How to Play Only Contents of One Folder?

Brick Nick

Hi, I just installed Poweramp, and have it set to folder view > hierarchy.

I would like to play (preferably shuffle) the contents of a single folder (or a folder containing other folders) and have playback stop when said contents have been played.

Is this possible?

(I have messed with settings as well as searched this site without finding what I'm looking for.)

Currently, when I tell Poweramp to shuffle the contents of a folder, it does so, and then starts playing music from some other random folder.

The only workaround(s) that I'm seeing is either to use the sleep timer (I haven't used it yet but I would assume this is something that stops playback after a set period of time) or to create a playlist of a folder's contents, assuming Poweramp stops playback when the contents of a playlist have been played.

Neither of these options are ideal, and I would assume there is a way to do what I'm trying to do.

Help!

Every time I fire up some new songs, the repeat setting reverts to Advance List.

I use hierarchical folder view. When I click the arrow next to a given album folder and select shuffle, and it begins to play, the repeat setting always goes back to Advance List.

I'm also wondering whether there's any way to change the display settings in folder view, specifically if the text can be made smaller (many album and track titles don't fit on the screen), and if the information displayed about each folder can be changed (currently it shows folder name, and underneath, it shows the folder's path, and underneath that, the # of files and folders contained within). Any way to simplify/save display space and just show the folder name?

If you select 'Shuffle' or 'Play' for a whole album from the albums list menu, PA will adjust both the shuffle & repeat settings accordingly for the mode you have selected.

Instead, go into the songs list and tap on the first track that you want to listen to in that album. That way, your Shuffle and Repeat settings will not be adjusted.

You can't reduce the amount of information shown in the Albums list at present, but Max was talking about adding an option to remove (or resize) the artwork to allow more to fit onto one screen, and if that ever happens I would have thought adding a few extra choices to the List Options at the same time shouldn't be too hard. Auto-scrolling all the entries in a whole list would just look messy.

Andre

1.   Thanks Andre. I think we're using two different view settings though. What you seem to be describing is the Library view. I am using Folders view, where I have the list options set to Hierarchy.

I have dozens of albums, organized via folders by music type etc, and I usually like to shuffle the songs in one album at a time. As I said, whenever I do this, the repeat setting reverts to Advance List.

It sounds like you're saying that Advance List Repeat is a setting that is attached to the Shuffle command, therefore every time I shuffle the contents of a folder, it will do this (and I will just have to manually change it back to Repeat Off every time). Is this correct, or is there a way to shuffle without this setting reverting?

2.   Many of my folder names are listed in black font, and many others in grey. Why?

3.   I'm still wondering if there are any options that can be changed to fit more on the screen at once time (again I'm using Folders view not Library), such as text size or anything else. (I tried changing text size in Android settings - didn't help.)

I have folders that contain 30+ albums, and albums that contain 60+ songs. Only about five albums show/fit on the screen vertically at any given time, and many album names, and especially song titles, only show the first couple words.horizontally.

4.   The max phone volume sometimes is not loud enough (I'm using phone speaker). I wasn't able to find any feature in PA to increase/boost volume further. Does anything like this exist?

I've had a number of recommendations to check out something called Viper4Android. Any thoughts on using this in conjunction with PA?

As I said, if you use the long-press (or submenu icon) on a folder name, album title, artist, etc and choose Play or Shuffle, then the playback Repeat & Shuffle settings will get changed to the ones appropriate to that feature. Instead, just open the folder that you want to play from and tap on the first song (or whichever one you want to listen to first). That will cause that song to start playing without altering whatever Repeat or Shuffle modes you have currently got set.

All of my folder names are listed in while, on a black background. I assume you must be using a different skin?

Also as I said before, there is currently no way to reduce the amount of content shown in the list display (whether the mode is Folders, Albums, Artists, etc). That may change in the future though.

There are ways to alter the max volume, but at the risk of reducing the digital headroom which might cause distortion if you boost the EQ settings too high for example. Turn the limiters off, or the preamp up, at your own risk...

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As I said, if you use the long-press (or submenu icon) on a folder name, album title, artist, etc and choose Play or Shuffle, then the playback Repeat & Shuffle settings will get changed to the ones appropriate to that feature. Instead, just open the folder that you want to play from and tap on the first song (or whichever one you want to listen to first). That will cause that song to start playing without altering whatever Repeat or Shuffle modes you have currently got set.

Ok, I misunderstood you the first time. I thought you were saying to just play the contents of the folder in order (track 1 then track 2 then track 3...) instead of shuffle. I didn't understand that just playing one track from a folder would still shuffle (just) the contents of that folder and stop at the end, as I want, but this does seem to work. Thanks.

All of my folder names are listed in while, on a black background. I assume you must be using a different skin?

Yeah, White Plastic HD. It shows folder names etc. in unbolded text, with some albums in grey and others in black.

Also as I said before, there is currently no way to reduce the amount of content shown in the list display (whether the mode is Folders, Albums, Artists, etc). That may change in the future though.

Ok. I guess the only way to view titles of folders/songs that are cutoff is to rotate the phone horizontally.

There are ways to alter the max volume, but at the risk of reducing the digital headroom which might cause distortion if you boost the EQ settings too high for example. Turn the limiters off, or the preamp up, at your own risk...

I found the settings you mentioned, although I'm not familiar with them. I'm sure there's a guide to using these settings somewhere. Any links would be appreciated.

Andre

When you pick a song to play from the folders list (or albums list, or artists, etc - they all work in much the same underlying way) that particular song will start playing using that chosen ordering system (folders, albums, artists, whatever). Playback will respect the settings that you have chosen via the Repeat and Shuffle icons in terms of the sequence of tracks that gets played next. However, as you've noted, if you use the long-press-on-folder-name menu, and pick Play or Shuffle from there, that will start with the first track in that folder, but it will also adjust the Repeat and Shuffle icon settings accordingly for the mode. I always use Folders mode too, and I start playback by tapping on the first track I want to listen to.

Yes, rotating the phone horizontally is currently the best way to see long titles in the folders/songs list. Sorry.

Preamp gain adjusts the volume applied before any of the equaliser values are added/subtracted. However if a track peaks at 100%, and then you add some bass to it for example, that could end up clipping the bass as it would try to go beyond a 100% digital level at times. There are various ways to help this, and the easiest is to turn the preamp down a bit. Or if you just want pure volume and don't care about other issues and occasional distortion (the "it goes up to 11" mindset :) ) then turn the preamp up a bit. The alpha-test of the new Poweramp v3 provides a lot more control in this area, including supporting high resolution output on some devices. I find that even as an alpha test this works very well, but you may prefer to stick with the release build for now of course.

Andre

Archived