Poweramp Data Migration to a new phone Part 2!

Kloppstock

Do i understand it correct that by pressing

Poweramp Menu > Setting > Folders and Library > Export Poweramp Playlists

this are supposed to generate a folder called "Playlists" on the memorycard browse, then i can copy those "m3u8" files to another phones generated "Playlists" folder

and then inside Poweramp on that other unit press import to inherit that list?

The problem is I have only succeed 1! time so far to actually find this playlists folder even though Poweramp claims it have exported the playlist to the browse,

What did i do right that time that im failing to repeat, i even fail on that Xperia M2 that succed to create that folder..to repeat the procedure after i have moved the "playlists folder out of the browse :)

Screenshot_2016-08-30-17-31-08.png

Screenshot_2016-08-29-22-41-42.png

How interesting!, now it worked...i would suspect my SD-card for this, as soon as it wasn't inside the unit it worked!....this shall be investigated further, cause off course im still

failing to import these filelists from the other phone by using my technique.

This is not correct i suspect

this are supposed to generate a folder called "Playlists" on the memorycard browse, then i can copy those "m3u8" files to another phones generated "Playlists" folder

• 1 month later...

500 files later its to make a replacement file-backup, now when i remember that i had to remove my SD-card tor it to generate the new  playlist-folder on memory,

by the way...why does it demand that?, should my SD-card be replaced you think?, now im paranoid that pulling our the SD-card will kill the playlists inside the player, or maybe? that only happen

when you also put the SD-card into another unit and then back?, cause i suspect that happened in the past for me when the lists where erased all of a sudden

Your m3u playlists will not be affected by anything, they are simply text files. Simply removing and reinserting your sdcard will  cause  issues. what will happen  is that removing your card will kick off a rescan and the information contained in them is no longer correct. However, not to worry, my app is able to import your m3u playlists and rebuild a valid android playlist which you can either import into Poweramp or export as m3u again. 

Removing your sdcard will trigger a rescan and update both pa and android databases, removing all tracks that were found on the sdcard. Any normal pa and android playlists will be lost but if you have the m3u playlists, you will be ok.

Also, if you move to another phone, you will lose your pa ratings if you have these. My app also has several solutions to back these up.

You will find more detail on my website (in my signature) and in other posts on this forum.

I hope i have addressed your issues.

16 hours ago, TheoKlink said:

Your m3u playlists will not be affected by anything, they are simply text files. Simply removing and reinserting your sdcard will  cause  issues. what will happen  is that removing your card will kick off a rescan and the information contained in them is no longer correct. However, not to worry, my app is able to import your m3u playlists and rebuild a valid android playlist which you can either import into Poweramp or export as m3u again. 

Removing your sdcard will trigger a rescan and update both pa and android databases, removing all tracks that were found on the sdcard. Any normal pa and android playlists will be lost but if you have the m3u playlists, you will be ok.

Also, if you move to another phone, you will lose your pa ratings if you have these. My app also has several solutions to back these up.

You will find more detail on my website (in my signature) and in other posts on this forum.

I hope i have addressed your issues.

Great, nothing happened this time either, it just rescanned, but it have happen that the playlists where intact inside the player but contained 0 items, and im curiousto know about what those circumstances where to succeed with that, but not so important since i fail! to re-create it now :)

But i wanna now, its not normal right? that you have to remove the SD-card for the internal memory to generate the M3u files also to the browse-folder, those files is a bit precious to backup to computer.

BTW, Those ratings i do for fun...i see only a gain in that function IF my ratings can spread like a virus to the rest of the world through through a possible loophole between PA and the internet?,

Once you remove your sdcard, assuming your music is on it, the rescanning process will no longer find those tracks and removes them from its media database. (Both pa and android do this). This is normal behaviour. Your internal playlists no longer can find the references to your music, hence they have 0 tracks. Reinserting your sdcard will again trigger a scan and your music will be picked up again and entered into the media databases but they are treated as new and will have a different key. (Each track, video etc all have their own unique number aka key, in a database). By exporting your tracks as an m3u playlist, this key is not used but the path is  and as long as you put the music in the same location (ie it is the same unchanged sdcard) the m3u playlist will work.

Problems may arise when you for instance insert the sdcard into a different device but in such a scenario you can use my app to import.

If playlists are internally created (i.e. you made them within Poweramp) then any change to your library which reports that the included music files are no longer present on the device will remove them from the playlist. This could include the path to an SD Card changing, which would mean that although the files are still visible, they will be treated as 'new' songs rather than moved copies of the original songs.

If your playlists are external though (such as M3U file based, for example ones you create in another app or have exported from Poweramp) then they are 'safe in that the contents will remain in that playlist file - even if you might need to adjust the paths to which they point. (TheoKlink's app is good for doing that)

If you are replacing an SD Card, you MUST do it while the device power is off - otherwise internal playlists will get wiped as soon as a rescan occurs when the files are temporarily not present (as TheoKlink as just explained while I was typing this :) ).

Andre

Archived