Can't delete folders and files on SD Card

tonyb

Hi

I'm sure this is a much-covered subject but solutions I've read don't work or aren't applicable to me. I've got a full version of build 588 of Poweramp unlocked on my Sony Z5 Compact, running Android 6.0.

I copy albums in their folders to my phone from my PC into location <sd card>/Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/Music. After listening, I delete the album via Albums/long click on album/Delete.

When I delete a folder (ie an album of mp3s), the album will disappear from Poweramp but when I plug the phone in next time copy files from my PC, the folder and files are still there. At no point do I get the dialog on my phone to allow/deny SD card access. If I do a rescan, the deleted items don't show up. 

Any suggestions for how to fix this? How can I make the deleted items actually be deleted from my phone?

Please ask for any extra info I may have forgotten.

Thanks!

Tony

52 minutes ago, tonyb said:

Hi

I'm sure this is a much-covered subject but solutions I've read don't work or aren't applicable to me. I've got a full version of build 588 of Poweramp unlocked on my Sony Z5 Compact, running Android 6.0.

I copy albums in their folders to my phone from my PC into location <sd card>/Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/Music. After listening, I delete the album via Albums/long click on album/Delete.

When I delete a folder (ie an album of mp3s), the album will disappear from Poweramp but when I plug the phone in next time copy files from my PC, the folder and files are still there. At no point do I get the dialog on my phone to allow/deny SD card access. If I do a rescan, the deleted items don't show up. 

Any suggestions for how to fix this? How can I make the deleted items actually be deleted from my phone?

Please ask for any extra info I may have forgotten.

Thanks!

Tony

Tony, why copy into <sd card> /Android/data.commpz... etc. These are recognised as system folders and will have different permissions on them. Why not use the <sd card> musicfolder or create one called temp or something like that. Folders created by you will have all permissions (read/write) Anything deleted should not (and can not) reappear.

2 minutes ago, TheoKlink said:

Tony, why copy into <sd card> /Android/data.commpz... etc. These are recognised as system folders and will have different permissions on them. Why not use the <sd card> musicfolder or create one called temp or something like that. Folders created by you will have all permissions (read/write) Anything deleted should not (and can not) reappear.

Well that's a good question actually.

I've recently changed my phone from a Samsung S4 Mini to the Sony. As the Samsung was on a lower version of Android (4.4.2 I think), the only place I could delete mp3 files from was the folder deep in Android/data/com.maxmpz...etc. Even then, while mp3s were deleted, the folders and any other files that happened to be hanging around (.m3u, album cover jpgs, .cue files etc) were left in place. Regardless, the album's "modified" timestamp would be updated, making identification of the deleted albums obvious.

I'll try in a more user-friendly directory and update the thread with my findings. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ok, I deleted all my music from the system folder mentioned above, and copied in a couple of dozen albums from my PC to <sd card>/Music (at least navigating there is a lot easier!)

I went to delete an album, and was immediately met with the "Grant Access" dialog. First time! So I followed the guidelines at http:// forum.powerampapp.com/ index.php?/ topic/7451-grant-access/ and successfully selected my SD card. (That screen shot from maxmp is very valuable, I wouldn't have been able to work it out otherwise!). I can now view and play mp3s from the new location as expected.

I've tried deleting albums from both the "Folders" and the "Library" view. The album is removed from each view as expected. However, when I connect the phone to my PC again and navigate to <sd card>/Music, I can still see the deleted folders and all of their content.

Any further ideas for a fix? thanks!

A bit more info: the Sony Z5 Compact comes with File Commander, a separate explorer-style app. I can easily navigate to and successfully delete folders using this app.

Obviously I'd prefer to do it from Poweramp though!

Poweramp may be trying to delete the files but the OS is not actually doing it. Generally, manufacturer-supplied file explorer apps (as part of the system) can do this anyway. Have you tried the new alpha test releases, as I know Max made some changes there to accommodate newer versions of Android.

Andre

Thanks for the replies Theo and Andre.

I've not tried any of the new alpha releases, Andre - I'm not sure how to do this when it's not coming via the Google Pay Store, so could you give me a few tips? Is it as easy as navigating to the appropriate page on the Poweramp site and clicking on the .apk file? Is it easy to roll back to the Google Play version?

Another curious observation. I've created a new directory on my SD card, called mp3s. I've copied all my albums in there, and got on with the day's listening. When I delete an album via Poweramp, it goes from the album list. Also, examining the mp3s directory from File Commander also shows that they're deleted - although non-music files are still present, eg jpgs, cue files etc.

Then when I hook up the phone to my PC and navigate to the same directory, all the music files are still there! How odd.

looks like there is some synchronisation going on. The minute differences are detected, the folders are updated so they are the same. Try and delete something on your pc and delete something there. Then check your device. If it is gone there it proves some sync  process is running.

Archived