and rating). Poweramp does not do this itself as Max (the dev) was concerned it would impact on playback if this happened 'live' every time a file was played, and could cause glitching especially if the whole ID3 area needed rebuilding. Instead it uses an internal database for both pieces of information, which is quick and easy to access but is only useful within Poweramp - and it will be lost if the file is moved, renamed, etc as Poweramp will consider that this particular music file has gone away and a new file has been added.

Andre

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to purchase his app soon, the full version is going to have the feature to "update IDV3_2_3 POPM Tag" meaning that once I press that it would save the ratings and play count through Poweramp and then I can save that specific song tag directly from New Playlist Manager and maybe even store it on my SD card so that its safe? If Android 7 changes my SD card name again, TheoKlink's app would only pay attention to the exact file of the song, not the name of the folder or the name of the song? Also, if I restore my backup of my play count (it becomes visible as long as you don't play or rescan folders) I can click, "update IDV3_2_3 POPM Tag" and it would save the ratings and play count of that song? For example, I have a song that has a "backed up" play count of approx 18k. When I view/open that song on New Playlist Manager, I have to press+hold it and a pop-up screen will come up, then I click "update IDV3_2_3 POPM Tag". The 18k and 5-star rating information would be directly stored on that specific song. Now when I go back to Poweramp, and I try to play that song or rescan the folders, all my restored play count would vanish. Would I have to rescan the folder regardless, and then it would update that song's play count to the one I stored from  New Playlist Manager? Or do I have to go through a different process to see that the play count was saved properly?

Thanks for the help TheoKlink and AndreWilley

Please read what I wrote above, there are no immediate plans for Poweramp to natively support writing rating tags back to music files, and even less for supporting writing play-counts. Hopefully it may be something that Max will look into at some point in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath. To be honest, I think this is the first time I've heard anyone mention saving play counts, so I'm guessing that will be an even lower priority than saving ratings (which has been requested for years). Just don't want you to get your hopes up.

Andre

I have had a chance to check the code. The "export Poweramp ratings" option of my app exports the rating, times played and last played. The reverse process uses the exported text file and updates the Poweramp database so you can back up your ratings etc.

As explained, the other method of updating the POPM tag is saving to the actual mp3 file itself. This method is also available with the app.

What I am going to add is a process which reads the POPM tags on the mp3 files and update the Poweramp database with ratings and times played as held on the track.

What this means is that if you for instance start out with mp3 tracks with ratings on a Pc  and copy them to your android device, the new routine will update your Poweramp database so you do no longer have to re rate them manually should you lose the ratings details.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to contact me directly as this is a Poweramp forum after all. :)

11 hours ago, TheoKlink said:

What I am going to add is a process which reads the POPM tags on the mp3 files and update the Poweramp database with ratings and times played as held on the track.

That sounds a brilliant idea, and is pretty-much what I've been trying to persuade Max to do within PA for years, but at the moment the v3 development work is taking all of his time. The actual music files are the best place to store (read and write) this information as that way the data is completely portable between different installations and devices.

Max has mentioned in the past that rating tags are implemented very erratically in different programs which make the task harder, and also that not all audio formats support tagging in this way at all so it would have to be a format-specific feature. He is also concerned that writing tags every time a track is played, or if a rating is changed during song playback, could interrupt playback which he feels is counterproductive (especially if the tag needs creating/extending, which means rewriting the whole file).

Andre

Andre, i take the point on other formats but for mp3 it will work fine. In order to reduce processing I am going to put some logic around the mp3 popm --> pa database updating and if there is a pa rating already, skip the update. Updating the popm tag takes a while but i do not foresee any issues updating the pa database. It will be a batch process running in the background.

2 hours ago, TheoKlink said:

d if there is a pa rating already, skip the update.

I would suggest prompting if a clash occurs, offering to keep the PA version (which would update the file) or keep the file version (with would update the PA database), or skip the clash item completely. A tickable option to apply the same choice to any future clashes rather than having to respond each time would be a good idea.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Just to complete this thread, the latest version can update the popm tag using pa's rating and times played. It also can do the reverse, update pa with ratings and times played recorded on the popm tag. The logic around the latter process is shown here http://www.theo.klinkweb.nl/flowchartpage.html 

In addition you can simply export and import pa ratings

Archived