Shuffle not rotating through all songs

Joe Gent

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, verycoolalan said:

HA!

I was about to make a thread about this issue. Am on the latest Alpha and I have a playlist of 700 Songs, and it literally plays the 20 Tupac Songs I have 70% of the time. It's frustrating, very frustrating. 

What method are you using to play in shuffled order? Also are you stopping playback at all, or is this one continuous session? Within one session that just shouldn't happen.

Andre

• 3 months later...

I don't know if it's the same, but I've always had an issue with Poweramp playing all songs.  It seems like I get stuck in a rut with the same songs playing, but once I add or subtract any songs from my phone, I get a whole new set of songs I'm stuck with.  I'll actually start hearing songs I haven't heard in weeks. 

I do kind of want to do a test and log the songs that pop up, but that sounds like work.

7 hours ago, dumahim said:

I do kind of want to do a test and log the songs that pop up, but that sounds like work.

Unfortunately it would be hard to track this sort of thing down without some hard evidence. I did try a while back, using a limited set of files in a folder to allow me to check they all played, and each one played exactly once. Max is adamant that unless the list gets reset (e.g. by deleting a file during playback, changing the shuffle mode, etc) PA shouldn't allow the same physical file to be played twice within one shuffle session.

Andre

I never solved the issue. The only pattern I could find is it only happens on large playlists (over several hundred). I think it would be easy if the shuffle algorithm or process was revealed so maybe we could figure out what's going on. Unfortunately this issue made me give up on Poweramp entirely. Well at least until the next version comes out.  

What's funny is I still create and update my playlists from Poweramp because its the easiest for me and it accurately identifies newly added songs compared to the rest of the apps. Then I export that SAME list (that has the issue in Poweramp only) to a few other players and I rarely hear the same song played twice with those other apps' shuffle algorithms.. 

For shits and giggles, I wanted to start a small sample test so I set it to shuffle all songs and picked the first song in my folders as a starting point.  I backed out of the app and paused to use the widget to keep track of the song number because it'll list them out like 1/879, 2/879, and so on.  So I write down the first song, hit skip and it jumped to 3/879 completely skipping 2.  Strange.  I hit back and I got 2, but it was my first song again.  I left the phone alone for a bit while writing this down and when I hit forward again, it jumped to 4 and played my original #2 song.  

Ok, so I decided to start over, but leave the music playing and again outside the app and only using the widget.  This time, the tracks played correctly and I went up to 200 with no repeats.  I paused it again for a couple minutes and hit back a bunch of times and it appears to be tracking the songs correctly.  However, while writing this paragraph, still paused, I hit forward again and instead of going to #185, it jumped back to showing #200, but it's song #195 on the list.  Left alone for another minute, hit forward and it jumped to 202 to a new song not in the original 200 and not the song after the original #195 I had previously.  After a bit more of a break, I skipped ahead a few tracks and went back and now the song originally on #195 is now 201, instead of 200 as it was the last time.  Hit forward again and it jumped to 206.  As Andrewilley suggested before, pausing should not cause a reshuffle (not that this seems like a reshuffle issue anyway) and I doubt the app is being cleared from memory in the short breaks I've taken to write.  Especially with the screen left on.  If anything, it seems that while paused and not in the app, it seems to be losing track of where it is in the list or forgot how to math.

I have the same issue and it may be related to the post above by @dumahim. You see, I listen with Poweramp in my car (when not using Android Auto) and have about 5000 songs on my device that I shuffle through. However, the steering wheel control for playing the next track is kind of glitchy and will sometimes trigger the following after a single, deliberate press:

• Go to the previous track.
  • Go to the previous track, then play the next track (a.k.a. repeat the current song. I know it's registering 2 clicks because the "beep-beep" sound between forced song changes plays twice in rapid succession)
  • Go to the previous track, then play the next track, then hold the button, causing fast-forward to occur.

I have a feeling it is messing up the list counting and causing songs to repeat, or something. I'll have to run more tests by listening while not driving or simply not using the steering wheel controls to change song.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue.

I've been using PA exclusively as my music player for years and have always had between 1100 and 1200 songs on my devices.

I understand that restarting the Shuffle list may allow for repetition of some songs, but it seems as if restarting the Shuffle list allows for the exclusion of some songs from at least the beginning portion of the list, as I have never had time to listen to the entire All Songs list straight through without stopping. There are many songs that I hear very often and there are many songs that I've never heard in "All Songs" shuffle. Given the number of years I've been using PA I would think this shouldn't be the case. It's as if PA doesn't look at the entire All Songs list when choosing the beginning of the shuffle play list.

