Poweramp alpha-build-703/704

maxmp

4 hours ago, psikey said:

Frequency option show 96khz but grey out ??  Is there somewhere else to change it ?

No, only in the experimental high-res output settings page. Don't forget this code was written more than a year ago now, and there have been a lot of changes in Android and new devices in the meantime that will need handling before v3 is ready for a full release. Please make sure that the details of your device have been logged in the High Res Requests thread though.

Andre

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, blvckjvck said:

Today my Poweramp beta is completely crazy. When i plug in my headphones and play, Poweramp doesn't play sound with headphones but with external speaker :o

Has anything else changed on your system, an Android update for example? Does this happen with regular output or in high-res mode?

Andre

On 2/1/2017 at 2:36 PM, andrewilley said:

March for the next beta

Andre, with all of my respect for you and Max trying to maintain the support and the forum... I'm starting to lose patience. And I'm a very patient person, believe me.

Just shed some light on this. Max is having issues with the code and is trying to find a subcontractor to get the material interface done, isn't it? Come on, this must be one of the problems.

7.x support is getting buggier and buggier and I can't find any alternatives to Poweramp. I bought the unlocker app 1 year ago, and now i'm willing to donate for the app's development. If that even helps, because Max definitely has enough money. I don't know, something's a little fishy...

3 hours ago, internetaddict24 said:

Max is having issues with the code and is trying to find a subcontractor to get the material interface done, isn't it?

No, Max is the sole developer of Poweramp. That's why progress seems to be so slow - if a task needs one man-year to complete, then it will take a year.

I believe he did try to subcontract some of the more modular sections of code (DLNA/Chromecast output for example) but that didn't go very well and outsourcing is no longer being considered.

In the meantime, please feel free to continue using the v2 stable release build rather than the more experimental features in the alpha test release of v3.   

Andre

No, Max is the sole developer of Poweramp. That's why progress seems to be so slow - if a task needs one man-year to complete, then it will take a year.

Yea, i know that, it is indeed pretty hard.

I believe he did try to subcontract some of the more modular sections of code (DLNA/Chromecast output for example) but that didn't go very well and outsourcing is no longer being considered.

Hmm, that's interesting. That might have been one cause of the delays.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm waiting for a new update from Max.

2 hours ago, clever_man said:

Can you imagine how much work needs to be done for release completely new version? I think you don't understand it.

I think a lot of people assume this sort of thing can be done in an afternoon, but it takes a LONG time. People also feel in some way entitled in some way to new regular versions because they paid a couple of dollars/pounds/whatever to purchase an existing version. 

However @simear2004, if you feel you are able to do it quicker then please feel free to write your own audio app, and we'll even mention it here for you.

Andre

For me Poweramp Alpha Build works perfect so far .I understand that many people have lost their patience ,but  it's better to have a perfect update at the end of the time and i think the end is coming soon;)

But  i don't understand , that Max is nothing comments here in this forum for a long time and he give no Status Quo of his work . I think , this would be helpful for many people .

Just now, aki said:

that Max is nothing comments here in this forum for a long time and he give no Status Quo of his work

He very busy. Instead of writing answers on useless comment like "why so long" or "Max where are you?" he writing code for app. After last release he collected a large list TODO.

1 minute ago, aki said:

But  i don't understand , that Max is nothing comments here in this forum for a long time and he give no Status Quo of his work . I think , this would be helpful for many people .

I really do not have any issue with Poweramp alpha as well. Sure, I would like to have new features, material design and so on ... But I cannot blame a guy for not providing these when he has clearly a lot on his mind. Doing 100% of the development alone is something that has to be accepted as his choice and people should accept it. If not, then there are other options to be examined instead of nagging in the forum.

However, it would be really nice to have an update from Max himself once in a while. Just one post (say on a monthly basis) to update the status of his work, maybe just to identify current goals/tasks and completion percentages. It will help people to see the direction of the development and what new features to expect and hopefully it will provide a sense of progress.

Andre is doing a fine job moderating the forum but talking to Max through Andre makes me wonder whether Max is real. Sometimes it feels like talking to God through a priest.

