Shuffle not rotating through all songs

Joe Gent

I have noticed that since 703 update, the shuffle playlist  feature only rotates about 100 songs out of the 2000+ I have. The algorithm either appears to be corrupted or has a very limited spectrum. 

I have tried:

• Rebooting the device
  • Reshuffling the order
  • Deleting/recreating playlist
  • Other media players do not display this issue with the same playlists (played songs I had almost completely forgot about because of Poweramps's "shunning").

Was not able to resolve the issue. Anyone else experience this issue? Trying to determine if my issue is isolated to my device.

My device:
Verizon LG G4, Android 6.0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine that the shuffle is simply using a randomize function.  What could happen though is that the routine does not complete . This can happen if there is some error such as a filename with strange characters or missing data. It will be difficult to pin down. In the old days (before android 5) you could use logcat or catlog to see all that happened in the background. Due to securiy considerations Google have limited its output. Sorry I can not offer a resolution.

In All Songs shuffle mode, I hear songs from throughout my collection of 5,000 or so songs. You have one playlist with over 2000 songs in it though? Never tried to shuffle a single list that big. [Edit: my largest playlist is 500+ tracks, and a quick check in "Shuffle Songs, Lists in Order" mode shows that it picks pretty randomly from the whole list]

Andre

On 8/17/2016 at 6:27 PM, andrewilley said:

In All Songs shuffle mode, I hear songs from throughout my collection of 5,000 or so songs. You have one playlist with over 2000 songs in it though? Never tried to shuffle a single list that big. [Edit: my largest playlist is 500+ tracks, and a quick check in "Shuffle Songs, Lists in Order" mode shows that it picks pretty randomly from the whole list]

Andre

It used to work that way for me. It will even pick the same songs like 3 or 4 times  in less than hour. My playlists have always been this large.

If there are no strange characters in your filenames, try and shuffle but make sure you do not rotate your device or leave the screen you are on. Android has a annoying habit of restarting the activity (although you do not see this) when you rotate or stops an activity when you leave the screen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2016 at 9:12 AM, TheoKlink said:

If there are no strange characters in your filenames, try and shuffle but make sure you do not rotate your device or leave the screen you are on. Android has a annoying habit of restarting the activity (although you do not see this) when you rotate or stops an activity when you leave the screen. 

I understand this, however, I can use the same exact playlist on any media player and do not have this issue. Its like the algorithm play the same track 4 or 5 times in 10 instances and in between that 6 or 7 new songs. And it repeats constantly. So in a few hours time maybe only truly heard 18-25 different tracks, at best. I wish there was a way to force the shuffle algorithm not to play the same song until the list is finished. 

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, andrewilley said:

It's meant to shuffle the whole available list and not repeat anything until everything has been played. As long as you don't stop and restart shuffled playback obviously.

Andre

Well its playing the same song 3 or 4 times in a small time window. It definitely does not complete a cycle of a playlist before it repeats.

49 minutes ago, Joe Gent said:

Well its playing the same song 3 or 4 times in a small time window. It definitely does not complete a cycle of a playlist before it repeats.

Can you try clearing the app data and recreating everything? This will clear EVERYTHING from Poweramp's settings, so back them up if you want to keep them. 

18 hours ago, andrewilley said:

And this is in one continuous session that you hear the repeated songs (not stopping and going back in) and Shuffle mode is set to All Songs, yes?

Andre

For me, yes. I just get frustrated and use another music/media app (again using the same playlist) and the problem is gone. But..... you know I PREFER Poweramp. Today i just heard about 10 songs (within about 50 minutes) that I forgot I added a month ago while listening on another app that I forgot I added to my device.

Max has said in the past he checked the code, and this should not happen within one playback session.

Just to check, you are all using the "All Songs" shuffle mode aren't you? (i.e. start any song playing in the regular player screen, and then tap the Shuffle icon until it shows 'All')

Andre

Correct. If you start a playlist playing and then tap the icon to choose "Shuffle Songs, Lists in Order" as the Shuffle mode, your whole list should be played randomly before PA moves on to the next list (or it repeats the current list, you have Repeat List enabled).

