New albums copied to Android phones (6.0.1) cannot be played

I have 2 different Android phones (6.0.1) with SD cards (Sony Z2 and LG G5). All worked fine until a few weeks ago - possibly Android OS update. Now when I copy new albums from my PC to the Music folder on the SD card, there are no transfer issues (simple drag and drop, USB cable connection).

I cannot see these albums in the "folders and albums" and therefore cannot play them. I have tried going into settings , confirming that the SD card is ticked etc and rescanned to no avail. On my Z2, I have  Power Media Player and the standard Android "Music" player. Both these see and play the new albums.

What is the issue?

Very interested in this resolution as I am the one whose S5 phone automatically updated from 5.1 to 6.0.1. I had my SDCARD removed for the update thinking I might safeguard my songs. After the update I reinserted my SDCARD and none of my 8,000 songs were able to be found owing to the new naming convention that 6.0.1 uses for the SDCARD.

What I got instead was a "FOLDER IS MISSING"Screenshot_2016-07-19.jpg

- TRY FULL RESCAN?"

I am holding off on doing a rescan which I suspect will wipe out all my ratings, EQ pre-sets, and playlists. Did you do a full re-scan and if so were your ratings etc.lost? Hoping to find a way forward with this app that does not involve days of reconstructive work.

You can always try exporting your playlists before a rescan clobbers them? But I think ratings/etc will be difficult to catch as they apply to specific files in specific places. (So do playlists of course, but once exported you can edit the path information).

What was the old SD Card path and what is the new one, as Max would like to look into this but no Android updates on his test devices have shown the problem. The old one was obviously /storage/extSdCard , which is normally the default on Samsung devices. What is it showing as now?

Andre

Ah, it's one of those mappings, I've come across that sort of naming before in a few other posts. Bonkers isn't it? I think it's related to whether the card is set up for internal access or portable access. There are a number of discussions about this on XDA and other places (e.g. http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony-themes-apps/request-mod-access-external-sd-card-t3353078 )

Andre

Mine is setup as are 95% of 6.0.1 as external storage which is consistent with add-on SDCARDS. To setup the SDCARD as an extension of the internal storage is flat out not recommended by most at this time. As external storage they will always have a number such as mine so nothing unusual about my 6.0.1 SDCARD naming. Still hoping to identify a way forward here. Best might be if PA 3.X imported ratings imparted by Theolink's playlist manager. Another way would be a Misc tool called "my SDCARD has been renamed" which prompt user for <PRIOR SDCARDNAME> as well as <NEW SDCARDNAME> which would then allow PA's database to SEARCH AND REPLACE old SDCARD REFERENCES with new SDCARD REFERENCES. I just prey for a solution!

As Watersport203 wrote all We are waiting for those Tool - for fixing / changing all paths in Poweramp congurations like ratings, playlists and others. It is very important and will be usefull for many people, which lost they they settings (with Android 6 update) and needs your help Poweramp team.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to the sdcard getting renamed in Marshmallow update the following link:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z4-Tablet/Third-party-apps-can-t-find-SD-card-after-Marshmallow-update-on/m-p/1105433#M1609

states:

Re: Third party apps can't find SD card after Marshmallow update on Z4 tablet

‎2016-03-17 02:16 PM

As JonC says, in Android 6.0, the path has been changed to /storage/xxxxxxxx, where xxxxxxxx is the serial number of the SD card. Third-party app developers should always use APIs provided by Google to access the external storage.

On the XDA Developers forum at http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/help/how-to-rename-external-sd-card-t3358234  there is apparently no way to create a symbolic link or added mount point that used the old sdcard name for Samsung which was another way I thought I might be able to salvage all my work. I was really hoping that after a month and a half that Max might have developed a plug-in tool that would address this problem and it is so flipping annoying that there has been no response from him.

Theolink is GENIUS!!! Problem solved. Here is what I ended up doing:

FINAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR WHAT I DID TO FIX PHONE which I can also use when I move to an S7 soon

1. Exported all playlist from Poweramp
  2. Used Playlist manager to export ratings
  3. Used DOS (CMD.EXE) to RENAME all *.M3U8 to *.txt
  4. Used FAR.exe, (FAR-2.0.1-win)  a nice little utility, to replace path to music which only works with .TXTs which is why I temporarily renamed *.M3U8 to *.TXT changing path from  /storage/extSdCard/   to   /storage/3337-3137/ 
  5. Far.exe fixed 300 playlists in 10 seconds
  6. Used DOS (CMD.EXE) to RENAME *.TXT back to *.M3U8
  7. Deleted all old PLAYLISTS in Poweramp
  8. In Poweramp>Library,  checked folders to scan including the folder where the newly modified PLAYLIST are located. Created a folder on my phone called Playlist_822. This folder needs to be checked in Poweramp Library
  9. Used Poweramp to Rescan all music
  10. Used Poweramp to import M3U8 file-based playlist
  11. Used Playlist Manager to IMPORT ratings back to songs!!!!

watersport, thak you, glad you were able to restore your ratings. You could also have skipped all the steps to update your m3u playlists as my app is able to import these "old" playlists and recreate new ones with the appropriate location. As a final step you would import these android playlists into Pa.

Theolink, I stuck with my S5 galaxy for fear of having to re-create all my Poweramp playlists and ratings. Your app frees my to switch phones. I will be moving from my S5 to a new S7 now that I can reliably migrate my ratings and playlist to a new phone and I will use your app to do all of the above and post my experience back to this forum.

Thanks again for your great app! So glad I did not re-scan but instead waited. Your app came along in the nick of time so that I was able to export my ratings before rescanning.

Archived