• 2 months later...

I have the same basic problem, where I set to shuffle all songs, starting from all songs in the music selection. But, the issue that is bothering me, is a cycling through certain artists and CDs, while leaving others completely ignored. For instance, Plays Marc Anthony, then M.A., then another song, back to M.A., Gypsy swing, then another G.S, etc. I have box sets of ELO, Creedence, 3-5 CDs each, and more, and never plays one. So I guess the problem is overplay of certain music, and ignoring others completely.

• 11 months later...

Was just curious if this "Shuffling" issue has ever been resolved becouse I just recently tried the free trial version but noticed that it plays the same songs a lot ! I use it while I'm at work; have it installed on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and I work 8 hour shift so I play my music and listen to it while working and only pause it for two 12 min breaks and one 30 minute lunch but I ONLY pause it , I don't completely close out the app and then when I push play again I noticed it plays the same songs I just heard previously and my music library only has 547 songs but I DEF don't get to hear all of them, I hear the same songs over and over so before I pay for the pro version I was hoping there is a way to resolve this issue.. And I made sure that my shuffle mode was "All Songs"

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had the current beta long enough, but that has been my experience with all prior versions - the same songs are played repeatedly.  It seems that the shuffle logic includes some logic that says if this song was played before play it again, and  again, and again. lol

It would be nice if the logic was something like this

Count number of songs in the collection. Randomize that number. If the selection matches a song that was played in the last (user defined time) month, then skip the song, and play the next song.

My experience with the 704 version shows it do repeat the same song over more than 2 times.

I tried to run out of play lists and queue, I am probably doing something wrong

Just installed the new ver. 792 beta (looks like a huge UI improvement) and will keep trying 

I'm having the same issue. Every time I put on shuffle songs and play a random one from a 1000 song playlist, the next ones are always the same no matter which song I play the first. I'm using the beta-build-793 and my phone model is Xiaomi Mi A1 running Android One 8.1. Here is a demonstration video

I have the same problem. I found a sort of workaround in the meantime. Resort your playlists by something like time. There is also a shuffle sort option now. If you re sort on shuffle each time you want to play it'll be different. just be sure to turn shuffle itself off or the problem will repeat. 

24 minutes ago, Blutdamon said:

I have the same problem. I found a sort of workaround in the meantime. Resort your playlists by something like time. There is also a shuffle sort option now. If you re sort on shuffle each time you want to play it'll be different. just be sure to turn shuffle itself off or the problem will repeat. 

That'll work for the time, but won't it permanently mess up the order? There are certain songs I like to keep at the top of a Playlist, then start off with that particular song (going off into a shuffle after that). Hopefully a fix is coming soon. 

17 minutes ago, tutusinghsohi said:

That'll work for the time, but won't it permanently mess up the order? There are certain songs I like to keep at the top of a Playlist, then start off with that particular song (going off into a shuffle after that). Hopefully a fix is coming soon. 

You can resort back to whatever you had unless your order was custom to start with. One you hit the shuffle sort you can manually drag what songs you want to the top by holding them down. Big downside is if you don't do this everytime, the list will play in the same order. 

On 11/1/2016 at 7:36 PM, andrewilley said:

It's meant to shuffle the whole available list and not repeat anything until everything has been played. As long as you don't stop and restart shuffled playback obviously.

Andre

Hi all, I sent an email to Poweramp support team, and they came back stating they busy working on. 

Thanks

I'm also having shuffle issues. The shuffling works alright when playing the whole library, but if I choose a specific artist, album or genre and press the shuffle button, it always starts with the same song in that specific list. Doesn't matter if it's different sessions or the same, every time I press the shuffle button the same song starts.

Since the new update shuffle does not work right for me either. I noticed that instead of "lists" it says "categories". When I load a playlist I used to set it to "shuffle songs, lists in order" and it would shuffle all the songs in the playlist only. This no longer works. The only shuffle feature that works at all is "shuffle all songs". Even that seems to only shuffle some of my library. It took a while to get used to the new... Everything. It has slowly grown on me but the broken shuffle is killing it. Also, move the pro buttons above the seek instead of on top of it. I don't know how anyone thought that was a good idea. In portrait it's fine but I run landscape and I had to turn the buttons off as they block most of the seek bar. ... And what is a category anyway? Should be changed back to lists IMO. I've never had anything but praise for Poweramp but this new version is falling flat.

Archived