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ciscokid422 said:

Andre, I followed your instructions and yet I still get repeats. Inasmuch as other also report this issue, can something be done?

Not easily, it simply shouldn't happen as long as you keep playback going. It's hard to tie this sort of thing down as all reports of it have been somewhat subjective and not reproducible.

Could you try a short list (e.g. start playing a track in Album mode, and then enable "Shuffle Songs, Lists in Order") with no repeat mode enabled, and see how many tracks from the album are played, and if any of them are duplicated before the player halts at the end of the album.

Andre

18 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not easily, it simply shouldn't happen as long as you keep playback going. It's hard to tie this sort of thing down as all reports of it have been somewhat subjective and not reproducible.

Could you try a short list (e.g. start playing a track in Album mode, and then enable "Shuffle Songs, Lists in Order") with no repeat mode enabled, and see how many tracks from the album are played, and if any of them are duplicated before the player halts at the end of the album.

Andre

I will try doing just that and let you know. A couple of questions - If the shuffle is in play and you start playing songs and then stop playing the song currently playing and then restart that song, will the shuffle start over again? Also, is it correct to assume that if you close down PA and then start it back up again and use the shuffle mode, you will have a new shuffle sequence? Also, is there a way to delete duplicate songs from your all songs library as I know there is an option to delete dups in playlists?

If you fully stop playback (rather than just pause it) then I assume it would reshuffle when you start again, yes. Pausing alone does not reshuffle though, and you can still go backward through the previously played tracks (which is a good check to see if the same shuffled order is still in action). I assume the same should apply if you leave the app and return to it in the same session (as apps in Android don't really 'close' unless the system needs the space).

As far as I know, deleting duplicated songs from playlists only checks to see if the exact same path/filename is referenced more than once in a list, it does not check the actual audio data contents of the files. You would need a duplicate file cleaner for that. I've not used any on my phone (only on my PC) but a quick search suggests this one might be a possibility: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duplicatefilefixer

Andre

On 02/11/2016 at 7:55 PM, ciscokid422 said:

I also have the issue where the shuffle is not playing all the songs (in my playlist) before starting over. I often get the same song(s) repeated (as others have noted) over a short period of time. Is there a fix for this issue?

Just to check here. The repeated songs aren't actually from different albums are they? I eman, the same song from the original album, the Greatest Hits and a compilation that also contains that song, for example? I've also thought I've heard the same song in a short period of time but it was actually one of the above examples.

17 hours ago, dvhttn said:

Just to check here. The repeated songs aren't actually from different albums are they? I eman, the same song from the original album, the Greatest Hits and a compilation that also contains that song, for example? I've also thought I've heard the same song in a short period of time but it was actually one of the above examples.

I have seen that happen where you have the same song listed differently but I think there still are repeats with the same exact song. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this shuffling problem as well. The only way I figure it out to truly shuffle all of your songs is to put them in the queue and set the queue settings so that the queue will play shuffled.  as well (if you have it turned on). It works for me for now

**HOWEVER**

If I decide that while shuffling I want to hear a certain song I cannot use the search option because once I find that song and click on it, it is only added to the queue that I'm already listening to. So THEN I go into the queue and pray the song I'm looking for is properly tagged because I'm gonna have to manually find it. And I'd say at least 30% of my 2k song library is tagged poorly...if at all (I'm working on but so tedious!)

ADD A SEARCH FUNCTION FOR THE QUEUE, pretty please :), that when the song is chosen it plays as part of the current queue (and doesn't get doubly queued).

EDIT::::: I tried one last thing. I went to the Lists setting and chose the the option under List Item Click Action and chose "play and stay in the list"

As long as the queue option is checked to "return to queue" then you should be good. I have not fully tested this but I think it's going to work....

Please tell me I'm making sense.

Archived