[bug] no folder sorting UI in hierarchy mode, but affecting player

My1

well let's cut it short.

I havent checked this on stable yet, so it might be that it's also there.

when you are in list or grid mode you can set the folder sorting to "name", "path" (which is bugged btw) or "added at".

when you are in hierarchy mode you wont have that option anymore, you only get file sorting, which is particularly annoying when you want to change it that you have to go back to list change it and go back into hierarchy mode.

but the worst thing is that even though it might look weird from many perspectives is that the player respects the folder sorting order even in hierarchy mode which makes this even weirder.

I guess viewing by Heirarchy can't use path sorting, as by definition the order is controlled by how you drill down into the path anyway and within each level only alpha sorting of the name makes sense.

What bugs do you have with path sorting by the way? I use it all the time, and it generally works pretty well.

Andre 

1 minute ago, andrewilley said:

as by definition the order is controlled by how you drill down into the path anyway.

in the list, but the player is affected by the sorting option.

THAT is the problem

sort by path go into hierarchy and swich through the folders via the "next list" button.

repeat with sort by name + hierarchy and notice the difference.

I dont really have a cam ready to take a video

1 minute ago, My1 said:

sort by path go into hierarchy and swich through the folders via the "next list" button.

repeat with sort by name + hierarchy and notice the difference.

Erm, yes, of course they are different. They are meant to be.

One lists all of your folders in one long alphabetical list, regardless of their nested position within subfolders. The other sorts by the nested levels first, and then the lowest level folders are sorted. That's how it's meant to work anyway.

Andre

but the problem is that you cannot access the setting for that in hierarchy mode without having to switch to list or grid.

what would make most sense would be to enforce path sorting in hierarchy.

Heirarchy shows files within a folder level at the END of any subfolders (i.e. the same way Windows does).

List mode does not show the files at all, showing the folder name instead which you have to drill down into (and in that case, the folder is showing correctly by path name, with the root level coming before its nested contents).

However I do see what you mean about Heirarchy mode playing music in the other order (root files first, then nested folders) which seems counter-intuitive compared to the library view and may indeed be a bug.

Andre

3 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Heirarchy shows files within a folder level at the END of any subfolders

3 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

List mode does not show the files at all, showing the folder name instead

I know, but that's not the point.

the problem is that when you are in hierarchy mode, even though the player still uses the folder sorting, you cannot change that setting without switching to list or grid.

9 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

However I do see what you mean about Heirarchy mode playing music in the other order (root files first, then nested folders) which seems counter-intuitive compared to the library view and may indeed be a bug.

this is actually also the problem when list+path sort, see the other thread.

even thout the parent folder comes first, when you go through it via the player it is somewhere else.

the thing that would make most sense would be to fix path sorting and then force it for hierarchy.

but then again a certain kind of folder sorting inside the hierarchy might also be possible, for example by date or reversed name or whatever but keeping the hierarchy.

For now, just use a nested subfolder rather than keeping files and folders in the same level. That will give you complete control as you can name the 'general' subfolder anything you want (I start my miscellaneous folders with a bracket, to force them to be sorted before other folders, but you could use an underscore instead if you prefer it the other way around)

Andre

Archived