;)

I have friends that are Android developers and I can't see them working on UI for over a year. I know this is hard but if I would learn from 0 starting from now on I'm sure I could make something decent in over a year doing it as my primary job, 5days a week 8+ hours a day. Sorry but only explanation I can see is that Max don't spend that much time on his work as anyone could imagine. Coding UI is something between 2-3 months of work. I know it's not that much to compare but as someone who knew nothing I have learned in 2 months HTML, Css, PHP and scripting, maybe nothing super advanced but for God sake, it's a lot. So I really don't take any excuses that it's so hard that it took almost 1,5 year 

22 minutes ago, Brainscollector said:

Coding UI is something between 2-3 months of work.

That depends, a complex UI is…well…complex.

And Poweramp has a fairly complex UI for a mobile app.

UI is typically the most difficult & labour intensive part for a rich UI application, if you've ever worked on a project with a powerful UI, like content creation tools, you'll know how difficult it is.

I have had occasional glitches every few months or so but, considering I've been using the alpha version(s) on a daily basis ever since the beginning I'd say that in its' current state this alpha IS daily driver material.

Sure the High-Res function has been shot ever since Nougat came out but OpenSL still works well enough and the audio output is second to none so I feel like Max left it at a reasonably stable state while he went to work on actually finishing it.

People often don't realize that in development, things break multiple times while adding or fixing sth else and require a lot of back and forth.

A lot of the time it is better to just stay on an older version that has proven to work until the newer one has reached parity both stability and feature-wise.

Additionally, there are a lot of things we don't know but that people naturally assume, like for instance that Max is (still) able to support himself solely with this one app that he's developed and sold about a million times (according to the Play Store) in a span of 5 or 6 years and that as such he actually IS able to do this 40-45 hours a week.

I would be overjoyed to know that I will be able to download the newer beta in a month's time but it wouldn't be the end of the world if that didn't happen, I'd still be able to enjoy my music regardless using this version too!

Even if it takes a long time, I agree on the term long time as I'm a developer too but I doubt a successful app like Poweramp is taking more than a year to release a stable version. Been using the 703/704 version for close to year now. Hope you'll look at your kind fans. Thank you. 

On 3/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, musiclover said:

I really do not have any issue with Poweramp alpha as well. Sure, I would like to have new features, material design and so on ... But I cannot blame a guy for not providing these when he has clearly a lot on his mind. Doing 100% of the development alone is something that has to be accepted as his choice and people should accept it. If not, then there are other options to be examined instead of nagging in the forum.

However, it would be really nice to have an update from Max himself once in a while. Just one post (say on a monthly basis) to update the status of his work, maybe just to identify current goals/tasks and completion percentages. It will help people to see the direction of the development and what new features to expect and hopefully it will provide a sense of progress.

Andre is doing a fine job moderating the forum but talking to Max through Andre makes me wonder whether Max is real. Sometimes it feels like talking to God through a priest.

;)

I agreed to whatever said above by @musiclover . I also need Max to post about the status of the app. Only one post and thats it. I dont think it will take much time to write that as well. I know he is busy but for customer sake atleast he could post something( atleast one post ).

39 minutes ago, sonulohani said:

I also need Max to post about the status of the app.

To be fair, you don't NEED him to do anything of the sort, but I agree it would be nice if he felt he could spend some more time here. However he said that he found that when he did, he just got embroiled in long-winded discussions, ETA requests, etc which took him away from actually developing the app. 

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

However he said that he found that when he did, he just got embroiled in long-winded discussions, ETA requests, etc which took him away from actually developing the app.

It's up to Max not to. So far, he has been very consistent in not participating for the reasons above.

This is very rapidly become one of the most nonsensical forum discussions I am subscribed to :)

Just face it, Poweramp was great, for some is still great, and most probably will not get an update in a long time.

If you're that concerned with truly high quality music, just use NEutron if Poweramp doesn't work.

Sure, the UI isn't that great but when it comes to music, isn't it the tunes that matter?

If Poweramp still works for you, brilliant, just use that..

Whether Max abandoned Poweramp or not, whether he's taking a year or a week to release some form of an update...

I agree, it would be nice to have some form of communication, but as soon as Poweramp stopped working properly for me, I switched to Neutron which in my opinion is far superior to Poweramp anyway.

Do I feel bad recommending another player in a Poweramp forum?

Not at all as Andrewilley already disclosed even the developer himself has abandoned this forum.

So fill your boots, download Neutron, curse at the UI for a couple of hours whilst you set it up for your personal preference and after that just don't look back and enjoy way superior sound.

Archived