Question about List Option

Tungsten

I like to choose my playlist by Artists and want it to run by track # of each album first and then go to next album.

But when i choose List Option as By track #. It played the first song of each album and then the 2nd and so on. And when i choose By Album, it just went with order A-Z

Is their anyway i can arrange that? 

If you have three albums of the same artist they will play in turn once you start playing the first one, yes. Then it will continue to the next artist and play their albums.

Although I still can't see quite why plain 'Artists' mode won't work for you - where the top level is the list of Artists (sort by name), the next drill-down level is the album list for each artist (sort by name, or perhaps year might be a more common choice if you know the artist well), and the lowest level is the songs within each album (which you can sort by track #').

If you want to do something more complex (like maybe playing three albums in a repeating loop) then the easiest way to do it with some level of control would be add each album in turn to the queue (or for more permanent use, to a Playlist) in the order that you want them played. To do this, just long-press on the album title and select either Enqueue or Add to Playlist. Then once the list is playing, select 'Repeat List' as the repeat mode (using the icon in the lower-left of the artwork area).

Andre

Funnily enough I came here to resurrect my thread with the same issue but can't find a way to search for it. Maybe I misunderstood the advice I was given last time & this thread as well but I simply cannot get Poweramp to behave in a way I would expect. This is what I want to do:

1) Select an artist.

2) Play all albums by that artist.

3) Have each album play in track # order.

I'm not too fussed about what order the albums are sorted in but as per the OP here, I cannot get tracks to play in track order.

First issue is that holding an artist only gives me an option to play, no list or sort options. So I can't start it playing how I want.

If I then go to the Artist Songs/List Option in the tracks that are playing I can select:

By Track No. - This plays each track #1 from each album followed by each track #2, etc.

By Title - All tracks merged into a single alphabetical list.

By Album - Tracks for each album sorted alphabetically.

None of these are wanted/expected behaviour & I simply cannot understand the thought process behind the listing. Never had this issue with other systems.

Is the Artist Songs list over-riding the Song list setting? If so, how do I disable it?

I also can't find a simple Song list as is repeatedly quoted. There's an All Song list, an Album Song list, an Artist Album Song list & Artist Songs. Nowhere can I find just Song List.

Edit

For what it's worth I've now found the original thread & the advice is the same as here but it simply doesn't work.

Each different level within each different library category has its own List Options setting, they are all independent of each other and can be set as you wish.

So in this particular case, you'd want to set the following three sort orders:

1) Go to Library > Artists view and tap Menu > List Options and choose to sort the artist list "by Name".

2) Then tap on any artist's name (doesn't matter who) and you'll see a list of their albums. Again, tap Menu > List Options and choose how you'd like artist's Albums to be sorted (I would suggest "by year", but that's up to you, you may prefer alphabetically).

3) Finally tap on any album title from that same list, and again use Menu > List Options to chose how you'd like the actual songs within albums sorted (choose "by Track #" in this case).

Once that's done, those settings have been made for that category (Artists in this case, other view types can be set independently). There is no need to revisit these steps again each time, they are now saved.

Then when you are ready to listen to music, go to the Library > Artists view and tap on someone that you want to play, which will show you all their albums. If you want to start one of those albums from its begging, long-press on an album title and tap Play. Alternatively, you can tap on an album title to see the list of songs that it contains and tap on any one to start playback there. Playback will continue with all of that album in track order, then it will go on to the following album by that artist in track order, etc, etc.

Note: If you long-press on an Artist's name and press Play at that level, playback will start in the 'All Artist Songs' mode for that artist (which is the top item that you see when you drill down from an artist's name). If you plan to listen that way (which does not seem to be what people here are asking for) you'd be better setting the song-level sort order to "by name", as track number makes no sense when you are dealing with a whole list of song titles in one go (as you'd get all of the track #1s first, then all of the track #2s, etc).

Andre

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

which does not seem to be what people here are asking for

I'll leave the OP to speak for himself but I believe that's exactly what we're both asking for. Sorting by name will just give you one long alphabetical list comprised of all albums.

The only way to achieve the desired behaviour at the moment is to play an album by an artist & then go back & add the other albums to the Queue one by one. This is really clunky as each time you add an album you are taken back to the now playing screen & have to drill down to the artist again.

18 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If you plan to listen that way (which does not seem to be what people here are asking for) you'd be better setting the song-level sort order to "by name"

Well, yes. I don't think someone would like it to play by song name. At less not for Pink Floyd 'The Wall' for sure. 

Now i got your method, the song will run by track# and when the last one end, it jump to next album, which is cannot set loop for every album(only worked within album). But i like it to be loop so i simply solve this by made the Playlist just as you said. 

But I gotta say this, my little Sony NWZ-E380 and my old HTC One X+, when i choose the artist name it will show every song like this

Album 1

#1...

#2...

#3...

Album 2 

#1...

#2...

#3...

and so on. i can simply click any song and it still played by this order. Repeat loop also applied to every song.

no offense here, i don't know if other user mind about this, i just think this would be more easier to deal.

9 hours ago, rbz5416 said:

I'll leave the OP to speak for himself but I believe that's exactly what we're both asking for. Sorting by name will just give you one long alphabetical list comprised of all albums.

That's why I said not to do that, as it is indeed not what you want. Follow the steps I outlined originally to get what you want.

Andre

3 hours ago, Tungsten said:

Now i got your method, the song will run by track# and when the last one end, it jump to next album, which is cannot set loop for every album(only worked within album). But i like it to be loop so i simply solve this by made the Playlist just as you said.

Correct, if you set Repeat List it will repeat the currently playing group list - which in this case would be one album, not (for example) 5 albums by one artist. The only way to do that is via the All Songs By Artist selection, but that does not give two sort levels (so you could sort by album, but after that the actual tracks would be in the default alphabetical order for lists). 

As I said earlier, if you want to repeat a higher grouping level (such as all of one Artist, played in Albums and then Songs by track# order) then you'd need to do that via a Playlist (or the queue).

Andre

Drilling down to an album in the Artist list & playing it will, exactly as expected, ONLY play that album. It does not sequentially play other albums. But apparently if you track skip at the end of an album then it will commence the next album. Which kind of does what I what but I'd prefer to just be able to play without having to interact with Poweramp at the end of every album.

I have to say that this is all very counter-intuitive & clunky to the point where I think I need to look at another player.

23 minutes ago, rbz5416 said:

Drilling down to an album in the Artist list & playing it will, exactly as expected, ONLY play that album. It does not sequentially play other albums

I suspect you have Repeat mode turned completely off, which indeed plays just the current list (Album in this case) and then stops. To continue automatically on to subsequent lists, select the default Repeat option of 'Advance List'.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2016 at 9:06 AM, andrewilley said:

I suspect you have Repeat mode turned completely off, which indeed plays just the current list (Album in this case) and then stops. To continue automatically on to subsequent lists, select the default Repeat option of 'Advance List'.

Andre

Thanks.

That almost works with the exception that once it's played the last album, it then automatically moves onto the next artist...

Yes, that's what Advance List is meant to do, after each list is complete it moves on to the next one. There is no way to tell it to play a certain number of lists and then stop.

The only way to play a section of several albums and then stop would be to put them all in a Playlist, and play that list with Repeat set to Off (which plays the current list and then stops)

Andre

Archived